What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awarding our worst era

slippery eel

Juniors
Have you ever noticed how Parra sides from 91-95 can be the most talked about?. An era where the eels were complete shockers but ppl love talking about players such as Erickson, Drake, Tollett, Crnkovich, Woods, Mahon etc!. :lol:

For example Hollywood Jesus loves this era!. :lol: Please explain. :p

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I also have memories from that era.

That's because I watched them (on TV) and supported them no matter where they were on the ladder.

Some of our alcahol soaked minds have limited memory spans.

(Not you HJ, I'm sure you have a wonderful mind.)

Nikki

Coach
You know why we love talking about it, coz no matter how bad the team was going at least we can say we were there. Not like the bandwagoners.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
damn right Nikks, and there's nuffin' wrong with scotty mahon mate?!! :lol:

Nikki

Coach
Danny Crnkovich.. MMM... I wanted to marry him. Hey! Him and Hindy almost had the same hair do... :lol: :lol: :lol:

half

Coach
if only crnkovich's hair gave him magical powers as well

what could've been

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Nikki said:
Danny Crnkovich.. MMM... I wanted to marry him. Hey! Him and Hindy almost had the same hair do... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danny was a good mate of a friend of mine......and he is awesome bloke!!!

He actually used to work at a pub near me for a while when he was playing for Parra!!

I was unfortunate enough to go to almost all the home games between 92-95.......i say why there's a fascination was that the side was so mediocre we can now laugh as it is the past & we have gotten over it!!

In saying this there where some genuine good players in that era

Scott Mahon
David Woods
Michael Buettner
Jason Bell
Glenn Liddiard
Brian Jackson
Dallas Weston
Paul Dunn etc

I reckon if we could come up with the best possible side from 91 -95 it would be top 8 material.......as long as if there was a good coach.

The lonely days where i used to watch my beloved Eels get flogged more often then not are hopefully over for ever.....and hopefully we will never experience a finals draught compared to the magintured of Parra's drought between 87-96.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
hehe, those games were some of my first ever going to the footy, and i remember yelling at parra from the G/Stand, threatening them that if they didn't start winning, i'd become a broncos fan! :oops: how embarassment!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
JessEel said:
hehe, those games were some of my first ever going to the footy, and i remember yelling at parra from the G/Stand, threatening them that if they didn't start winning, i'd become a broncos fan! :oops: how embarassment!

Yeah they where some of my first games when i started going by myself...things where that bad, when we finished 11th in 93 i was so happy because it was such a big improvement......now when we miss the 8 that's a massive disapointment....how things have changed.

thedux

Juniors
As bad as those guys were as FG's, most were the core of the President's Cup side that won the comp in a canter in 1988 and then again in 1991. It's a shame the club didn't have the same buying policy back then that they have now, where everyone is fair game. Maybe we would have won something other than the 7's by now.

Easy. Basically most of those guys back then busted their damned asses simply cause they wanted to play for Parramatta. Not for Premierships, rep honours, recognition etc - sure those thigns would have been good - but guys like Mahon, Erickson, Crnkovich, Bartolo etc were all great Parra players who loved the jersey and had a heart for the Club.

these days guys switch Clubs at the drop of a massive cheque, or because of status etc. How many Clubs chased Bartolo? But he stayed because he was an Eel. Look at what Kenny did in his final year, turning his back on a good offer from balmain cause he was a Parra boy through and through.

Also, the great victories back then were so much better than anything the boys could do today. Why? Becuase today's boys are all superstars and down right outstanding players, so beating Brisbane at ANZ simply means 2 points and a slap on the back. Back then the boys were not massively talented great legendary Aussie players, and so beating Great Britain was down right bloody fantastic and outright amazing.

Also, back then I was actually playing footy and so it was those guys I looked to to learn the tricks and so forth.

Enough for a certain NRL coach to raise his eye 8) and certain current players to feel the brunt of my greatest weapon - my TACKLE :oops:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hollywood Jesus said:
Enough for a certain NRL coach to raise his eye 8) and certain current players to feel the brunt of my greatest weapon - my TACKLE :oops:

players to feel the brunt of my greatest weapon - my TACKLE

Know Jesus.... put that back in your trouses & stop scary the Parra boys with it :lol: ;-)

No wonder we didn't have a good year...if jesus was showing his "tackle" to everyone :lol: 8)

Misty Bee

First Grade
Nikki said:
You know why we love talking about it, coz no matter how bad the team was going at least we can say we were there. Not like the bandwagoners.

Yeah, those who followed the side from 75 to 86 were all bandwagoners, weren't they!

For me, the standouts of the 90-95 era were Pebbles Laurie and Scott Mahon.

And I still laugh at all the people who picked Brett kenny at 5/8 in their team of the 90s!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Nikki said:

Yeah, those who followed the side from 75 to 86 were all bandwagoners, weren't they!

For me, the standouts of the 90-95 era were Pebbles Laurie and Scott Mahon.

And I still laugh at all the people who picked Brett kenny at 5/8 in their team of the 90s!

Misty we didn't have really anyone in that position that made it there own in these years

Kenny was 5/8 in 90.....91...he was mainly lock...92.....5/8....93...mainly centre & lock with some games towards the latter part of the year at 5/8!!

Michael Specely in 93....was our 5/8 but??.....he hardly played in 94,95 due to injury.

There really weren't many options for us in this period...but Kenny wasn't as bad as you think, actually in his last year he played very well for us!!

I'll agree with Pebbles & Mahon.....both where legends & consistent performers. ;-)

I was a Parramatta supporter in 72, 73 & 74.

The early '90's team were overachievers in comparison.

Although, they did knock off Manly at Cumberland Oval 10 - 0 in the mud in 1973.

Nikki

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Hmm... dunno if im sensing a bit of sarcasm there but I hope you all know what I meant. I'll be the first to admit that i didnt start watchin league til '88 so i missed all the "glory" days. But i always have fond memories of sittin on my own in the empty terrace watchin the boys go around. I learnt alot about dedication in those days.