What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v Japan (Game 9)

borat

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I accept that but to be honest whenever those two had the ball at their feet the next recipient of the ball was generally wearing blue.

Still, I can't criticise their effort, they ran all day.

When you play your whole life in one position or two positions and suddenly your expected to play another it just doesn't work. I don't care how long they practise in training you can't teach soemone to suddenly be a central midfielder. Anyone who has played it at most levels would agree.

The stupid thing is that Hiddink could have swapped these two around and would have fixed the problem. All I can think of was that Hiddink had Alex highlighted as a danger player and wanted Wilkshire to mark him tight all game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
Honestly Locky you wouldn't have much left in life if you couldn't find a new obessesion to start a f**k off foundation. Its getting quite tedious.

Anyone who knows something about the game will tell you Wilkshire didn't play to bad at all last night, and forced to play completely out of position. He was rubbish against Holland granted, but he was given a role to play last night and he was solid, didn't let anyone down and tracked the japanese midfield better than most.

One of the commentators mentioned it that Hiddink had obviously decided an unfit kewell and Cahill in the starting team was too big a risk. Japan are reknowned for being supremely fit and a fast breaking team. You could not afford to have 2 players out of puff in 35 degrees.

I personally wouldn't have Wilkshire in a fully fit first 11 but he did the job that was requested of him. Alex got around him maybe once or twice which is not bad considering Wilshire doesn't play right mid. And whats more he gives it all and tackles very hard. I can just see Hiddink thinking the Japanese want to whinge about how hard we play well you aint seen nothing yet.

Seriously if you want to slam any Aussie player give it to Schwarzer. The guy was terrible last night, looked very nervous and out of depth. Shove or no shove, Schwarzer was miles away from the flight of the ball. If you want to see what Hiddink sees in Kalac it is right there last night. Schwarzer plays in lead boots and is terrible coming off his line. He is an awesome shot stopper but he is a nightmare on corners and crosses.

So those long crap balls that Wilkshire did ALL NIGHT LONG was good play! Please get your hand off it! He was terrible, abysmal. How he is in the squad let alone the 11 is a joke in itself! There is a reason Wilkshire plays 3rd division in England- he's crap! Here's a wonderful stat for you...goals with wilkshire=ZERO, goals withought him=3. Says it all really. On Kalak I agree. I am very nervous with Schwarzer in goals. I think Kalak could be worth a punt against Brazil.

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
So those long crap balls that Wilkshire did ALL NIGHT LONG was good play! Please get your hand off it! He was terrible, abysmal. How he is in the squad let alone the 11 is a joke in itself! There is a reason Wilkshire plays 3rd division in England- he's crap! Here's a wonderful stat for you...goals with wilkshire=ZERO, goals withought him=3. Says it all really. On Kalak I agree. I am very nervous with Schwarzer in goals. I think Kalak could be worth a punt against Brazil.

Do you honestly beleive Wilkshire was in the team to help us score goals? Your out of your depth here Locky. Wilkshire role was to defend his ar*e off and he did that to applomb. Did the commentators bag him during the game, don't think so. They rightfully said he was out of position and wasn't pushing forward enough out on the right. Whatever you want to say about Wilshire the guy is supremely fit. When you have attatcking players like Emmerton, Bresciano, Culina & Kewell in your team you need some balance. You need defensive players to do their tracking so they can be brilliant.

IMO I would have swapped Emmerton and Wilkshire because neither are suited in the positions they were playing. But Hiddink obviously thought Japan would attack our right flank and wanted a rock solid defensive midfielder there to snuff them out. What it cost us however was depth and crosses on the right.

When Cahill is fully fit he will go straight back into the team probably at Wilkshire's expense. But there was a huge question mark over Cahill lasting the 90 minutes. And Kewell was a passenger for a good part of the game. You bag Wilkshire all day yet you fail to come up with a viable alternative.

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
When Cahill is fully fit he will go straight back into the team probably at Wilkshire's expense. But there was a huge question mark over Cahill lasting the 90 minutes. And Kewell was a passenger for a good part of the game. You bag Wilkshire all day yet you fail to come up with a viable alternative.

