What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Beer questions

Yorrick Hunt

Juniors
I get emails about Reschs news and a medalion showed up in the mail. Don't really read much of it.

Currently sitting in Back Hops II Brewery in Biggera Waters with a Super Hornet.

Best beer in town.

8.7%. That'll have a bit of a kick to it.

I see they have Mega Hornet at 11%. That's pretty full on! I like the promo: "The Mega Hornet is for experienced pilots only."

Willow

Assistant Moderator

I see they have Mega Hornet at 11%. That's pretty full on! I like the promo: "The Mega Hornet is for experienced pilots only."
Yes Super Hornet does have some kick but that's part of the taste.

I limit myself to two schooners of Super Hornet and make sure I'm not driving well beforehand. It's just an after work Friday thing.

Not aware of the Mega, or maybe I've tried it but can't tememember. lol. Will definitely make enquiries next Friday.

The_Frog

First Grade

Beers this strong generally have to age for a few years to reach their best. My strongest is a 13% coffee stout that's been conditioning for 2 years now and I haven't even tasted yet. I also did a 12.7% quadrupel (clone of Chimay Blue) with Kveik yeast that was drinkable after a couple of months, but much of it is still aging in bottles. These are winter beers, really.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Almost no beer is better aged, unless it's been barelled or possibly some bottle ferment beers.
Some styles age well, almost all of them high ABV, most don't. Hop forward styles like these IPA's tend to lose some of the hop flavour after a couple of years. Making them so strong seems like a gimmick to me. I'd like to try them though, especially the 8% one.

Bazal

Post Whore
Some styles age well, almost all of them high ABV, most don't. Hop forward styles like these IPA's tend to lose some of the hop flavour after a couple of years. Making them so strong seems like a gimmick to me.

IMO it depends really.

I've got a Balter Cryomofo right now, 7%...not really high, but I would say yes, gimmick. It's hoppy, but not enough to need a big body and yo could easily get away with 5% ABV. Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, on the other hand, needs the alcohol otherwise it would never work.

Same for something like the Bentspoke Descent. I love the beer, Russian Imperial Stout at 10% or more, but I genuinely think it needs it. Particularly the 2020 edition which has heavy bourbon barrel impact.

Bazal

Post Whore
I've made a couple of these. At least 4 years to reach their best.

Sure but you've gotta remember, most actual commercial brewers do the aging before release. Unlike wine drinkers, beer drinkers normally don't want to wait

Hence the Benstpoke having such heavy bourbon barrel impact.

Latest posts