What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Summer Of Tennis

astrogirl

First Grade
Safin's post match interview was great!

But one of my mates just said to me that Safin didn't shake the umpire's hand at the end of the match! :shock: Is that right??? :shock:

I could be quite a Safin fan if it weren't for that...

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
Great win by Safin.

But it makes the final hard to pick

If Safin is on, he's a cert; but there's a good chance he could turn into dickhead Marat, and get beaten easily. Just depneds on what Marat turns up.

Yeah, it was a terrific win by Marat Safin. Quite surprised he kept his cool throughout the match reasonably well, unlike what we usually see of him when he is frustrated. It definitely helped him on his road to glory last night/this morning. Good to hear that Marat Safin keeps his winning 5-set match record in tact at the venue as well. Just to see Marat keep fighting in the 4th set tiebreak where he was down 5-2, was absolutely amazing. What a spectacular lob by Marat Safin in the tiebreak - great effort to chase the ball down initially - but it just goes to show his desperation of winning. Unbelievable the way he saved match point in the tiebreak. It eventually took Marat Safin 7 match points to finally win the match in the 5th and deciding set, but full credit to Roger for denying him so many times to make it one epic semi final. Fantastic to see Marat Safin's power on his return of serve on the 7th match point sending Roger out of court, enabling him to make an easy forehand in the open court. Congratulations to Marat Safin - a well deserved win :clap: Hopefully, it will be third-time lucky for Sunday's final, and he finally becomes the winner of the Australian Open 2005, instead of a runner-up.

knightsgal85

Juniors
astrogirl said:
Safin's post match interview was great!

But one of my mates just said to me that Safin didn't shake the umpire's hand at the end of the match! :shock: Is that right??? :shock:

I could be quite a Safin fan if it weren't for that...

Yeah, Marat's post on-court match interview was lovely. A beautiful gesture of the audience to sing "Happy Birthday". I haven't read any transcripts of either player's press conference after the match though - but would love too.

I'm unsure as to whether Marat did shake the umpire's hand at the conclusion of the match though - I was just too excited to pay any attention! :lol: :oops:

astrogirl

First Grade
I really enjoyed Safin's post match interview with Courier.

When asked if he thought he would make it to Federer's drop volley to save match point he said something like "You don't think, you just go for it."

Sensational.

Razor

Coach
Although it would be good if Molik won the doubles title today, I really want Corina Morairu to win her 2nd Grand Slam title. After everything she went through with her near-fatal battle with cancer, and constant injury troubles since she returned, it would be great if she got back to her previous doubles form which took her to number 1 in the world in 2000. She's to weak to play singles now, so is focussing only on doubles.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Razor said:
Although it would be good if Molik won the doubles title today, I really want Corina Morairu to win her 2nd Grand Slam title. After everything she went through with her near-fatal battle with cancer, it would be great if she got back to her previous doubles form which took her to number 1 in the world in 2000.

I never knew until now that you mention it of Corina's ordeal with cancer. From memory (which may very well be wrong - I could be thinking of another occasion) she partnered Lindsay Davenport in 2001 also, and they were the runners-up in the Australian Open women's doubles to Serena and Venus Williams who won in 3 sets. I may be mistaken but I think that day was her birthday as well. Like you say, it would be lovely to see either combination to win.

By any chance, around about what time will the women's doubles final be televised? I would very much like to watch it.

Razor

Coach
By any chance, around about what time will the women's doubles final be televised? I would very much like to watch it.

3:00pm in NSW

I could be thinking of another occasion) she partnered Lindsay Davenport in 2001 also, and they were the runners-up in the Australian Open women's doubles to Serena and Venus Williams who won in 3 sets. I may be mistaken but I think that day was her birthday as well.

Yes Lindsay and Corina were the runners-up in 2001 to the Williams sisters. It was her birthday. This year on Wednesday when they won their semi-final it was her 27th birthday.

The Grand Slam they won was 1999 Wimbledon.

She has really struggled since she came back

Her doubles results are

Wimbledon 1999 - Won
US Open 1999 - QF
Aussie Open 2000 - SF
Aussie Open 2001 - RU

Cancer battle

US Open 2002 - QF
French 2003 - 1st
Wimbledon 2003 - 1st
US Open 2003 - 1st
Aussie Open 2004 - 3rd
US open 2004 - 2nd

knightsgal85

Juniors
It's great to see Alicia Molik win her first Grand Slam title - she deserves it and played fantastic today :clap: Great pairing in Alicia Molik and Svetlana Kuznetsova - top effort by both of them. I think this is their first time they have paired up together, so to win a Grand Slam together on their first attempt as partners is tremendous.

