What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussies have rewritten history

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
When did Australia become the authority on how Rugby League should be played? They have rewritten the entire rule book and I can't believe that was a Rugby League match we have just watched tonight, it was indistinguishable at times from what we know as the sport over here.

No wonder Australia won't play GB with a neutral referee, no bloody wonder. The most glarring thing about it was the play the balls. I said last week that in Super League New Zealand would have been penalised off the field, tonight was far, far worse.

There were times in that game tonight where GB regularly went 75 metres in 5 tackles such was the dominance in the forwards. Despite this there were no, count them, no quick play the balls. Why? Because apparantly its now in the rules that the defending side can choose how long they hold down for. Whenever GB made a half break the Australian player who completed the tackle just lay motionless on top of the grounded player until every single one of the defensive line was set, even holding them down whilst they looked around and checked everyone was back. No penalties for this? Not one. Whenever Australia made a half break the GB players were up like a shot, fearing being penalised like they would be in Super League, thus creating more pressure for themselves.

And when did the high tackle rule change from being shots to the head to shots to the shoulder being penalised? Cunningham's hit in front of the post hit the guys arm, then shoulder and was penalised. Fitzgibbon didn't get any tackle tonight below the nose, and did more head locks than Hulk Hogan managed in his career. No penalties? Not one. The passage of play where one of the GB backs span out of three high shots in a row, then was elbowed on the floor was absolutely farcical. Mander didn't even blink.

Standing square at the play the ball too. Is this rule not applied in the NRL? Australia played tonight with two markers side by side, and a sweeper 5 yards back from that. Despite this when Cunningham or Higham exposed this by running at them for the clearest of penalties in the world, Mander allowed them to complete the tackle without penalising them?

Fair play to Australia for coming through in the end. The dominance of the pack by GB was worked around through some true brilliance in the halves and three quarters. For GB I thought our front row was immense tonight. Fielden was easily the best prop on show, Morley and Thackray supported him well. Peacock ran hard and Cunningham played well again, after coming back from his mistake with the interception.

It was the halves that cost GB again. How many times did we get to 10 yards from the Aussie line, only to sit there for 5 tackles without anything like a dangerous pass or run from the half backs. Again tonight only Cunningham had the ability to create a try, Harris was alright but Deacon was appalling again. They are international half backs who do not possess the ability to pass someone into a gap or go through themselves.

No problems with the result as we are clearly a step behind still. But the authorities need to sit down before the Super League and NRL kick off again and iron out how the game should be refereed. This should then be applied consistently in both competitions, as at the moment they are worlds apart in key areas.

If GB could find a fullback and two half backs by next year we could be competitive.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Fair enough Freak its 50% strop and 50% truth I'll admit that.

But watch how Super League is refereed and interpreted and how the NRL is. They are not similar, which causes tremendous frustration at international level.

Copa

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
When did Australia become the authority on how Rugby League should be played? They have rewritten the entire rule book and I can't believe that was a Rugby League match we have just watched tonight, it was indistinguishable at times from what we know as the sport over here.

No wonder Australia won't play GB with a neutral referee, no bloody wonder. The most glarring thing about it was the play the balls. I said last week that in Super League New Zealand would have been penalised off the field, tonight was far, far worse.

There were times in that game tonight where GB regularly went 75 metres in 5 tackles such was the dominance in the forwards. Despite this there were no, count them, no quick play the balls. Why? Because apparantly its now in the rules that the defending side can choose how long they hold down for. Whenever GB made a half break the Australian player who completed the tackle just lay motionless on top of the grounded player until every single one of the defensive line was set, even holding them down whilst they looked around and checked everyone was back. No penalties for this? Not one. Whenever Australia made a half break the GB players were up like a shot, fearing being penalised like they would be in Super League, thus creating more pressure for themselves.

And when did the high tackle rule change from being shots to the head to shots to the shoulder being penalised? Cunningham's hit in front of the post hit the guys arm, then shoulder and was penalised. Fitzgibbon didn't get any tackle tonight below the nose, and did more head locks than Hulk Hogan managed in his career. No penalties? Not one. The passage of play where one of the GB backs span out of three high shots in a row, then was elbowed on the floor was absolutely farcical. Mander didn't even blink.

Standing square at the play the ball too. Is this rule not applied in the NRL? Australia played tonight with two markers side by side, and a sweeper 5 yards back from that. Despite this when Cunningham or Higham exposed this by running at them for the clearest of penalties in the world, Mander allowed them to complete the tackle without penalising them?

Fair play to Australia for coming through in the end. The dominance of the pack by GB was worked around through some true brilliance in the halves and three quarters. For GB I thought our front row was immense tonight. Fielden was easily the best prop on show, Morley and Thackray supported him well. Peacock ran hard and Cunningham played well again, after coming back from his mistake with the interception.

It was the halves that cost GB again. How many times did we get to 10 yards from the Aussie line, only to sit there for 5 tackles without anything like a dangerous pass or run from the half backs. Again tonight only Cunningham had the ability to create a try, Harris was alright but Deacon was appalling again. They are international half backs who do not possess the ability to pass someone into a gap or go through themselves.

