What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away Strips

ozjet1

There is a need for these in some cases, however I'm becoming pissed off with the use of away strips by clubs, just because they are the away club on match-day. Example, Parramatta had no reason to wear the new white strip they wore against Souths on the weekend, Brisbane seem to don the white jumper/blue shorts whenever they are away (no matter if their maroon and gold strip doesnt clash with the home opposition), and I noticed Manly wore a predominantly white strip on sat evening against the Tigers.

The situation is beginning to get out of control. Clubs should be instructed to wear their home strip for all matches. The away strip should only be used if the home strips of both match-day clubs are identical or similar.

These shenanigans aren't just restricted to the NRL. It seems to be an infectious disease associated with all Australian sport as the AFL do it too. Away strip rules adopted by FIFA and other major pro sports in the world are in place to actually serve a purpose!!!

Raider Azz

Bench
if they hardly ever wore the away strips fans would never buy it either. they wear it so fans will buy it.

Parra's away strip is awesome IMO.

Seemingly the only side that doesn't regulalry use an away strip is my mob, with the majority red strip used on the odd occasion (mostly at WIN).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think he has a right in this case...

Newtown weren't notified by Auckland until it was too late that there would be a clash in last weekends match. Both teams wear Royal blue and white... as a result of the colour clash, the Jets were for the first time ever forced to wear a different strip - the Roosters away jerseys.

A Newtown away strip will be manufactured for a single match in 2008 - ensuring the colour clash does not occur again.

Source: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13207

Frederick

Staff member
If that's the argument he's trying to make, then why didn't he mention it? :-s

Timmah

Staff member
Probably didn't want to sound like me? :lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The argument in pronciple is valid but maybe referring to the strips as alternate strips may be a better position. If you call them away strips then the clubs would almost be forced to wear them when not at a home game.

Also, it could be worse. We could have the English Premier League situation where some soccer clubs have 3 or more strips.

Timmah

Staff member
Like Parramatta?

bs_yel_jersey6.jpg
jc_wht_jersey2.jpg
Bluejerseythumb.jpg

skeepe

Immortal
Natalie's Daddy said:
Also, it could be worse. We could have the English Premier League situation where some soccer clubs have 3 or more strips.

You mean like, oh I don't know... Parramatta?

2007-jersey-400.jpg

Edit: Stupid Timmah!

Danish

Referee
Timmah said:
I think he has a right in this case...

Newtown weren't notified by Auckland until it was too late that there would be a clash in last weekends match. Both teams wear Royal blue and white... as a result of the colour clash, the Jets were for the first time ever forced to wear a different strip - the Roosters away jerseys.

A Newtown away strip will be manufactured for a single match in 2008 - ensuring the colour clash does not occur again.

Source: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=13207

What has that got to do with his argument??

He is complaining about clubs wearing their away strip regardless of if the home strip clashes or not. He approves of an alternate jersey being worn when necessary.

The Jets not having an away jersey has nothing to do with it.

Having said that i would be interested to know what the Jets away jersey will be. Most likely just a reverse of the current one.

jed

First Grade
ozjet1 said:
These shenanigans aren't just restricted to the NRL. It seems to be an infectious disease associated with all Australian sport as the AFL do it too. Away strip rules adopted by FIFA and other major pro sports in the world are in place to actually serve a purpose!!!
NFL - the away team wears a predominantly white jersey, ensuring no clash
ESL - the away team wears their away strip, unless a clash would then ensue
EPL - ditto (Natalie's Daddy, the 3rd strip is used in other competitions, most of the time only 2 strips are used for club games)

The NRL's rules are a little more erratic, with home teams wearing their away jersey at times, and vice versa. However, the NRL seems to call it an "alternate" strip, rather than an "away"

hrundi99

First Grade
NRL strips are officially known as Main and Alternate.

The NRL makes the decision on which strip the clubs will wear in each game.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i'm not a fan of them either (unless there's a clash) however I think marketing has a lot to do with it.....

Timmah

Staff member
PS - as a Broncos fan, aren't you dirty on the joke the away strip has become? It's almost to the point where to the naked eye it's looking white with black trim... the blue has gone that dark - and it features close to NO maroon and white...

Looks like the Magpies away jersey or something :?

Latest posts