What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia to tour Pakistan for first time in 24 years

Valheru

Coach
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

Cricket Australia agrees to March/April 2022 tour of Pakistan for 3 tests, 3 ODIs and a single T20.

Dates are

March 3-7: First Test, Karachi

March 12-16: Second Test, Rawalpindi

March 21-25: Third Test, Lahore

March 29: First ODI, Lahore

March 31: Second ODI, Lahore

April 2: Third ODI, Lahore

April 5: Only T20, Lahore

It remains to be seen if this actually happens or not after both England and NZ abandoned tours in 2021 due to security concerns but I hope it proceeds as scheduled.

Eelectrica

Referee
Hopefully it goes ahead, but we've heard it before only to fall in a heap.
Pakistan would be doing all they can to get it right this time after the NZ tour fell through at literally the last minute

Australia has cancelled countless tours in the last decade. I'm pretty sure Pakistan hasn't become any safer either. Not sure what's changed for them to announce they'll be going now. Can almost guarantee it'll fall on the scrapheap like the rest

Valheru

Coach
Need to be 'kind and patient' with Australia players who opt out of Pakistan tour, says ACA chief

Print

Todd Greenberg, the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) chief, has assured the country's cricketers that he would travel to Pakistan with the squad if the tour gets the go-ahead, and would be fine with "one or two players" backing out of the trip.

"I've made an assurance to the players that they won't go alone," Greenberg was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald. "If they're going to Pakistan, I'll be going with them and I think that's important. It's an opportunity to show the players that we're in this together.

"The ACA accompanied Cricket Australia on a pre-tour of Pakistan late last year, and the reports were all very positive. But we'll continue to take the advice of DFAT [Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade] and other government organisations, as we need to be able to satisfy not just the players, but their families, that it's safe to tour."

International teams have been reluctant to travel to Pakistan since the terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore in 2009, though international cricket has taken place in fits and starts in the country recently. If Australia get the security clearance to travel, it would be Australia's first tour to Pakistan since 1998, when Mark Taylor's side won the three-Test series 1-0.

"There may be one or two players who won't be comfortable despite the best advice we give, and that's OK, we need to respect that," Greenberg said.

He stressed that while Australia were keen to fulfil their international commitments, they would allow players to make their own choices. "We have to be kind and patient with each other, and there'll be a player or two who say, 'You know what, this is not for me at this particular point in my life and career, I'm not comfortable going'," he told SEN Radio during the fourth Ashes Test in Sydney. "If that's the case, we need to have great respect for that."

CA chief executive Nick Hockley is also planning to travel to Pakistan for at least a part of the tour, while the interim chair Richard Freudenstein may visit for a period to meet with his counterpart Ramiz Raja, unless a new permanent chair is chosen by then, according to the report in the newspaper.

Pakistan are scheduled to host Australia in March-April for three Tests, three ODIs and one T20I, with the Tests in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Lahore, which will also host all the limited-overs matches.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Any players wives or partners about 6-7 months pregnant?

If the tour goes ahead, I have my doubts it will. Then the onuses is on Pakistan to get their security right. A serious breach or worse sets them back decades

Latest posts