What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia crash to humiliating defeat

SirShire

First Grade
Group A Zimbabwe U19 74 for 3 beat Australia U19 73 (Panyangara 6-31, Chingumbura 4-17) by seven wickets

The Under-19 World Cup produced its first major shock when Australia were routed by Zimbabwe after being bowled out for 73 in front of a capacity 15,000 crowd at the Bogra District Stadium. To add insult to injury, it was Australia's lowest score in the tournament.

Australia won the toss and batted, and Tim Paine (19) and Theo Doropoulos (26) gave them a solid start as they reached 50 for 1 after 10 overs. But then the wheels came off as right-arm fast bowler Tinashe Panyangara ripped through their top and middle order. In a devastating nine-over spell he grabbed 6 for 31, the second-best bowling figures in the tournament's history. Four of his victims were caught by wicketkeeper Brendon Taylor.

Elton Chingumbura picked up the remaining four wickets for 17 runs as Australia succumbed in 19 overs.

Australia briefly harboured hopes of snatching a remarkable victory when Zimbabwe lost two wickets in the first three overs, but that was as good as it got and Zimbabwe coasted to a seven-wicket win with 32 overs to spare.

Australia must now beat Sri Lanka at Rajshahi on Friday (February 20) to keep alive their hopes of retaining their U19 title.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/FEB/070104_U19-WC2004_18FEB2004.html

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its a big boost for Zimbabwean Cricket, whether Australia had a bad run or Zimbabwe were just too good.

aqua_duck

Coach
To be honest this isn't one of the strongest AUstralian under 19 sides Australia has sent away, especially when you consider 3 years ago the team contained the likes of Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Nathan Hauritz and Paul Rofe, and that team didn't do too well either at the time.
In fact in that tournament Clarke was barely averaging double figures, and gees take a look at him now.

Anonymous

Juniors
It wouldn't suprise me if they do well. Nepal borders India, and one can only assume that the facinastion with cricket spreads to that area of the globe.

aqua duck said:
To be honest this isn't one of the strongest AUstralian under 19 sides Australia has sent away, especially when you consider 3 years ago the team contained the likes of Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Nathan Hauritz and Paul Rofe, and that team didn't do too well either at the time.
In fact in that tournament Clarke was barely averaging double figures, and gees take a look at him now.

Was that the last U/19 World Cup?

I think there was one in 2002 which was captained by Cameron White and had players such as Xaiver Doherty and a few others which I can;t remember :(

aqua_duck

Coach
Earl said:
It wouldn't suprise me if they do well. Nepal borders India, and one can only assume that the facinastion with cricket spreads to that area of the globe.

aqua duck said:

Was that the last U/19 World Cup?

I think there was one in 2002 which was captained by Cameron White and had players such as Xaiver Doherty and a few others which I can;t remember :(
It wasn't l;ast world cup but 2 world cups ago when clarke, watson and alike were 18 year olds.

Craig

Juniors
India put over 400 Scotland and NZ put on 389 against Scotland. Damn I might fancy myself against them :D :lol: :lol: :p :twisted:

This tournament is wierd.