What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Beer questions

horrie hastings

First Grade
Of my 2008 top 3, VB has stood the test of time (VB might be many things but i don't think anyone's ever described it as bland!)

During the time they had the crowd covid restrictions at the SCG last year, the one game i went to i went to get a beer in the members and they only had cans of VB for sale, i just said to guy you have got to be f*ckin kidding, i'm not paying almost $10 for a can of that sh*t so i didnt end up having anything.

VB had a big backlash years ago when they dropped the alcohol percentage, sales dropped off till they changed back original alcohol percentage.

I do have one can of VB at home, the Roosters premiership one from 2018 and it sits in bar/ wine area .

horrie hastings

First Grade
The other one I've seen at BWS a lot lately is the red label Peroni in the three packs....easy mid week summertime grab for a tenner (ish)

They usually have it Liqourland at that price too, i usually grab a 3 pack if im having a BBQ, half a bottle on the onions and the rest for me.
Have a 4 pack the Lorry Boys pale cans as the Christmas bonus, may just swap it for a wine, it just doesnt inspire me to drink it for some reason.

Parra

Referee
During the time they had the crowd covid restrictions at the SCG last year, the one game i went to i went to get a beer in the members and they only had cans of VB for sale, i just said to guy you have got to be f*ckin kidding, i'm not paying almost $10 for a can of that sh*t so i didnt end up having anything.

VB had a big backlash years ago when they dropped the alcohol percentage, sales dropped off till they changed back original alcohol percentage.

I do have one can of VB at home, the Roosters premiership one from 2018 and it sits in bar/ wine area .

Try that outside the members - you'll get a plastic cup of Tooheys Mid Strength. FFS you'd kill for a VB in that situation. Or do as plenty of others and walk across the road and watch in the pub.

Coastbloke

Bench
I've always been a CUB man..

VB
MB
Carlton Draught
Reschs (Now CUB)

Never liked the Tooheys stuff, but If I find it in a pub, I'll always have a Schooey of Tooths Kent Old Brown..Would like to see a return of KB, DA and Flag even if just for summer promotions..

I've tried some craft beers but they usually try to be too European or fruity..Some are OK, just not really my thing..

Willow

Assistant Moderator

VB
MB
Carlton Draught
Reschs (Now CUB)

Never liked the Tooheys stuff, but If I find it in a pub, I'll always have a Schooey of Tooths Kent Old Brown..Would like to see a return of KB, DA and Flag even if just for summer promotions..

I've tried some craft beers but they usually try to be too European or fruity..Some are OK, just not really my thing..
Reschs Draft on tap. Near impossible to find north of Ballina. Easily the beer of choice when in Sydney.

There are some good 'craft' beers. My current favourite is Black Hops Super Hornet. On tap if you can get it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Try that outside the members - you'll get a plastic cup of Tooheys Mid Strength. FFS you'd kill for a VB in that situation. Or do as plenty of others and walk across the road and watch in the pub.

Usually have a Carlton Draught at the football if I have a beer, even the 4 Pines bar in the members only had VB that night. They were still charging the same price as a schooner which is 425ml for a 375 ml can

horrie hastings

First Grade
Reschs Draft on tap. Near impossible to find north of Ballina. Easily the beer of choice when in Sydney.

There are some good 'craft' beers. My current favourite is Black Hops Super Hornet. On tap if you can get it.

Reschs long necks used to sell like crazy then they stopped us from stocking Reschs long necks and 375ml bottles, there was a huge customer backlash, it took ages but we were able to get Resch 375ml cans back in stock and they sell very well. Agree Reschs on tap is a good beer but even in Sydney it is hard to find, at least some of the venues have bought it back.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Reschs long necks used to sell like crazy then they stopped us from stocking Reschs long necks and 375ml bottles, there was a huge customer backlash, it took ages but we were able to get Resch 375ml cans back in stock and they sell very well. Agree Reschs on tap is a good beer but even in Sydney it is hard to find, at least some of the venues have bought it back.
Would that bottled version be Reschs Pilsener? Different to Reschs Draft

But the Pilsener is stiil an easy Friday arvo beer after work. It was pretty popular, you could have 2-3 and still be under the limit.

For a while we could get Reschs Pilsener 750ml bottles delivered to work through Kogan, but that seems to havs stopped.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Would that bottled version be Reschs Pilsener? Different to Reschs Draft

But the Pilsener is stiil an easy Friday arvo beer after work. It was pretty popular, you could have 2-3 and still be under the limit.

For a while we could get Reschs Pilsener 750ml bottles delivered to work through Kogan, but that seems to havs stopped.

Yep. It’s the Pilsner, sorry I didn’t see It was Reschs Draught you were talking about when I originally read your post, I just saw Reschs. Still we had a lot of disappointed customers when we stopped stocking the pilsener.

Parra

Referee
Yep. It’s the Pilsner, sorry I didn’t see It was Reschs Draught you were talking about when I originally read your post, I just saw Reschs. Still we had a lot of disappointed customers when we stopped stocking the pilsener.

They also produced the first low carb beer back in the 2000's. Red & Silver striped can. Ahead of their time.

blue bags

First Grade

VB
MB
Carlton Draught
Reschs (Now CUB)

you remember Sydney draught , or was it Sydney bitter, red cans, bottles I think
and you use to get a case of twisties 250ml bottles of all the favorite beers
for about $8 or $9 :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They were nicknamed liver bullets, of course.
Will always remember I shared a case of them with my brother at the first ever day-night cricket match at the SCG back in 1978. It was certainly a different world where a 15 and 17 year old could take a case of beer into the SCG. Good times.
The liver bullet nick came about because of the Buga-up campaign. Buga-up would grafitti billboards they deemed to be sexist, racist or harmful to kids. Alcohol promotions were part of that. I recall they were arrested but the judge dismissed the charges and criticised the prosecution for wasting the court's time. lol.

Different times indeed. And yes, beer into the SCG. I remember the eskies going through the gates.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You trying for the passport?
I get emails about Reschs news and a medalion showed up in the mail. Don't really read much of it.

Currently sitting in Back Hops II Brewery in Biggera Waters with a Super Hornet.

Best beer in town.

Latest posts