What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Halfback

AdamH

Juniors
Kimmorley hasn't been that bad. In fact I thought he was going okay. Craig Gower and Matt Orford been good and deserve a spot in the squad but I really believe that Brent Sherwin has earnt the halfback position both this season and last.

Stevo_G

Juniors
Matt Orford has been a quiet acheiver this year he has been playin good footy for the storm, but i doubt he would get a spot

28 players seems to many players for a 6 match tour

Special K

Coach
If you think Kimmorley hasn't been playing well then wake up. Just because the sharks had a bad year doesn't mean Noddy did. He was missing for most of the year with a broken jaw and his nuts but when he has been on the park his been awesome for us. He has had 2 bad games in two years, the others he has been our best or 2nd best.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I see some Sharks fans are still hanging on to the sill argument that any of their players are worthy of something. Please. And where did you finish the year again? When was the last time you won a premiership again?

Matt Orford has been the best half back all year. Even my buddy Russell Fairfax agree's and has stated many a time that he's been as good as Johns has as well. Unfair statement? Both players have been injured during the year and look where Melbourne and Newcastle are on the ladder.

I rest my case morons.

Jimbo

Immortal
Where did the Dragins finish? When did they last win a premiership? How many of them are going?

miccle

Bench
:lol: i love it - all the sharkies fans are screaming for Kimmorley. Surely you can't all look past the likes of Gower and Sherwin? Christ... i don't see any broncs fans here pining for Ikin at no.6 - but quite frankly i'd rather have him at 5/8 than noddy at halfback! :lol:

Mark Rudd

Juniors
We're saying Matt Orford is better than both of them.

Geyer the best 5/8th by far.

Robbie Kearns the form Prop.

Slater the best fullback.

Cameron Smith the best hooker.

Storm the team to beat.

millersnose

Post Whore
miccle said:
:lol: i love it - all the sharkies fans are screaming for Kimmorley. Surely you can't all look past the likes of Gower and Sherwin? Christ... i don't see any broncs fans here pining for Ikin at no.6 - but quite frankly i'd rather have him at 5/8 than noddy at halfback! :lol:

screaming?

dont have to

he will be selected

Jimbo

Immortal
Mark Rudd said:
We're saying Matt Orford is better than both of them.

Geyer the best 5/8th by far.

Robbie Kearns the form Prop.

Slater the best fullback.

Cameron Smith the best hooker.

Storm the team to beat.

Oh, so you're a Storm fan then. Thanks for clearing that up...

:roll:

Frenzy

Juniors
miccle said:

Don't generalise please :)

I don't give a rat's if BK goes or not. But there are certain traditional things selectors do when picking teams and they won't change this year.

It's not about form, never has been. Any old timer here will tell you that. It's about past performances, Kimmorley 9 tests no losses, it's about coach preference, although they have no vote they asked for their opinion and it's about politics.

This is theoretical but they do things like this

QRL may be able to wear having BK but not be happy about having Sherwin for example. SO they play give and take. The QRL will say we have no problem with BK going as long as Tate gets in to run off him and all manner of manouvering like that.

I'm already on record as saying BK, on form, is not the number one choice but I'll also bet my house he is the number 1 choice in the selectors eyes.

To catch a fish, you have to think like a fish. Same goes for selecting a rep team :)

yappy

Bench
If Noddy is anything like fit he'll be selected - Ando wouldn't let his sweetheart down. But I'd love to see Orford get a run. I've had a wrap on him since he joined the Mexicans, how good is he going? The Class half of the younger brigade. I honestly think Shifty will struggle to make it as good as he is.

5/8 is the wide open spot. I don't think there are really any good genuine No. 6's around apart form Freddy and Barrett (who isn't a shadow of Fittler). Campbell is doing a great job there, but is unlikely to get a go for the roos. The rest (like Timmo and Geyer) are all fill ins. Wing, Orford, Gower could all fill in admirably I reckon for the Roos.

Poor old Pommies. Joey goes down and we have to pick between Noddy, Orford, Gower, Shifty, Berro, and Wing for a replacement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Very interesting, but you all have forgotten 4 things.