Phew, well after last night Cahill is fit! Alternatives...f**k me dead anyone in the A-League that did well should have been in the squad. If someone is playing in the English 3rd division something tells me he is crap. Last night just proved it. Long crap balls all night long. Defensively he got burned on occasions anyway!

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Phew, well after last night Cahill is fit! Alternatives...f**k me dead anyone in the A-League that did well should have been in the squad. If someone is playing in the English 3rd division something tells me he is crap. Last night just proved it. Long crap balls all night long. Defensively he got burned on occasions anyway!

Cahill played 30 mins last night, which is a big difference to 90 mins. Two weeks of training don't make up for 4-6 weeks on the physio table. He should be ready by the next game but. Even if he isn't he has got to be on the field, someone who can find the goal as often as Tim needs to be there. Wilkshire got beaten twice by Alex from memory but Emmerton certainly isn't the greatest defender and likes to go on his runs.

The truth is we don't have fantastic depth and Wilkshire was the best option. It was either him or Skoko and Wilkshire is defnitely a fitter player. Wilskshire is not a world beater and had a solid game last night but certainly not as bad as most people in this thread are making him out to be. I think you will find that Hiddink would have been quite happy with his performance.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'll take Skoko in a heartbeat over Wilkshire, easily! At least he has played some good games. Wilksire offers nothing to our attack and even his defence was shown up. So what on earth is he there for! Dead token selection! Wilkshire was great....for JAPAN!

Cammo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
I'll take Skoko in a heartbeat over Wilkshire, easily! At least he has played some good games. Wilksire offers nothing to our attack and even his defence was shown up. So what on earth is he there for! Dead token selection! Wilkshire was great....for JAPAN!

So basically you are saying that he plays like Darren Lockyer does at 5/8 because he is out of position.

Parraren

Bench
Wilkshire played alot better than he did v Holland and he obviously was out there as a tactical selection to basically run his backside off and play a defensive midfield role to cover Bresciano when he went forward.

True, he isn't a world class player by any stretch but he wore the jersey with pride and did his job well enough despite his technical deficiencies.

Would he be in my starting 11?

No.

Realistically, we were playing quite a few players out of position (Kewell, Emerton, Wilkshire) and I think this was due to the fact that Kewell, Cahill & Bresciano (our 3 most important players alongside Lucas Neill) were not quite 100% fit, hence the inclusion of Wilkshire.

I think there will definitely be some tactical changes for the next 2 games as those 3 players get stronger fitness wise, especially Cahill who looked very sharp. Harry still looks a little flat, but he's improving.

I'd like to see us go for a 4-1-3-2 formation against Brazil & Croatia:

Schwarzer

Emerton/Culina - Neill - Moore - Chipperfield

Grella

Bresciano Cahill Kewell

Aloisi Viduka

innsaneink

Referee
Lowey3 said:
Japan are totally outplaying the Beach boys.

Wilkshire is Australian standard but not World Cup Standard (like most of your team) he plays for Bristol City FFS.

Nakamura and Nakata are dominating the midfield and Mark Viduka isent getting enough service up front.

Tim Cahill will join the attack if he gets on.

Why are you lot geting so upset ? you was never, ever going to reach the second stage anyway - that was like saying GB would win the Tri Nations.

Errr...you were saying?

Dipsh*t.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cammo said:
So basically you are saying that he plays like Darren Lockyer does at 5/8 because he is out of position.

Difference is that at least Lockyer wins some games! Wilkshire is good for bugger all!:lol:

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:

As long as you think the game is all about attack Locky you won't understand it. If your defence isn't right you will get burnt. In Rugby league a try is scored and its no big deal, 4-6 points isn't insumountable. But in Football 1 goal can be everything, as we saw for 84mins.

We need defensive players to compensate for our attatckers. Just look at England and you will see what happens when you have Beckham, Gerard, Lampard and Cole in your midifield. All great attatcking players but don't gel because none are natural defensive midfielders.

Wilkshire may have been burnt on a couple of occasions but you can be sure it would have been worse if Skoko or Emmerton were there. Wilkshire was the best fully fit player for that position. We have no depth.

