What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia name 30 man squad for Champions Trophy

eddiesmith

Juniors
The preliminary squad is:
Ricky Ponting (c) - TAS, 35
Michael Clarke (vc) - NSW, 28
Doug Bollinger - NSW, 27
Nathan Bracken - NSW, 31
Callum Ferguson - SA, 24
Brett Geeves - TAS, 27
Brad Haddin - NSW, 31
Ryan Harris - QLD, 29
Nathan Hauritz - NSW, 27
Moises Henriques - NSW, 22
Ben Hilfenhaus - TAS, 26
Jon Holland - VIC, 22
James Hopes - QLD, 30
Phillip Hughes - NSW, 20
David Hussey - VIC , 32
Mike Hussey - WA , 34
Mitchell Johnson - WA , 27
Jason Krejza - TAS, 26
Brett Lee - NSW, 32
Shaun Marsh - WA, 26
Andrew McDonald - VIC, 28
Clinton McKay - VIC, 26
Marcus North - WA, 29
Tim Paine - TAS, 24
Peter Siddle - VIC, 24
Shaun Tait - SA, 26
Adam Voges - WA, 29
David Warner - NSW, 22
Shane Watson - NSW, 28
Cameron White - VIC, 25

No real suprises, obviously looking to the 2011 World Cup although not sure of Ponting and Hussey will still be around then

lockyno1

Post Whore
McDonald? Seriously why. He is decent at test/4-day level but shocking in limited overs matches!

Tim Paine! f**k yeah baby!

eddiesmith

Juniors
Nannes is now a Dutch player, unavailable and Hodge and Clark are left out as they are looking towards the 2011 World Cup

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm all for picking players for the future and I realise most of the named players won't make it...but seriously, what the f**k does a guy like Travis Birt have to do when they pick nuffies like McKay, Holland, Harris and McDonald in the squad but leave him out?

eddiesmith

Juniors
I'm all for picking players for the future and I realise most of the named players won't make it...but seriously, what the f**k does a guy like Travis Birt have to do when they pick nuffies like McKay, Holland, Harris and McDonald in the squad but leave him out?

Henriques...

But have you ever heard of balance? You got any batsmen who he should be in ahead of? There are already about 12-13 batsmen in the squad

Bazal

Post Whore
Henriques...

But have you ever heard of balance? You got any batsmen who he should be in ahead of? There are already about 12-13 batsmen in the squad

Henriques shouldn't be there either, didn't see him first time round

Voges, White, McDonald

lockyno1

Post Whore
All 3 of them are allrounders in 20/20 cricket Baz (Voges does bowl a fair bit- like Clarke). I don't like McDonald either but he aint competing for a batsmen's spot.

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe...but what does 20/20 have to do with the Champions Trophy, why do we need essentially TEN all rounders in a thirty man squad, and how is Birt not considered in the top 30 OD players in the country?

lockyno1

Post Whore
He might be but is he really in the top 10-12 batsmen. He'd be boredline at best. He still is really inconsistent

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe not the top ten...but I ask again, do you need TEN all rounders in a thirty man squad? Surely a couple more batsmen and bowlers and, say, five all rounders gives a better balance

lockyno1

Post Whore
ODI's and 20/20 squads always have more all rounders than pure out and out batsmen. You need bowling options.

Bazal

Post Whore
I dunno about you given that I don't think like someone missing half his brain, but personally if I want bowling options I pick bowlers...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look I don't necesarily disagree, but that is how Australia have picked sides for the last few years. Birt is a decent player but he is probably 3-4 batsmen behind to get a shot. I actually think George Bailey is the better bat down in Tassie anyway.