What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Summer Of Tennis

Razor

Coach
Tips for official tournaments in the lead up to the Australian Open

Week 1

Women

Gold Coast - Patty Schynder (2)
Auckland - Lina Krasnoroutskya (WC)

Men

Qatar - Roger Federer (1)
India - Carlos Moya (1)
Adelaide - Jochim Johansson (2)

Week 2

No draws for this week have been released yet, so I might update my tips once the draw comes out

Women

Sydney - Vera Zvonereva (6)
Hobart - Dinara Safina (5)
Canberra - Meghann Shaughnessy (4)

Men

Sydney - Carlos Moya (2)
Auckland - Dominik Hrbaty (3)

Week 3

No draws for this week have been released yet, so I might update my tips once the draw comes out

Women

Aussie Open - Serena Williams(?)

Men

Aussie Open - Roger Federer (1)

knightsgal85

Juniors
Hi Razor. Do you know a website detailing the draw for the Next Generation Australian Hardcourt Championship (Adelaide)? I believe Joachim Johansson is the greatest threat to Lleyton Hewitt gaining the title, and was just curious to see the line-ups.

I heard on the news that if Hewitt reaches at least the semi-finals in Adelaide that he will overtake Roddick in the rankings enabling him to start on the opposite side of the draw to Roger Federer for the Australian Open – which is a good incentive.

For anyone that's interested, the Hopman Cup is being televised on ABC now (Argentina v. Italy).

Razor

Coach
Hi Razor. Do you know a website detailing the draw for the Next Generation Australian Hardcourt Championship (Adelaide)? I believe Joachim Johansson is the greatest threat to Lleyton Hewitt gaining the title, and was just curious to see the line-ups.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=23452

The first post in the thread has the draw.

I heard on the news that if Hewitt reaches at least the semi-finals in Adelaide that he will overtake Roddick in the rankings enabling him to start on the opposite side of the draw to Roger Federer for the Australian Open – which is a good incentive.

It's been reported but it's not true, because they forgot that it's best 5 non-mandatory tournaments, not total. So if Adeliade counts, another tournament comes off. Even if he wins Adelaide he can't take the number 2 spot. If he wins Adelaide he gets 175 points, and the 110 from Tokyo comes off. Roddick and Hewitt will then be equal on points, and if that's the case the ranking is decided by mandatory points, which Roddick has more.

So the seedings for the AO are

1. Federer
2. Roddick
3. Hewitt
4. Safin
5,6,7. Moya, Henman, Coria
8. Agassi

knightsgal85

Juniors
Thanks for the link - much appreciated.

Razor said:
It's been reported but it's not true, because they forgot that it's best 5 non-mandatory tournaments, not total. So if Adeliade counts, another tournament comes off. Even if he wins Adelaide he can't take the number 2 spot. If he wins Adelaide he gets 175 points, and the 110 from Tokyo comes off. Roddick and Hewitt will then be equal on points, and if that's the case the ranking is decided by mandatory points, which Roddick has more.

I'm not at all knowledgeable in the area of how rankings are determined, but your explanation makes sense. Is this tournament televised on free-to-air?

Razor

Coach
The Gaven girl Sammy Stosur leads world number 18 6-4.

Start of the 2nd set. Good going by her.

Razor

Coach
And Sam wins 64 62

To play Iveta Bensova next. I hopefully will see that match. I have tickets to the day session, so unless she's put on the night session I'll see it.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
And Sam wins 64 62

To play Iveta Bensova next. I hopefully will see that match. I have tickets to the day session, so unless she's put on the night session I'll see it.

That's a fantastic result - great to hear :D I hope you have an awesome time at the tennis Razor. I wish I could go and watch the tennis.

I've been tuning in to the Hopman Cup knowing Australia was playing today. I was so frustrated with the way Mark Philippoussis was playing, that I couldn't stand watching it anymore, and decided to watch the cricket instead. However, I can understand that he is not at the pinnacle of his game as yet, and it will be a while until he gets into the flow of things, especially after a disappointing 2004. It was great to see Alicia Molik win. Hopefully, Australia win the mix doubles to clinch the tie.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
And Sam wins 64 62

That's a fantastic result - great to hear :D I hope you have an awesome time at the tennis Razor. I wish I could go and watch the tennis.