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
Wilkshire may have been burnt on a couple of occasions but you can be sure it would have been worse if Skoko or Emmerton were there. Wilkshire was the best fully fit player for that position. We have no depth.

What crap. Skoko is a decent player. And someone who can pass the ball properly as well. He is a much better option!:D

borat

Bench
Parraren said:
Wilkshire played alot better than he did v Holland and he obviously was out there as a tactical selection to basically run his backside off and play a defensive midfield role to cover Bresciano when he went forward.

True, he isn't a world class player by any stretch but he wore the jersey with pride and did his job well enough despite his technical deficiencies.

Would he be in my starting 11?

No.

Realistically, we were playing quite a few players out of position (Kewell, Emerton, Wilkshire) and I think this was due to the fact that Kewell, Cahill & Bresciano (our 3 most important players alongside Lucas Neill) were not quite 100% fit, hence the inclusion of Wilkshire.

I think there will definitely be some tactical changes for the next 2 games as those 3 players get stronger fitness wise, especially Cahill who looked very sharp. Harry still looks a little flat, but he's improving.

I'd like to see us go for a 4-1-3-2 formation against Brazil & Croatia:

Schwarzer

Emerton/Culina - Neill - Moore - Chipperfield

Grella

Bresciano Cahill Kewell

Aloisi Viduka

Cullina is an attacking midfielder and you want to play him at right back? Will never happen in a miilion years. Its a stretch making him play defensive midfield.

The formation will change depending on the opposition.

Cammo

Bench
lockyno1 said:
What crap. Skoko is a decent player. And someone who can pass the ball properly as well. He is a much better option!:D

Skoko is not a good defensive player though, even he would admit that.

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:

I never said he was crap Locky. Look Hiddink wanted someone at right midfeild to shut down attacks on the flank and track all day long. Run their ar*e off. That is not Skoko. I would say Wilkshire would be close to the fittest player in the team.

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
I never said he was crap Locky. Look Hiddink wanted someone at right midfeild to shut down attacks on the flank and track all day long. Run their ar*e off. That is not Skoko. I would say Wilkshire would be close to the fittest player in the team.

So we are picking someone just becuase they can run! Lol! Surely there is someone else that can run and can pass a remotely accurate pass- unlike Wilkshire!

Parraren

Bench
borat said:
Cullina is an attacking midfielder and you want to play him at right back? Will never happen in a miilion years. Its a stretch making him play defensive midfield.

The formation will change depending on the opposition.

And Emerton isn't an attacking midfielder? lol

We really only have 1 true quality right back in our side, Lucas Neill, so who ever fills that role will be playing out of position anyway, as Emerton currently is.

The only other option is to shift Neill there and bring in Popovic into the centre but that would leave us with 2 very slow central defenders against a very quick Brazilian side.

I don't mind Emerton but he just seems to give the ball away too cheaply and doesn't mark tight enough. The cross that was sent in for Japans first goal should never have got passed him.

borat

Bench
Parraren said:
And Emerton isn't an attacking midfielder? lol

We really only have 1 true quality right back in our side, Lucas Neill, so who ever fills that role will be playing out of position anyway, as Emerton currently is.

The only other option is to shift Neill there and bring in Popovic into the centre but that would leave us with 2 very slow central defenders against a very quick Brazilian side.

I don't mind Emerton but he just seems to give the ball away too cheaply and doesn't mark tight enough. The cross that was sent in for Japans first goal should never have got passed him.

Tell me once in Cullina's whole career that he has played right back? You may as well name Bresciano there. Emmerton is not a true right back but he has played there for club and country. Its either play emmerton there or bring in Popovic and push neil over. I say keep Emmerton.

borat

Bench
lockyno1 said:
So we are picking someone just becuase they can run! Lol! Surely there is someone else that can run and can pass a remotely accurate pass- unlike Wilkshire!

Actually yes you do. Players are picked for attacking and defensive qualities. You are going to struggle to comprehend the rest of the world cup locky if you can't get past this. Otherwise we would pick a team of 11 strikers.

Latest posts