What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Squad Announced

Ram Man

Juniors
ok, so the hunt v gidley is debatable but thaiday missing out, come on, fitzgibbon? what the f**k? also glenn stewert isn't that inspiring i don't think, i think there are better players out there.

Glenn Stewart offers something a little different as far as wide running back rowers go. We have plenty of bash it up players like Thaiday, doesnt really have the foot work to trouble any sides, he is more a power players and is great in defence but there are a number of those players in the squad. He adds a different dimension out wide....plus he deserves it for a solid year especially the back half when he was outstanding through the entire finals series. And there is also some possible legal troubles hanging over his head which Im sure the organisers do not want polarised during the WC

Jasdragon

Juniors
I would go:

1. Brett Stewart
2. Greg Inglis
3. Israel Falou
4. Justin Hodges
5. Billy Slater
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Petero Civoniceva
9. Cameron Smith
10. Brent Kite
11. Michael Crocker
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Steve Price
16. Anthony Laffranchi
17. Josh Perry

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I would think that the selectors would be hesitant to select Thaiday and Hunt giving their pending investigations - it would draw significant negative publicity and greater scrutiny to the Australian team to have them in it.

With that being said, as someone who supports neither the Knights nor the Broncos, I'd rather have Gidley than Hunt.

Dazzat

First Grade
From a Queensland point of view, the rip off at Australian rep level continues. Despite winning three years in a row, Queensland again is in the minority of representatives, continuing a tradition that has lasted since who knows when ...

This is bias selections in the highest order! How many series wins do Queensland need to win to gain a higher representation? Six, seven, eight??? Double figures is my guess!

And who missed out? Thaiday for a start. Hannant and Myles have played more consistent football than Perry.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Not a bad squad.

Cant believe Fitzy made it over Mayles though. Nate was by far our best forward this season...he was a beast. And he was overlooked by old-man Fitzy!

Quite shocking.

Vicious

Bench
On form Sam Thaiday was a must inclusion, Karmichael Hunt offers much more than Brent Tate and on form over the back half of this season, as a real selection shock I would have selected Trevor Thurling perhaps over the departing Mick Crocker. Otherwise, I think they have the side pretty much spot on.

DJShaksta

First Grade
On form Sam Thaiday was a must inclusion, Karmichael Hunt offers much more than Brent Tate and on form over the back half of this season, as a real selection shock I would have selected Trevor Thurling perhaps over the departing Mick Crocker. Otherwise, I think they have the side pretty much spot on.

Thaiday and Hunt were never going to be picked, as was Greg Bird never going to be picked amidst the police investigations that hang over their heads. Forget about them and move on.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Reiterating - Thaiday and Hunt were always going to struggle to be included because of the negative media attention currently attached to them. Anyone who wanted the WC to be a success would leave them out of their squad.

JW

Coach
I would think that the selectors would be hesitant to select Thaiday and Hunt giving their pending investigations

Exactly. I'm not the slightest bit fussed about them not being in the squad and given the depth Australia has its quite easy to more than cover for just about any player. On the other hand, I think Hodgo, Fitzy and one or two others should consider themselves a bit lucky but i'm sure they'll do the job when needed.

On the squad as whole - there'll always debate over its make-up but as I mentioned above that's just a welcome problem that Australian teams over the years have faced. The selectors certainly haven't picked a dud squad by any means so the players picked should do the jersey proud.

Sir Biffo

Bench
From a Queensland point of view, the rip off at Australian rep level continues. Despite winning three years in a row, Queensland again is in the minority of representatives, continuing a tradition that has lasted since who knows when ...

This is bias selections in the highest order! How many series wins do Queensland need to win to gain a higher representation? Six, seven, eight??? Double figures is my guess!

And who missed out? Thaiday for a start. Hannant and Myles have played more consistent football than Perry.

But then your persistent moaning point of having half as many players and NSW having all the best to choose from would be invalid wouldn't it? If you have so few players, surely you have to expect to have fewer in the Australian side?

There are a thousand players who have played more consitent football than Perry.

Thaiday might be in the clink for the WC, don't want him having to miss a game to duck off to court.

Johns Magic

Referee
p*ss off, perry has sh*t all over cross this year and fully deserves his spot

Except that Cross has averaged more metres and more tackles per game than Perry this season, with limited fitness. Sort've a prop's main role in a team...

Latest posts