What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland side to join Premier League

girvie

Staff member
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3799797a1823,00.html

Mt Albert wants to join big league

17 September 2006
null.gif
By STEVE KILGALLON

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Warriors may no longer stand alone as Kiwi rugby league's only side in an elite Australian competition following an audacious bid by the Auckland Lions to play in the National Rugby League's reserve grade.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]And the old-school tradition of watching three grades play on one day could return with the Warriors and the Auckland Rugby League planning a combined side in a proposed NRL under-20 competition. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Warriors appear to be backing the proposal from the Lions, the country's strongest club side, to play in the NSWRL Premier League from next year. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]They would suit up in blue and white to generate cross-Auckland appeal, play home games at Mt Smart Stadium as Warriors' curtain-raisers and draw on Warriors fringe players. Kiwi coach Brian McClennan could be offered a director of football role. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Lions have been lobbying senior Australian league officials and plan to lodge a formal bid within a fortnight. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The team is the defending Bartercard Cup champion and is run from the famous Mt Albert club, which was the forerunner of the Warriors when they bid for a place in the Winfield Cup in 1989. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Lions would still field a Bartercard side, but bid leader Tony Sadgrove, the club's chairman, said the concept was designed to add the "missing rung of the ladder" between that competition and the NRL. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We already have the players, the management and the ground: I think we would be competitive almost immediately," said Sadgrove. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]"We think it is a very good idea with a lot of pros, and not many cons. People think we wouldn't be able to do it - but we've been through all of this when we first explored the Warriors idea." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]Sadgrove intends to seek NZRL support this week and emphasised the move was not intended to be divisive: "The Bartercard Cup is a good competition ... but it isn't quite at the level where players can step straight into the NRL." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The Warriors no longer want to farm out spare players to different clubs. Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club was weighing its options but admitted Premier League was "a competition we have to get into". He is awaiting an NRL decision on the viability of an under-20 competition. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]A cautious ARL chairman Cameron McGregor said both plans were "very preliminary at this stage" but indicated the ARL would be guided by the Warriors' desires. [/FONT]

yakstorm

First Grade
Hmm you would have to assume the NZRL would be against this proposal....considering they have been trying hard to raise the profile of their Bartercard Cup competition....

girvie

Staff member
I think it would be good.

The initial concern is wondering who will be paying for teams to travel to NZ plus accommodation. And also how can Auckland afford to fly to Aus every two weeks when they are only a Premier League team?

They had the best solution in 2000 when the Jets were their Premier League feeder. After the Tainui went kablooey, the NZRL put the kybosh on it.

Only taken them five years to figure out that their young 'uns need a tougher prep than Bartercard can provide.

If they hook up with a Sydney feeder as they did with the Jets, then there's no need for whole teams to go back and forth every weekend. But that would be too sensible...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:? I realise Canberra is in the ACT, but in essence ACT is within the state of NSW. That aside, the NSWRL would be once again looking outside it's actual border to introduce such a team.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
:? I realise Canberra is in the ACT, but in essence ACT is within the state of NSW. That aside, the NSWRL would be once again looking outside it's actual border to introduce such a team.

Yes, and?

2 True Blues

Coach
New Zealand arn'nt the only side to not have a team in the NSWRL. Nth Queensland used to however pulled out several seasons back, and obviously Bris Broncs don't either.

Jeffles

Bench
I think airfares will kill this. And I hope for the sake of the NZ domestic comp that more resources stay within NZ.

2 True Blues

Coach
Jeffles said:
I think airfares will kill this. And I hope for the sake of the NZ domestic comp that more resources stay within NZ.

I read that they ar coffing up the airfares. No wonder they had final say over the jersey situation. LMAO....................

jilliby kitty

Juniors
The right of reply

Concerning my ejection form this forum last week I would like to state my case as I was not allowed to last week publicly

(1) the story I posted was deleted for the reason that my story was somehow untrue .i gave my source as sky news obviously the moderator failed to check this before acting . as it was directly supported by the tele 5/3/007 pages 2 ANTI TERROR UNIT,,,,”

(2) to this end the judgement and impartiality of Diablo must be questioned. the said moderator deleted the post without any notification. then proceeded to delete other posts.Asking why? While saying nothing .if this is moderators “BEST PRACTICE” then say so and we can all leave this place to the thumpers

(3) there was clamed to be a plethora of notification .this is untrue .i received
messages. email notification basically only saying “you got a private messages” most
of these Messages were in reply to me asking first if I was visible then asking who
was deleting my posts. 4 or 5 Hours later Diablo finally mailed that he was the
coward deleting posts without notification

(4)as I was finding every thing I said being deleted by the alleged coward I proceeded to
post sarcastic comments at the end of posts with the intention of pissing off the said
coward .but as there is a time component in the site that interrupts this a flooding it
boot my arse as a consequence

(5) at the time I was truly ropable. I had returned from watching parra choke .and in fine
Spirts, Was looking forward to a little word play. had the alleged coward reported his
dubious deeds I would have acknowledged it and moved on but as he neither did this
nor indicated that he was deleting posts .i keep asking to the point where I called the
alleged coward a “gutless c” .i don’t retract this .and say to the shrieking princesses.
buy a box of tissues .
in the words of john singleton “people who don’t use words like f & c shouldn’t
be playing rugby league”(here here) and as this is still and RL I’ll live with that

(6) the agenda now is Diablo should come forward and give reason why he act so ineptly.
Was he goaded into doing this by a third party ?did he act alone in so should surrender
his moderating privileges as this is clearly beyond his capabilities

Just quietly

Jilliby kitty

Latest posts