What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia/NZ combined

SirShire

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
DaleyIsGod said:
Bond eats Lee for breakfast in every category. Bowling, batting (Bonds the best #11 in the world by a very long way), Fielding, attitude, intelligence, and as a man.

Bowling-no arguments there

batting-its quite irrelevent that Bonbd is the best number 11 batsman in the world because Lee isn't a number 11 batsman to begin with, and its not like there is a class field of number 11 batsman, for starters Bond's test average is 10 and a highest score of 31, Lee averages almost 20 and has scored 2 half centuries at test level, and a half century at one day level.

Fielding-I take it you didn't see Lee's catch at the SCG

attitude-I take it you've played with both of them

intelligence-I take it you've given both of them the same IQ test and Bond scored higher :?:

As a man-So you've tested out Bonds manhood too? ;-)

:lol: :lol: Well said LOL

Meth

Staff member

Thank you...that's the clincher really. We're looking for a frontline bowler, not a second tier bowler who can occasionally bat.

Fielding-I take it you didn't see Lee's catch at the SCG

Yep...we did. But one good catch really doesn't count for a heck of a lot in the overall scheme of things. If it did, you'd be wise to include Fatty Vautin in your team.

In saying that, I don't see a large amount of difference between Lee and Bond in this discipline

intelligence-I take it you've given both of them the same IQ test and Bond scored higher

Anyone who bowls 37 no balls in a match can't be too bright

As a man-So you've tested out Bonds manhood too?

LOL

However, Bond is a community focused good honest copper.

Lee doesn't endear himself to most with his attitude. I'm not saying that he isn't a decent bowler, because he is. And fast bowlers should have a bit of rev...

But sometimes Lee just behaves like a prat.

All totally irrelevant really....the first discipline mentioned is the one that matters

:D

Macca

Coach
Scuba, you have to admit that you are totally one eyed in this argument too. How anyone can fault Brett Lee's attitude is beyond me. He is a little too enthusiastic sometimes but that is hardly a bad quality.

Brett Lee will prove his worth in the long run and you will see his real quality. Bond simply stands out for NZ because you have a bunch of nuffy's around him.

Meth

Staff member
McSharkie

I'm being as objective as possible.

I'm not a Lee bagger. I don't think he's as good as Bond, but I think he's good.

But he does behave like a prat sometimes, especially when he gets over enthusiastic.

I was disgusted when he was bowling bouncers at Harmison after knocking Tudor down. I cheer for the Aussies v the Poms, but that was deplorable.

I've seen him give tail enders a unsportsmanlike send off.

I've never seen Bond cross the sportsmanship line

Bond simply stands out for NZ because you have a bunch of nuffy's around him.

Having a bunch of nuffys around him doesn't enhance Bonds performance any more than having a bunch of superstars around Lee enhances his.

You're clutching at straws

salivor

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
salivor said:
Macgill is a joke compared to Vettori. Vettori was one of the youngest ever players to take 100 wickets and is rated as the best left arm spinner in the world
well gees who else is there really? Murali Kartik? :lol: :lol: :lol:

salivor said:
while Macgill has spent his whole career in the shadows of Warne
well when you got the best leg spinner ever in front of you its not that easy, especially when Australia are reluctant to play the two of them.

Vettori's bowling average leaves alot to be desired, mid to high 30's is not very good for any world class bowler, and if Vettori is so good why does he average less than a wicket a game at ODI level?

What about the great Ashley Giles? ;-)

As has already been pointed out in regards to Vettori's average, no New Zealand spinner has ever averaged below 30 because we just don't produce pitches that favour spin bowlers, maybe near the end of the cricket season but not consistantly.
As for Vettori's ODI record, I've already said in one of my earlier posts that it's not flash. He hasn't come close to bringing his test form into the shorter form of the game. This is a combined test team remember so ODI form is pretty irrelevant.

salivor

First Grade
McSharkie said:
Brett Lee will prove his worth in the long run and you will see his real quality. Bond simply stands out for NZ because you have a bunch of nuffy's around him.

I actually think that gives an advantage to Lee. McGrath has a heap of wickets to his name but how many wickets from other bowlers has he played a big part in by tying up one end and putting pressure on batsmen? Bond doesn't have as an effective bowling unit to give him that kind of assistance.

weasel

First Grade
Brett Lee's fielding is excellent. His throwing arm is probably the best in the Australian team, his return throws are superb.

