What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia A v England

beads6

First Grade
I think its abit silly to assume that Smith is certain to improve his bowling.

It's just quite as likely that he simply isn't good enough and will never really progress.

As has been said, leg break bowling is the hardest thing to do in cricket so it's quite likely that he could go the way of Cameron White.

It is common knowledge that Leg spinners don't get it right until there mid to late 20's Warne was the exception. Smith is a better bat then White already and bowls hanndy leggies but he really needs to land the first few to get a roll on. What would a pom know about Leg spin anyway?? You could tell us how to get out to a leggie though...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's only about 20, he'll get better

the poms definitely went after him yesterday, not a bad ploy from them

yappy

Bench
Hasn't taken Copeland long to get into the wickets on day 3. Bailey gone for 9, Tassie 4/79 and Copeland 2/15 off 11.

yappy

Bench
Smith bowling better this morning.

Copeland has got Cosgrove now for 3/29 off 15.

yappy

Bench
Hauritz drops Maher off Copeland. Would have given Copeland his 10 and won the game for NSW.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Copeland with 9 for NSW.

Hauri got belted for 7 off 1 over then got hooked.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Notch with a Michelle for WA, seems a lock in now, only going for 2 an over too,

nice change in form for him

aussies1st

Staff member
Disgrace to the Baggy Blue is that Hauritz, just dropped the match and Copeland's 10 wicket haul.

Red Bear

Referee
Spud. Catch was going straight to 3rd slip, Hauritz goes across in front of him and puts it down.

Bastard!

yappy

Bench
I'm not a Haurie hater, but that hurts. Can't blame him for not making a contribution with the ball in the conditions, and he isn't there to make runs, but putting down a match winning catch just cruels the guys like Copeland who have done the job.

Watson bowled well today picking up a Michelle. I've never had a wrap on him, but his bowling is really improving.

Red Bear

Referee
I think its abit silly to assume that Smith is certain to improve his bowling.

It's just quite as likely that he simply isn't good enough and will never really progress.

As has been said, leg break bowling is the hardest thing to do in cricket so it's quite likely that he could go the way of Cameron White.
He's not certain to, but there is plenty of positive signs. White never really flightest the ball or got turn, which Smith is able to do. Smith however has a mediocre trajectory at presnt, which means batsmen can really just wait for the bad ball. The ball he got Prior with today, however, was very good, drifted in and turned just enough.

Warne was a freak for having such control so early, but most leggies dont mature till a bit later, so there is alot to like about Smith at this stage.

He may not ever quite make it as a leggie, and he certainly shouldnt be picked in the test side based on his bowling at this stage, but you'd be silly to ignore the potential.

Probably end up like a leg spinning Dan Vettori IMO, bat about number 7 average 30ish with the ball and score alot of runs, One can hope!

Red Bear

Referee
I'm not a Haurie hater, but that hurts. Can't blame him for not making a contribution with the ball in the conditions, and he isn't there to make runs, but putting down a match winning catch just cruels the guys like Copeland who have done the job.

Watson bowled well today picking up a Michelle. I've never had a wrap on him, but his bowling is really improving.
It's why I think we should play a spinner at the Gabba - would a fourth quick offer much different to the 10-15 overs Watson can roll through? May as well have a spinner there for the variety, dont have to bowl him in long spells or anything but you need something different.

MSIH

Bench
He's not certain to, but there is plenty of positive signs. White never really flightest the ball or got turn, which Smith is able to do. Smith however has a mediocre trajectory at presnt, which means batsmen can really just wait for the bad ball. The ball he got Prior with today, however, was very good, drifted in and turned just enough.

Warne was a freak for having such control so early, but most leggies dont mature till a bit later, so there is alot to like about Smith at this stage.

He may not ever quite make it as a leggie, and he certainly shouldnt be picked in the test side based on his bowling at this stage, but you'd be silly to ignore the potential.

Probably end up like a leg spinning Dan Vettori IMO, bat about number 7 average 30ish with the ball and score alot of runs, One can hope!

Smith's got more talent with the bat than Vettori. Alot more.