What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia/NZ combined

Meth

Staff member
Lee ahead of Bond? :lol:

Lee's test average is 31.66...ODI is 21.62
Bond test average is 24.30...ODI is 19

Lee has been indifferent this year as well.

As for Fleming batting ahead of Ponting- I regard Ponting to be a better bat, so you can switch that around if you want. I'd still rather have Fleming there, because I'm of the view that four is the place for your premier bat to come in.

Anonymous

Juniors
[/quote]150 wickets in test cricket not classed as performing?[/quote]

Well, at an average of 35 or so, not really.

100 wickets in the first 3 years of his career was good, but 50 in the last 4 years at an average of around 40 (yes, I'm guessing here) isn't. Neither is being consistently terrible at ODI level for 7 years (yes, averaging 40 with the ball and 11 with the bat IS TERRIBLE.)

salivor

First Grade
I'm not defending his ODI career as it hasn't been great and largely he hasn't been able to bring his test form into the shorter form of the game.
I think your being hard on him for the last 4 years though considering thats mainly after his back problems. Even Shane Warnes bowling was affected by his shoulder problems. It hasn't been easy for Vettori to readjust his action and return to past form, it didn't help barely bowling at international level for a whole season with the green wickets in the Indian series.

Macca

Coach
I am of the view that Ricky Ponting is the best number 3 in the world and Fleming is probably not in the top 5 number 3's. As for premier batsmen, if you want to be pigeon holed into thinking that your best bat has to come in at a certain position then that is why your team doesn't rate compared to Australia.

I'd still take Lee ahead of Bond. My reasons are simply, that his sheer pace scares the bejesus out of batsmen. Bond has the better record for the time being, and if McGrath or Gillespie weren't fit, then I would slot Bond in for them. The make up of a side doesn't involve the 12 guys with the best record. It's all about how guys compliment each other. Anyway, we will never agree, so I am happy to disgree. Next you'll be telling me Tuffey should be there. ;-)

Meth

Staff member
Vettori is struggling. Last night was encouraging, but he's got a way to go

At his peak (the period Thierry mentioned), he would of walked in ahead of MacGill...but still would have been behind Warne by a long way.

salivor

First Grade
McSharkie, what was Lee doing when the two sides played against each other in the VB series while Bond took out the bowler of the series award? Where was Lee in the World Cup when Bond took 6/28 against Australia?
On head to head performances Bond wins hands down, statistically Bond wins hands down and even in pace there is little between them. Even with the bat there is little between them with Bond being able to hit just as bit as Lee. Just how much of Shane Bond have you seen as I've seen a hell of a lot of Brett Lee.

Meth

Staff member
Next you'll be telling me Tuffey should be there.

I forgot all about him :)

My reasons are simply, that his sheer pace scares the bejesus out of batsmen.

I'm sure he does...which would explain why he gets tonked around the park a fair bit.

Right now, he scares some of the tailenders. Most batsmen in the world don't seem to be too troubled by his express pace

Macca

Coach
Yeah on highways. The wickets they prepared this summer, with the exception of Perth were made from concrete. Look, Bond is good, I have seen enough of him to know that. He is your best, but I wouldn't place he and Lee in the same category of bowler. I pick Lee because on the right wicket, he is unplayable. I am over this argument now. You pick Bond, I'll pick Lee. BTW I am extremely one eyed.

Meth

Staff member
I'm a New Zealander

Look at my team...I picked three kiwis in that team, while others picked five or six. I argued Bond over Lee and backed my argument up with statistics.

You picked twelve Aussies and didn't even bother to name them. You argued Lee over Bond and backed your argument up with a pitch report...even saying that Lee and Bond aren't even in the same catergory.

We are at different ends of the scale...I seem to have three eyes to your one :D

Tuffey in top ten? I wish it was true........

McSharkies 12th man is Scott Styris

Daryl Tuffey is the 8th best test bowler in the world according to PWC.
Jacob Oram is the 9th best ODI bowler bowler according to PWC.

Bond eats Lee for breakfast in every category. Bowling, batting (Bonds the best #11 in the world by a very long way), Fielding, attitude, intelligence, and as a man.

Iafeta

Referee
150 wickets in test cricket not classed as performing?[/quote]

Well, at an average of 35 or so, not really.

100 wickets in the first 3 years of his career was good, but 50 in the last 4 years at an average of around 40 (yes, I'm guessing here) isn't. Neither is being consistently terrible at ODI level for 7 years (yes, averaging 40 with the ball and 11 with the bat IS TERRIBLE.)[/quote]

Where are those games Thierry? Mostly in New Zealand. No New Zealand spinner has averaged less than 30. There is not enough sunshine to give pitches that are dry and hard and crumble. I'd love to see how his record would shape up if he were Indian. Even the Australian pitches would suit him, as he showed last time he was here.

Iafeta

Referee
McSharkie, yes, Lee bowled well in the last few ODIs, but 37 no balls in his last two test matches definitely isn't the form of a champion test cricketer. Shane Bond would eat him alive. I thought the rationale on this team was form and being a test match, given he's averaged near on 40 for the past 2 seasons, and his test average has ballooned over 30 on pitches that are mainly quick which would help his style of bowling, he wouldn't make the team. Especially if McGrath, Warne and Bond were injury free to compliment Gillespie.

Craig

Juniors
Earl said:
5. Clarke

Interestingly enough you have picked somebody who hasnt played a Test match. For all we know he could be a flop.

You dont know I dont know, I cant predict the future.

wittyfan

Referee
salivor said:
McSharkie, what was Lee doing when the two sides played against each other in the VB series while Bond took out the bowler of the series award? Where was Lee in the World Cup when Bond took 6/28 against Australia?

Lee was taking 5/42 in the same game. :)