1) Selectors always respect people who have stood tall in the green and gold before. (strengthening Kimmorley's position)

2) Half of the selection panel a Queenslanders, and if the Broncos win their next, say, 2 games, then there is one bloke on the plane who no one has mentioned: Shaun Berrigan

3) The selectors chose the squad AFTER the grand final, not halfway through the first round of the semis, and, possibly most importantly

4) They are also looking for a 5/8.

Lets assume that Danny Berdueris will be hooker. Craig Wing is the test player that covers half and hooker, so he will go. There will be no Timmins of Ikin.

What happens if we have a 2000 GF replay - Easts v Warriors? That would mean that the halfback candidates would have lost in week 3, and I'd say Kimmorley would be a shoe in.

Quite simply, Gower, Sherwin and Orford need to get in the GF to have a chance. Sherwin would have to be the pick, as Anasta is now a big chance to be 5/8. Selectors like combinations. However, if the Dogs play like they did last night, Sherwin wouldn't go.

Orford has the bonus that Matt Geyer is probably the form available 5/8, and he HAS represented before with distinction. The Storm are also in form, as are their halves.Big plus.

Preston Campbell, despite his talents,will not be mentioned nuless he goes close to a Clive Curchill medal. Gower HAS had rep experience, but not since he disgraced himself at Coogee. I'd say penrith would have to win the comp, or at least lost to the Warriors orEasts to make it.

I reckon Berrigan needs 2 more bronco wins to get the job. he is the only half in the finals that has Origin experience, and he has planty of it. He was the half that played in Queensland's big win, and he has the combination with Lockeyer. You need someone who can tell the likes of Tallis, Webcke, Kennedy, Gidley et al what you want of them - a big call for a young player in the test arena.

If I had a bet,I'd say that I would be backing this combination for the first test,in order:

1) Kimmorley/Berrigan
2) Orford/Geyer
3) Kimmorley/Anasta
4) Sherwin/Anasta

The again, as Chris Anderson alluded to earlier in the year, Noddy might play 5/8 (I'm sure he's be capable of it). If so, I'd back Berrigan over Orford to play half.

Interesting to see how it a;lpans out.

Misty Bee said:
Very interesting, but you all have forgotten 4 things.

If I had a bet,I'd say that I would be backing this combination for the first test,in order:

1) Kimmorley/Berrigan
2) Orford/Geyer
3) Kimmorley/Anasta
4) Sherwin/Anasta

The again, as Chris Anderson alluded to earlier in the year, Noddy might play 5/8 (I'm sure he's be capable of it). If so, I'd back Berrigan over Orford to play half.

Interesting to see how it a;lpans out.

Quite well written but you do forget that the broncos have lost 7 straight and will lose today.
Why sholdn't Campell and Gower play as a combo.
Love your second option. Geyer's a bit like the Axe was, never gets mentioned but you know he'd get the job done.

The 5/8 will be a more interesting chioce than the 1/2 and they will be picked together rather than individually.

I think Anasta is no hope and sherwin's hope will go out when the strom beat the bulldogs.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'd love to see Gower and Campbell go on tour - especially Campbell. He's so electrifying at his best. However, we all know the selectors won't pick him. do you think Anderson will want to tour with him?

Gower almost played himself into a test jumper today. However, I feel they willgomore the organiser, rather than the doer. I still lean toward Kimmorley.

I guess Berrigan is out of the equasion now.

Matt23

Staff member
It has to be Craig Gower, the un-official player of the year, Australia being unbeaten with Kimmorley, should not be a factor in selection, but we all who it will be don't we? :roll:
When Ando steps down as coach...will this player still get a look in??

Misty Bee

First Grade
You can certainly say the same about some brisbane players. Tallis is a shoe in as skipper, but what has he done to deserve it? He'snot even in the top 4 second rowers in the country. Can't see the difference between selecting Tallis and selecting Noddy.

Matt23

Staff member
Thats actually a good point, Misty, Gordy did'nt have his best season.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think matt Orford would have won every single persons vote after friday night - he was sensational and I hated him for every second of it! :evil:

And Craig Gower is the latest Channel 9 player to get into the heads of everyone, just because fatty and co say it - doesnt make it a smart thing to agree on. Gower is unrightfully getting the credit for the good work everyone else at Penrith is doing.

Latest posts