What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[b]Should Teams Relocate To Expand NRL?[/b]

Chook

First Grade
NRL licenses WILL be relocated if the NRL is to expand! Notice I never said teams/clubs, because in today's game they are secondary in importance to the actual licence that allows these teams and clubs to play in the NRL.

If the NRL want to take the licence off say, Souths or Cronulla, and hand that licence to the Gold/Central Coast conglomerates they can, it's their licence.

Relocation is the answer, it's the only answer if our code is to expand and become a truly National competition.

Chook.

dimitri

First Grade
i think the NRL should say something along the lines of

there will not be a license given to a south sydney club in.........
you can still keep the license if you want however it will be a....... (eg adelaide ) license

dimitri

First Grade
you will find that this decision was in fact overruled again

and that the nrl could have kicked out souths again in the end

however kept them in there because of the disastrous effects it would have had

In-goal

Bench
Personaly i think Qld needs 4 clubs 2 in Brisbane one on the Gold Coast and of course the Cowboys, buy having this sought of setup we keep an entire state devoted to Rugby League.

There are too many clubs in Sydney and i just hope the pokie tax soughts this blemish out, It is no longer the NSWRL it is the NRL for all fans not just sydney siders.

I think the NRL with Sydney clubs need to sit down and decide on what is going to happen with regards on which clubs are finacial and which don't field enough Juniors etc.

For instance the Bulldogs could become the Liverpool Bulldogs and take in all surounding areas from Moorebank to Cambeltown, Penrith would take the entire North West i.e. Richmond and the like. Manly could become Chatswoods rep side taking in all the juniours from the Northern Beaches around to Ryde. Parra would remain Status Quo. St.Greorge to make a permanent move to Woollongong.
The Rooster would then take over all inner suburbs including North Sydney they would be the metro side, Souths and Cronulla would be best suited together as the South Sydney Sharks playing at Toyota the would have the entire shire and part of the juniour setup from were St.George use to be.

West Tigers would become null and void moving the Tigers to the GC would be the best option.

There for our comp would look like this before expansion.
Sydney Clubs:
Sydney Roosters
Chatswood (MANLY) Eagles
Liverpool Bulldogs (the dogs are currently just the bulldogs)
Parramatta Eels
South Sydney Sharks (souths and cronulla)
Penrith Panthers

Regional Clubs:
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
St.George Illawarra
Central Coast Bears

Interstate/International Clubs:
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Tigers
North Qld Cowboys
Melbourne Storm
New Zealand Warriors

That's 15 with the Central coast and Gold Coasts included, now this would only effect a minimum amount of surporters last season the Tigers Crowds were abysmal so were manlys fair enough. Souths well were do they represent anymore? I don't think the 5000 people at games last season were overly impressed buy the rest of there loyal army.

Alan Shore

First Grade
In-goal said:
Personaly i think Qld needs 4 clubs 2 in Brisbane one on the Gold Coast and of course the Cowboys, buy having this sought of setup we keep an entire state devoted to Rugby League.

There are too many clubs in Sydney and i just hope the pokie tax soughts this blemish out, It is no longer the NSWRL it is the NRL for all fans not just sydney siders.

I think the NRL with Sydney clubs need to sit down and decide on what is going to happen with regards on which clubs are finacial and which don't field enough Juniors etc.

For instance the Bulldogs could become the Liverpool Bulldogs and take in all surounding areas from Moorebank to Cambeltown, Penrith would take the entire North West i.e. Richmond and the like. Manly could become Chatswoods rep side taking in all the juniours from the Northern Beaches around to Ryde. Parra would remain Status Quo. St.Greorge to make a permanent move to Woollongong.
The Rooster would then take over all inner suburbs including North Sydney they would be the metro side, Souths and Cronulla would be best suited together as the South Sydney Sharks playing at Toyota the would have the entire shire and part of the juniour setup from were St.George use to be.

West Tigers would become null and void moving the Tigers to the GC would be the best option.

There for our comp would look like this before expansion.
Sydney Clubs:
Sydney Roosters
Chatswood (MANLY) Eagles
Liverpool Bulldogs (the dogs are currently just the bulldogs)
Parramatta Eels
South Sydney Sharks (souths and cronulla)
Penrith Panthers

Regional Clubs:
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
St.George Illawarra
Central Coast Bears

Interstate/International Clubs:
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Tigers
North Qld Cowboys
Melbourne Storm
New Zealand Warriors

That's 15 with the Central coast and Gold Coasts included, now this would only effect a minimum amount of surporters last season the Tigers Crowds were abysmal so were manlys fair enough. Souths well were do they represent anymore? I don't think the 5000 people at games last season were overly impressed buy the rest of there loyal army.

No way will Cronulla let itself be dragged down by the Bunnies. Adelaide Rabbitohs has a nice ring to it.

Cronulla own all their infrasturcture including the stadium and could expand to take in Kogarah. Naturally the Roosters will have Souths' tiny (if still existant) geographic areas.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
no more NSW teams, the NRL needs a gold coast team, and a perth team but they cant just chuck a team in there they need spend time and money developing the state and re-awakening they league there is alot of support but most of the people just arent interested anymore because of everythuing thats happened with the ARL/super league, perth reds......... play some trials games in perth to get more interest, put money and time into developing juniors and the local clubs

joondalup_giant

Staff member
no more NSW teams, the NRL needs a gold coast team, and a perth team but they cant just chuck a team in there they need spend time and money developing the state and re-awakening they league there is alot of support but most of the people just arent interested anymore because of everythuing thats happened with the ARL/super league, perth reds......... play some trials games in perth to get more interest, put money and time into developing juniors and the local clubs

Phillips

Referee
joondalup_giant said:

before theres a team in perth the nrl should look to the central coast, gold coast and wellington NZ

Tidus_Raider

Bench
In-goal said:
I think they should take a SOO to perth as well as an International.

I think this is the best idea. Not so much SOO but taking internationals would be sensational IMO. Afterall they do reresent all of Australia. Recently we saw an international played at Aussie stadium. Atrracted about 31k people. If a game is staged in Perth or Adelaide, if it promoted properly they'll easily sell out subiaco (about 43k capacity), expose west australians to the code yet retain strong tv ratings on the eastern seabord.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
the internationals is a real good idea if we can get 22,000 to a game with samoa vs uraguay imagime how much they could get if they played some good teams,(G.B vs N.Z or AUSTRALIA vs N.Z) the SOO idea, keep that in N.S.W or QLD,....id be happy with some NRL games over here because at least they'll be doin SOMETHING

In-goal

Bench
Yes i think the NRL need to take a different approach to expansion, play a decent match or 2 in Perth and buy that i don't mean Souths v Tigers.
Canberra v Warriors would sell very well anywere i think maybe they should have moved there wellington games there.

dimitri

First Grade
the wallabies play tests all over the country

and we definitely should too

this is where a world cup in australia would be very handy

Latest posts