What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie Rules, survival chance?

Will Aussie Rules survive the 21st century?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GBT

Juniors
Not being someone who wishes to see the end of what is percieved by many to be the most Australian of sports.

Will Australian Rules Football survive the 21st century?

In it's own backyard, it will take some moving and, hopefully, will survive. But as internationalism takes hold, sports like Aussie Rules and to a lesser extent, both rugby codes must surely be aware that survival isn't a birthright.

groggo

Juniors
:D i think the international version is a bit of a joke but nationally the afl is going great guns but to be truely national one would think ya need a team in tassie and in the NT also

bucko

Juniors
Yeah the game will definately survive the 21st century. It's a great game which can still evolve. Hopefully the international scene will improve though because it will lift the height of the game a lot more.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
I dont see why it wouldnt survive.

it is still evolving as we can see by the introduction of alternate goal scoring methods in the pre-season matches. its also still the most watched football in australia.

i dont think that the international version will take off but its not crucial to the suvival of the sport

bucko

Juniors
The new rules they trialled in the pre-season were an interesting idea. I think the rushed behind was an idea, but possibly 2 points instead of 3. The 9 point goal was exciting, but as much as I liked it, I think it may be taking the game a little too far. It would lead to some ver judicious calls that could decide games and spark some controvosy.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
of course it will survive, as long as the non-victorian sides keep on doing well, then the turnover is coming from all over Australia and not just Victoria. Maybe a second Brisbane or Sydney team could be on the cards!

bucko

Juniors
That would be a good idea I think. Perhaps a side from the Northern Territory even?

CyberKev

Staff member
Tamazoid said:
Globalisation will kill AFL while it will be a boon for League, an international game.

Roobish...

Globalisation is no guarantee of future success for RL, which is hardly an international game in the same way that Soccer, Rugby Union & Basketball are.

At any rate, globalisation can also serve to heighten elements of localisation in response. The AFL is soundly esconsed in the national imagination and gets excellent exposure in the national media. Its lack of global presence ensures that it doesn't get lost in the plethora of sports available internationally. For many people, the fact that AFL is a uniquely Australian sport is what adds to its appeal.

Sorry to shatter your delusions, but AFL isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

CyberKev

Alan Shore

First Grade
bucko said:
Yeah the game will definately survive the 21st century. It's a great game which can still evolve. Hopefully the international scene will improve though because it will lift the height of the game a lot more.

Great game & AFL....in one sentence.....

*fits of laughter follow*

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
yea like Gay.f.l is the most watched game in oz :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe at games it is,but nrl kills it in t.v ratings by so much that most codes could be put together in this country and they still wouldnt have as many ppl watching it as they do with the greatest game :D

makes me :lol: when ppl say Gay.f.l is more popular than league.
simple fact that more than half the population live in league strong holds around oz,and yet they continue to say they have more support :lol:

CyberKev

Staff member
ParraEelsNRL said:
yea like Gay.f.l is the most watched game in oz :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe at games it is,but nrl kills it in t.v ratings by so much that most codes could be put together in this country and they still wouldnt have as many ppl watching it as they do with the greatest game :D

makes me :lol: when ppl say Gay.f.l is more popular than league.
simple fact that more than half the population live in league strong holds around oz,and yet they continue to say they have more support :lol:

And they do, you tool.

NRL only beats AFL viewing wise in NSW & QLD, because they are RL states and most people like to watch games of Friday nights when the NRL gets an 8.30 time slot and AFL gets a run after 11.

AFL wins the other states comfortably, and has a sound presence in Sydney & Brisbane whereas RL has a painfully minimal one in Adelaide Perth & even Melbourne.

No doubt you'll go to the Sydney viewing figures and tell me that the NRL GF draws more viewers than the AFL GF. I'll save you the time by clueing you in to the fact that according to NATIONAL viewing figures, the AFL GF commonly draws a million more viewers than the AFL GF each year.

Obviously Channels 9 & 10 were concerned about AFL's TV drawing power when they signed-off on the largest deal in domestic television history so they could have the free-to-air AFL rights.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Wasn't the NRL previously the GayRL and aren't the Australian Kangaroos the GayRL's international side?

If you're quarrel is limited to name calling, at least give it some ingenuity - a scimitar rather than the same old cudgel.

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
If you're quarrel is limited to name calling, at least give it some ingenuity - a scimitar rather than the same old cudgel.

Well said, Gav :)

Of course, I should have ended my last post by pointing out the sheer irrelevance of viewing figures when it comes to assessing the relative merits of individual sports...

You only have to look at the shows that regularly fill the top ten viewing slots in Australia to feel very afraid.

Guff like 'Australia's fattest cat patters' will always outrate quality fare like 'The West Wing' by about 4-1, which only adds further credence to the view that TV is the opiate of the masses.

CyberKev

El Diablo

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
Guff like 'Australia's fattest cat patters' will always outrate quality fare like 'The West Wing' by about 4-1, which only adds further credence to the view that TV is the opiate of the masses.

CyberKev

What a beaut idea for a TV show :lol:

Australia's Fattest Cat Patters. I like it!!

CyberKev

Staff member
El Duque said:
What a beaut idea for a TV show :lol:

Australia's Fattest Cat Patters. I like it!!

As the old song (allowing for seasonal adjustments) goes... "He ain't heavvvyy, he's my motherrrr!"

Would it be a bit too Austin Powers of me to say that I've stroked Pussy galore before??? :twisted:

I doubt that I've got the padding to pull-off the big prize, however, although I suppose a kilo is as good as a ton to an anorexic.

Now I'm just being silly... I'd best sign-off before I totally lose it...

Here puss puss puss.

CyberKev

iggy plop

First Grade
Globalisation is no guarantee of future success for RL, which is hardly an international game in the same way that Soccer, Rugby Union & Basketball are.

League is still an international game ya goose. Heard of the Roo tour at the end of the year? Australia plays 3 tests against GB in the game they actually play here. Not like the AFL which has to play a totally differnet game to get an international. Joke.

iggy plop

First Grade
No doubt you'll go to the Sydney viewing figures and tell me that the NRL GF draws more viewers than the AFL GF. I'll save you the time by clueing you in to the fact that according to NATIONAL viewing figures, the AFL GF commonly draws a million more viewers than the AFL GF each year.

Not last year mate. Taking regionals into consideration, the NRL beat the AFL. Get over it, your sport isn't that big outside little ole vic, wa and sa.

CyberKev

Staff member
[quote="iggy plop

[/quote]

League is still an international game ya goose. Heard of the Roo tour at the end of the year? Australia plays 3 tests against GB in the game they actually play here. Not like the AFL which has to play a totally differnet game to get an international. Joke.[/quote]

Barely...

At any rate, in Australia you will need to be strong domestically to survive and the AFL is well ahead on this score.

Not last year mate. Taking regionals into consideration, the NRL beat the AFL. Get over it, your sport isn't that big outside little ole vic, wa and sa.

Wrong again! I was working on total national figures as compiled by Neilsen, with the AFL GF again comfortably beating the NRL in figures.

As for your other comment, tell me again how big the NRL is outside of NSW & QLD. The AFL maintains a solid presence in hostile states, but the NRL can't say the same, alas.

CyberKev