I've been tuning in to the Hopman Cup knowing Australia was playing today. I was so frustrated with the way Mark Philippoussis was playing, that I couldn't stand watching it anymore, and decided to watch the cricket instead. However, I can understand that he is not at the pinnacle of his game as yet, and it will be a while until he gets into the flow of things, especially after a disappointing 2004. It was great to see Alicia Molik win. Hopefully, Australia win the mix doubles to clinch the tie.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Oh geez, I just realised I double posted the same response ](*,) Oh well!

Oh, I was also going to mention that many published articles still continue to report that if Hewitt reaches the semi finals in Adelaide that he will gain the World Number 2 ranking from Roddick, thereby placing him in the opposite side of the draw to Federer for the Australian Open.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200501/s1275474.htm

Razor

Coach
Lleyton's sister Jaslyn Hewitt is tied at 1-set all against world number 46 Klara Koukalova. I've never been a fan of Jaslyn's game and didn't think she deserved the wildcard, but she's ranked 351 in the world so to take it to the third against a top 50 player is a great effort.

Razor

Coach
Razor, do you know the final outcome for this match?

Hewitt led 2-1 with a break in the third, but lost it 6-2

I was going to go today, have a ticket in Row A. But last night got a call and I have to work 1:00pm-10:00pm so can't go :( Hopefully I'm not working tomorrow or Thursday

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
Razor, do you know the final outcome for this match?

Hewitt led 2-1 with a break in the third, but lost it 6-2

It's a pity she didn't come home with the win. However, that was a good effort nevertheless.

I was going to go today, have a ticket in Row A. But last night got a call and I have to work 1:00pm-10:00pm so can't go :( Hopefully I'm not working tomorrow or Thursday

How awful is that! Can you get a refund or something? I would be so annoyed if I were in a similar situation - I would probably refuse to go to work, and make some woeful excuse up :lol: For your sake, I hope you manage to go and watch the tennis some time soon.

Razor

Coach
Can you get a refund or something?

Nope, no refunds

I would probably refuse to go to work, and make some woeful excuse up

I was thinking of that, but I only started 2 weeks ago, and since I'm casual, they might give me less hours if I'm not available when they want me.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor, you must be extremely proud with the following result ;-)

S. Stosur def. I. Besenova, 6-2, 7-6 - Second round of Uncle Tobys Hardcourt Championships.

I heard it on the radio this morning. That is an enormous effort to reach the quarter-finals. Hopefully, she can continue to impress :D

knightsgal85

Juniors
I just read an article that Gael Monfils upset Gaston Gaudio (no. 2 seed) 6-4, 7-6 in the first round of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open - what a fantastic effort! :clap:

Rafael Nadal also defeated Makhail Youzhny (no. 4 seed) 6-3, 7-6. I remember seeing Rafael play early last year and I was amazed with his power and energy. Good going by him! :clap:

Razor

Coach
I heard it on the radio this morning. That is an enormous effort to reach the quarter-finals. Hopefully, she can continue to impress

Yes Stosur will be a great chance of making the final now.

She plays Maleeva next, and will be a good shot at winning that match.

Petrova at her best should beat her, but Petrova is incredibly mentally fragile whenever she reaches the later rounds of a tournament (she has never won a tournament despite her ability). Petrova wasn't that good today either in the 2nd round. Petrova is terrible in finals after the 1st set if she wins it. Semis' she's better but still very clear signs of choking and loses many matches she should win(The Russians have a bit of a habit of mental fragility, Sharapova is the only one who doesn't and she lived in Florida since she was 9). But then we don't know what Sam's mental state will be in a similar situation.

I think Schynder will in the tournament but Sesil Karatantcheva who Schynder plays next could make it - Sesil is a 15yo with massive potential.