JoeD

First Grade
My reasons are simply, that his sheer pace scares the bejesus out of batsmen.

Don't have much to add to this thread besides saying that the above is fairly ridiculous. The indians were really scared :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Yeah, i saw Patel quaking in his shoes when he slapped Lee for four to bring up Lees 200.

Craig

Juniors
If South Africa end up as no.1 (that could be possible), this is what the side would look like (on currant form):

1, MH Richardson
2, ML Hayden
3, RT Ponting
4, BC Lara
5, VVS Laxman
6, *SP Fleming
7, +AC Gilchrist
8, SK Warne/A Kumble (Warne's hasnt been picked yet)/some quick if you want 3 quicks and 1 spinner
9, JN Gillespie
10, DR Tuffey (McGrath isnt fit yet)
11, M Muralitharan

Dravid is unlucky to miss out.

Anonymous

Juniors
If South Africa end up as no.1, this will be the side I think:

1-M.Hayden
2-M.Richardson
3-R.Ponting
4-B.Lara*
5-R.Dravid
6-V.V.S.Laxman
7-A.Gilchrist+
8-H.Streak
9-W.P.U.J.C.Vaas
10-J.Gillespie
11-M.Muralitharan

lolesi

First Grade
haha such a waste kiwi knights fan

i rate tuffey very highly, he is a top bowler and id have him in my team over lee

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
kiwi knights fan said:
Twizzle said:
kiwi knights fan said:
Richarson
Fleming
Marshell
Hayden
Astle
Oram
Harris
Vittori
Gillespie
Bond

Two Aussies in a combined team and no Gilly.

You're a Kiwi, right.
Yer i was a bit biast a
on second thort id have hayden at 1 and ponting in at 4

Well that's much better, no bias.

SirShire

First Grade
IanRitchie said:
Yeah, i saw Patel quaking in his shoes when he slapped Lee for four to bring up Lees 200.

Its a shame the little shit didnt take a Lee bouncer to the helmet.

Meth

Staff member
I'll have a crack at a world team, on form-

I'm a bit green on the English and Sri Lankan players at the moment, as well as the Kenyans and the Bangladeshis

M Hayden (Aus)
G Smith (RSA) (ahead of Youhana)
R Ponting (Aus)
R Dravid (Ind)
V Laxman (Ind)
A Gilchrist (Aus)
S Pollock (RSA) (just ahead of Styris)
H Streak (Zim)
J Gillespie (Aus)
M Muralitharan (SL)
M Ntini (RSA)

Kiwi

First Grade
McSharkie said:
I'd take Lee ahead of Bond for starters. Martyn might be down on form but I'd have him before Fleming and there is no way Fleming bats ahead of Ponting. Really the only spot you can have is the one S. Waugh just vacated. You'd wanna hurry though because Clarke is about to prove that he is better than any Kiwi.

You're an idiot, thats the only way to describe you. Bond is 100 times the bowler that Lee is. Fleming is the best captain in the world and in fine form with the bat too. I do agree that Ponting would bat ahead of him, but Fleming would be in the side. As would Oram, one of the best alrounders playing at the moment, if not the best. Finally, if Oram is one of the best, then Styris is not to far behind, he's taking wickets and scoring runs.

The only players who i think are definates in the Aussie side if the teams were combined are Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist and McGrath.

So in saying all that you have to have the following

Hayden
Ponting
Flemming
Styris
Gilchrist
Oram
Bond
McGrath

The rest are more personal choice.

P.S anyone who selects Martyn needs their head read or blown off which ever seems more appropriate.

aqua_duck

Coach
Scuba said:
I'll have a crack at a world team, on form-

I'm a bit green on the English and Sri Lankan players at the moment, as well as the Kenyans and the Bangladeshis

M Hayden (Aus)
G Smith (RSA) (ahead of Youhana)
R Ponting (Aus)
R Dravid (Ind)
V Laxman (Ind)
A Gilchrist (Aus)
S Pollock (RSA) (just ahead of Styris)
H Streak (Zim)
J Gillespie (Aus)
M Muralitharan (SL)
M Ntini (RSA)
No Jacques Kallis :?: :?: :?:

Meth

Staff member
To be honest, he slipped my mind momentarily

It would be either him or Streak, and I'll stick with Streak...probably to play down the slip up

Iafeta

Referee
Although Jacques hasn't quite found the West Indians rubbish attack in New Zealand. Vettori's got him 2 out of 3. Perhaps the purple patch is over?