What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia tour to Sri Lanka 2022

TheParraboy

Staff member

1648288802486.png

Australia's men's team will return to Sri Lanka in June for the first time in six years for a three-format tour that will culminate in two Tests at the famous Galle International Stadium.

Sri Lanka Cricket today confirmed the dates and venues for the five-week tour, which will include three T20s, five one-day internationals and two Tests.

June 7: First T20, Colombo

June 8: Second T20, Colombo

June 11: Third T20, Kandy

June 14: First ODI, Kandy

June 16: Second ODI, Kandy

June 19: Third ODI, Colombo

June 21: Fourth ODI, Colombo

June 24: Fifth ODI, Colombo

June 29 - July 3: First Test, Galle

July 8-12: Second Test, Galle

King-Gutho94

Coach
I thought they could only play a max 3 ODIs in a series now.

Anyway we need as much ODI Cricket as we possibly can with a WC next year. Only played 3 ODIs in 18 months.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Not a fan of playing multiple tests at same ground.

I understand covid has forced a change but surely 1 test at colombo then galle for 2nd one wouldnt be too hard.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not a fan of playing multiple tests at same ground.

I understand covid has forced a change but surely 1 test at colombo then galle for 2nd one wouldnt be too hard.

Yeah agree

Not a fan of playing tests last either

So much better having them first cab of the rank over other formats IMO

Eelectrica

Referee
Really hope Swepson gets there, but he really needs to dial back those loose deliveries.
Hard to build pressure when the batsman knows a loose ball or two isn't far off.

Fangs

Coach
Tough initiation for any player.

Like many others who never got a home summer. I hope they back him when the time comes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see Zampa get a go in the longer version, especially on sub continent pitches where bowlers most flight the ball a bit less than Swepson, more like Kumle, he had a brilliant career on those pitches.

I don't like Swepson's action and don't think he will ever tighten up

we'll see I guess

TheParraboy

Staff member
The Big Show ready for red ball

Glenn Maxwell’s chance at a long-awaited return to Test cricket is set to arrive, with the Victorian big-hitter to be named in Australia’s squad to tour Sri Lanka.

Nine reports Maxwell, who missed the tour of Pakistan due to his wedding, will be part of the squad when it is named on Friday.

It will be the Australian men’s team’s first visit to Sri Lanka in six years, with two Tests in Galle capping off a multi-format series, beginning with three T20s and five ODIs from June 7. The Tests will begin on June 29 and July 8 respectively.

With a large squad to be selected to cover all three formats, Maxwell - well-known for his performances in the shorter forms of the game - could be kept for the Tests if he plays well across June.

New Australian coach Andrew McDonald was the coach of Victoria when Maxwell played his most recent Test cricket, recording a century against India in Ranchi before being dropped ahead of that summer’s Ashes.

1651084820682.jpeg

McDonald showed strong support for Maxwell as a Test cricketer, telling RSN radio in 2017: “I think he can be a genuine No.6 and on flat wickets in Australia he could turn games single-handedly.

“One thing I think about, with Glenn Maxwell, is we haven’t seen a lot of him in red-ball cricket, but he’s a pure technician when it comes to the red ball. He can hold down six for Australia.

“You’ve got to let him understand the scenarios in certain games and how they’re unfolding, but I think he’s getting better at that. Sometimes you’ve got to let him fly and see what he can do. It’s really exciting the way he can turn games. In red-ball cricket he’s probably got the map.”

Maxwell, who played all seven of his career Tests in Asia, said this past summer he remains keen to play the longer format.

“It’s definitely realistic (to regain a spot),” Maxwell said in December.

“I think I am probably playing as well as ever have at the moment.

“I feel really good about my game. I have been able to work on different techniques for different formats, which has really helped going forward.

“I have been in constant contact with selectors and they have been really clear about if opportunities do pop up then I am ready for red ball.”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so Macca the Ranga gets the top job and immediately picks his dud Victorian mates, this is JL all over again

simmo1

First Grade
Maxwell hasn't play FC cricket since 2019. I think he could have been a decent enough test player with better management, but his time has well and truly passed.

Fangs

Coach
Should have been given a home Summer years ago. Never got a chance and now I'd say it's too late.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just realised i wont be able to watch this test series i will be on a overdue holiday in the USA so will just have check the scores on cricinfo and follow updates on here about the action.