No problems with the result as we are clearly a step behind still. But the authorities need to sit down before the Super League and NRL kick off again and iron out how the game should be refereed. This should then be applied consistently in both competitions, as at the moment they are worlds apart in key areas.

If GB could find a fullback and two half backs by next year we could be competitive.
I blame your team for losing.

griff

Bench
The point is right, GB don't do the little unattractive things that you have to do to win RL games. They don't get quick play the balls, they stand flat footed in attack rather that hitting the ball at pace, they don't win at the tackle to prevent the opposition getting a role on.

In Super League, the good teams can not do all this and still win easily because they have more skill. In the NRL, it is so much more evenly matched in terms of skill that nine times out of ten the team that wins the ruck contest wins the game.

Scorpio30

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
Whenever GB made a half break the Australian player who completed the tackle just lay motionless on top of the grounded player until every single one of the defensive line was set, even holding them down whilst they looked around and checked everyone was back.

I noticed this in I think the first NZ test, they stack themselves three high then slloooowwwllyyy pell off one by one.

Good teams adapt to the interpretation of the rules. Australia and NZ have tested the refs and so far have not been seriously troubled. Yet another reason why GB is so far behind. If Australia holds down and it hampers the Gb attack, it seems pretty simple to me that GB should do the same. But also the GB players simply don't play the ball as quick. Look at guys like Gasnier, Cooper, Minichiello etc they are up on their feet before the Pommie tacklers know what to do. I don't like quick play the balls, it encourages too much dummy half running and blokes running at retreating defenders to milk a penalty. I think slightly longer rucks is a good thing but Gb can't complain about it if they're not smart enough to follow suit.

Also to suggest the English style of footy is better to watch is crazy. The Poms have very little attacking ability and when they do score tries it usually comes from a one-out run by a big bloke. NZ and Australia play a far more entertaining brand of footy and that's how the game should be played.

innsaneink

Referee
Supporter of a losing team bitching about the ref....how novel.

Ever heard the saying, "Well two can play at that game."???

ozboy

Juniors
GB are just not up to standard.

QLD Cup standard that is
icon10.gif

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Need some halves, at least one, have done since Tommy B.
Perhaps train with one of those soccer teams and learn how to kick.
Until then................whinge away.

mickdo

Coach
Poms don't seem to have beaten us in a series in 30 something years (correct me if I'm wrong), maybe more, yet every time we beat them it's the ref's fault, or the rules, or the interpretations, or not having neutral refs, or our tackling style, or home field advantage, or time of the year the games are played, or the weather, or the type of ball used... but never the players themselves :lol:

Take a long hard look at yourself.

Sean7

Juniors
In Australia they play tackle rules. In England thay play touch rules. Simple as that.

Calixte

First Grade
I must say the British performance overnight was immensely disappointing (for a neutral) because they continue to stray too far from their traditional game of using the ball.

The major issues are in the halves. The creativity of Long and McGuire is invaluable to GB. Deacon and Harris (who has gone backwards in skill since going to union) are simply not up to the required standard. Deacon certainly tried hard but even his normally good kicking was, at times, very ordinary.

But more than that, it is a matter of the wrong philosophy. GB will never beat Australia trying to play Australia at their own game of percentages, field position and strength/power.

The moronic comments of Mike Stevenson, whose methods were even out-dated when he played in the 1970s, emphasise the problems.

GB cannot, I repeat cannot, beat Australia by trying to hang in by a couple of points until the dying stages of the game.

Instead of the monumentally negative gameplan when they wasted mountains of territory and chances to score at 6-8, they should have been moving the ball and trying to score, not one, but at least two tries (preferably converted) to bury the Australians.

That combined with their inability to pin Australia on their line (a la the Kiwis driving Australia back into the in-goal from 10m out), by merely holding and not driving players back, were the biggest factors in their defeat.

The most classy GB wins over the last fifteen years or so - First Test Wembley 1990, Second Test Melbourne 1992, even last year's second match against the Kangaroos in the 2004 TN - have clearly demonstrated how GB need to play Australia.

I do fear however that the current GB squad, less the crucial three of McGuire, Long and Sculthorpe, lacks the requisite gamebreakers to really threaten Australia and NZ this year.

ali

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:

I don't know what more Mathers has to do to get picked. Every time I've seen him play lately he's gone well. Wellens is way too slow to cause Australia any major problems. Mcguire obviously solves one half problem, I'd pair him with Thorman or his Leeds mate Burrow. But neither of these 2 appear to be good enough at this stage. But 2 out of 3 is a step in the right direction.

Honestly I can't believe it's taking so long for the next generation to come through. You have been strong at under 18 level for the last 5 or so years. Why is Noble so scared to pick some of these guys. Ok, the likes of O'Loughlin and Hock are injured, but someone like Mathers is worth taking a risk on. Others gun juniors like Ryan Bailey and Kevin Brown appear to have gone backwards though.

I like the look of that big red headed prop at StHelens. Graham is it?