What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attention Musos

DJDL

Bench
Indeed they are, though, like any make, they will have their entry-level models which may or may not be to your liking.

It’s kind of a subjective question.

Kind of like asking if Nikes are good shoes. Sure, but it depends what you want them for. Sport/exercise? Great. Evening wear? Not so.

So with guitars, what style of music are you looking at? Neil Diamond strum along? Perfect (he plays Ovation). Delta blues/slide? Not so. RHCP-style funk? Not really. Death metal? Forget about it.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Sorry, wrong thread

Thought you were looking for a muse.

Last edited:

bluefox68

Staff member
Thanks, guys...

Yeah, the music store salesman talked me out of it...

The guitar looked great, but he reckons the one I was looking at was better when amped up, but not good at all as a straight acoustic.

Sorry for the lack of info...

It's a 21st birthday present for my son - I wanted electric acoustic around the $1200 mark... He plays really well, but not in a band, or anything - just to jam with mates etc...

We ended up getting a Yamaha electric acoustic with the built-in amp (with effects). It sounds great.

Weaponhead

Coach
Thanks, guys...

Yeah, the music store salesman talked me out of it...

The guitar looked great, but he reckons the one I was looking at was better when amped up, but not good at all as a straight acoustic.

Sorry for the lack of info...

It's a 21st birthday present for my son - I wanted electric acoustic around the $1200 mark... He plays really well, but not in a band, or anything - just to jam with mates etc...

We ended up getting a Yamaha electric acoustic with the built-in amp (with effects). It sounds great.
You're a good Dad, Bluey.

DJDL

Bench
You've done well, Bluey.
Yamaha make a very nice instrument.
At around the price point you're talking I'm sure it's a lovely guitar.

Mojo

Bench
A good Ovation is magnificent. Most serious acoustic players froth Martin - but I think they’re overrated. I learnt on a Riviera when I was a kid. I think it cost $35 new and I got it as a Chrissy present, all busted up. Bought myself an Eko for my 21st (Italian - they don’t make them anymore as far as I know) - nice tone but gutless volume. Bought an Ibenez Ovation styled acoustic a few years ago - it’s a great guitar. I reckon the pro would be giving good advice. A $1200 Yamaha will be a great guitar. Your son is very, very lucky.

bluefox68

Staff member
A good Ovation is magnificent. Most serious acoustic players froth Martin - but I think they’re overrated. I learnt on a Riviera when I was a kid. I think it cost $35 new and I got it as a Chrissy present, all busted up. Bought myself an Eko for my 21st (Italian - they don’t make them anymore as far as I know) - nice tone but gutless volume. Bought an Ibenez Ovation styled acoustic a few years ago - it’s a great guitar. I reckon the pro would be giving good advice. A $1200 Yamaha will be a great guitar. Your son is very, very lucky.
Thanks…

Mojo

Bench
Thanks…
It is a Martinez Ovation style acoustic - electric, not Ibenez, sorry. Surprisingly great little guitar. Turns out Eko are still producing too. All irrelevant facts. I guess the subtext is that music is magic. The variety of instruments is infinite. The best artists work magic regardless.

Uncool old guys like me would call it digging a groove.

Last edited:

DJDL

Bench
It is a Martinez Ovation style acoustic - electric, not Ibenez, sorry. Surprisingly great little guitar. Turns out Eko are still producing too. All irrelevant facts. I guess the subtext is that music is magic. The variety of instruments is infinite. The best artists work magic regardless.

Uncool old guys like me would call it digging a groove.

Thank you! That dude is my kind of player.

Haven’t felt inspired to dust off my guitars and play for ages, but that just might do it.

I’ve had delta blues stuff floating around my head lately so this is right up my alley 👍

Quigs

Immortal
Pssssts ..... There is a very good Buddy Guy doco on SBS on demand if you get a chance. I started watching it yesterday prior to a certain RL trial game kicking off.

I've got about 30 mins left to watch.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Pssssts ..... There is a very good Buddy Guy doco on SBS on demand if you get a chance. I started watching it yesterday prior to a certain RL trial game kicking off.

I've got about 30 mins left to watch.
Have you got enough coins to put in the idiot box?