It was a fairly comprehensive victory in the end for Alicia Molik and Svetlana Kuznetsova who defeated Lindsay Davenport and Corina Morariu in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. Unfortunately for Lindsay and Corina they have to once again settle with runners-up, but it's been great to see them progress so far in this tournament - so that's an achievement in itself - especially for Corina.

knightsgal85

Juniors
I haven't read any transcripts of either player's press conference after the match though - but would love too.

I just found the transcripts of Marat Safin's and Roger Federer's respective interviews I was looking for previously (I'm quite slow). The links are as follows if anyone is interested and hasn't read them as yet:

Marat Safin:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-27/200501271106835106135.html

Roger Federer:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2005-01-27/200501271106836148063.html

knightsgal85

Juniors
YES!@

Hewitt did it.

THrough to the final.

Safin v Hewitt - BOOOYAH! thank you very much.

Hooray! :D

What an amazing night for Australian tennis.

I was surprised at times at Andy Roddick's poor shot selection, especially in both tiebreaks. He just seemed to crumble from the moment Lleyton Hewitt attained the break back in the third set – and continually pressed too hard with his attack. Perhaps Andy's lack of 'real' battles throughout the tournament took its toll as well, but you have to admire Lleyton's determination and mental toughness. Full credit to Lleyton on a wonderful performance tonight. He must be thrilled that the duration of the match only lasted a little under 3 hours as well. It would be truly incredible if Lleyton were to win Sunday's final. I'm absolutely thrilled to see a Lleyton Hewitt v. Marat Safin final. Lleyton has had an amazing journey so far in this tournament, he has had to battle practically all the way through, and it has paid dividends. You have to admire that 'never say die' attitude of his. It promises to be one great final. Go Lleyton! :D

Big Mick

Referee
I'm Rapt also because I had a bet this afternoon on Lleyton winning 3 sets to 1 and had $20 on it paying $6

So i'm $120 up

along with the $100 i got for Safin's win in 5 yesterday i've had quite a good couple of days.

YAY!

not gonna bet on the final, too close to call.

knightsgal85

Juniors
thuganomics said:
Williams beats Davenport in 5 sets.
Shocked me after I saw how good Davenport played in the 1st Set.

A great come-from-behind win by Serena. I feared the worse when it was clearly evident that she was suffering from a lower back injury early in the match, but to her credit she kept battling on. The turning point of the match was definitely the 5th game of the second set where Serena had to save 6 break points to hold serve. That was a crucial moment in the match especially for Serena's chances of securing her second win here, and from there on, she was well and truly in control. The second critical moment was in the 8th game, where Lindsay was up 40-0 on her own serve, but was broken. I honestly didn't mind who won the final, as they are both lovely players, but I'm absolutely happy that Serena is once again Australian Open champion (especially after everything she had to endure during 2004) - she has started 2005 in grand fashion.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Big Mick said:
I'm Rapt also because I had a bet this afternoon on Lleyton winning 3 sets to 1 and had $20 on it paying $6

So i'm $120 up

along with the $100 i got for Safin's win in 5 yesterday i've had quite a good couple of days.

YAY!

not gonna bet on the final, too close to call.

Lucky you Mick! Top effort :clap: I'm too risk-averse to narrow my bets to sets :lol:

For once I have had 2 valid bets remain intact for the final showdowns. At the beginning of the tournament (actually, I think it was a few days before the commencement of the Australian Open to be precise) I placed a bet each on the women's and men's final singles winner. My selections were Serena Williams and Marat Safin. I was quite thrilled to finally have achieved a 50-50 chance on each bet for once. I was pleased to see Serena winning this afternoon. The last time I had won with a similar bet was when Juan Carlos Ferrero won the French Open way back in 2003 :oops: :lol:

Can't wait until tomorrow night's men's singles final! :D I don't mind who wins it, but I'll be cheering Lleyton on.

Razor

Coach
Great womens final. I had to tape it as I was at work. Shame I found out the winner before I watched it (girl working at Baskin Robbins told me when asking if I watched it)

Razor

Coach
One thing I just saw somewhere else Serena was the first person to defeat 3 of the top 4 seeds in the same tournament - 1st, 2nd, and 4th seeds (of course that can only be done by someone who isn't in the top 4 seeds). She has the record for most points gained at a single tournament (1208 - 2nd is Double-H with 1156 at FO 2003, 3rd is Serena again with 1100 at Wimbledon 2003)