What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B2

Tiger Shark

Bench
Is B2 performing to the level of a $625k player? No. Could he play to that level? Yes.

Will he play to that level? The conditions are in place for him to reach his potential. Middle defence has been addressed through recruitment of players and the coach. Coach will demand middles defend and B2 will be part of it. His attacking game needs to lift. My sense is this largely a function of confidence. Once he believes he can dominate at this level then he probably will.
It’s not 625k per year

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Our spine value cap wise would be in the bottom 4 in the Comp I reckon…

Kennedy - 400? Seriously what’s he on?
Hynes - 600
Trindall -?
Brailey - 625

doesn’t exceed 2M… if Fitz gets them going good we are in for a treat.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So who is on what, suspect Graham maybe Fifita the highest, McInnes and Funicane up there. So spine roughly $2m 'stars' say $3.5, leaves a fair bit.

R-15-3

Juniors
Wouldn’t surprise me if it was $500k then an extra $$50k each year to $650k year 4 that’s $2.3m over 4 + bonuses if reached say $50k rep each year to a possible $2.5m

Chimp

Bench
Even at the upper limits of what’s being suggested, I think it’s a smart move by the club given the hooker market currently, the dolphins and a potential cap increase down the line. If we didn’t offer that and he left, there ain’t much on the market, and there’s lots of clubs looking for a hooker… we’d either have ended up paying much more for some like Api K, or paying similar for a Sam Verrils type player.
More good business - what are we all going to moan about if the club keep up all this good work?

Tiger Shark

Bench
Yeah it was a no brainer retention. 625 figure seemed high but could live with that. At 525 it’s good value for what I believe we’ll see Brailey evolve into.

I think people have unrealistic expectations on the kid. He played almost every minute of this season. Did any hookers play more football than him this year?

And did any hooker have such a weak, contact avoiding plodder as his bodyguard? If anything, little B2 was the bodyguard for some of our so called big men!
The Goons are going to be going off their nuts by April next year.

The Sharks can announce that talented young hooker Blayke Brailey has signed a long-term contract extension with the Cronulla Club.

The 23-year-old Brailey, who was already contracted to the Club for 2022, today put pen to paper in finalising the new four-year deal which will see him remain in Sharks colours until at least the end of the 2026 season.

Despite interest from other teams, Brailey expressed that a desire to remain at the club where his NRL journey began as a 13-year-old Academy player was a major factor in committing to the Sharks long term.

“It’s the place I grew up, I was a local junior, I obviously wanted to stay here, so I’m excited to be a part of the future,” Brailey said. “This was my first choice, I really wanted to stay, so I’m grateful to get it done.”

braileysigns2.jpg

After coming through the ranks at the Sharks, with his junior career including incredible success at a club level with the Aquinas Colts, his team winning 10 consecutive Cronulla Junior League titles, Brailey would then play a pivotal role in the Sharks SG Ball success in 2015.

The Sharks won both the NSWRL and National under-18 championships.

It’s the place I grew up, I was a local junior, I obviously wanted to stay here, so I’m excited to be a part of the future.
Blayke Brailey
From there he represented the Sharks at an under-20’s level, before graduating to the NRL squad, where Brailey would make his top-grade debut alongside his brother Jayden in round 1 of the 2019 season.

He has since gone on to play 59 NRL games, including all 24 matches of the 2021 season, with Brailey now hard at it in the first few weeks of the pre-season and excited about the Sharks immediate future under new coach Craig Fitzgibbon.

“He (Fitzgibbon) was good about the whole situation and a reason why I wanted to stay. The first two weeks have been great, he’s a really knowledgeable coach and I’m excited to be working under him,” Brailey said.

One of the Sharks returning stars, Brailey has also been impressed with the newcomers and also those teammates back on deck through the early weeks of the 2022 pre-season.

“Already with the pre-season I’m seeing a lot of change, the boys have come back fit and healthy and it’s a real good feel around training at the moment,” he said.

“(The new recruits) are fitting in perfectly. They are training really well and I’m enjoying building some connections with them.

“We all know what we’ve got and we’re excited to see where we can go,” Brailey added.

ghoti

Bench
riccio reporting the dolphins made a huge last minute effort for B2. Might explain why it was bumped to 4 years.
Good for him to know he's in demand, but great sign that he stayed on.. I reckon he'll come into his own on this contract, but if he doesn't, $625k really isn't as much as it sounds anymore, salary cap will increase too

Tiger Shark

Bench
Good for him to know he's in demand, but great sign that he stayed on.. I reckon he'll come into his own on this contract, but if he doesn't, $625k really isn't as much as it sounds anymore, salary cap will increase too
okay for the last time, that amount of 2.5m was changed to 2.1m. Was it a typo ? who knows but it was changed so the figure is closer to 525k a season now.

Which is pretty bang on, okay maybe paying for potential but to have your hooker locked in for 5 years on that gives you some serious stability and room to spend big on others.