What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ba-Changes no fuss

eel01s

Bench
I think Norman has been OK. Although when Sandow is on fire, does it really matter is Norman is just steady? I would be persisting with him.

Gronk

Staff member
Norman is doing his job. Runs the ball when he sees something, but mostly spreads it wide. Solid defender.

So you reckon it is possible to judge a coach in his first year?
Maybe i need to do a rethink. How about, you can judge a coach in his first year, except if he's a shithouse one?

IMO ...

You can NOT judge a coach in his first year if:

1. He takes over a good/great squad and the team does good/great
2. He takes over a ordinary/crap squad and the team goes sh*t

You can MOST DEFINITELY judge a first year coach if:

1. He takes over a good/great squad and the team goes sh*t
2. He takes over a ordinary/crap squad and the team does good/great

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So light years ahead of Kelly then???

We are 3rd for points scored but 2 worst for defence. I Hardly think Norman is a problem.

Most of the damage was done in the game against the roosters, take half those points scored away and we are about average for points scored against us.

Noise

Coach
Ha, you can't just take away half of the score. What about all the other teams that have been flogged? Do they get to take some points away too?

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
Re: Norman, seeing too much of

Passing to the first row of the crowd
Making crucial handling errors
Kicking to full back on the full
Kicking over the dead ball line gifting the opp 7 tackles

Not enough of

Scoring tries
Setting up tries
Putting people into holes
Threatening the defence with either his running or passing game.
A solid kicking game putting the full back under pressure

As some have mentioned he has been solid defensively so certainly not a disaster but I think we should be getting more out of him.

Two crucial errors last night the dropped ball and the pass over the side line came when we had the ascendency and looked likely to score. Against better teams those type of shifts in momentum can be the difference between winning and losing.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Cowboys game ? Do we take away those points too ?

No, I was using an example of how one game can blow out our for and against to make it look like we have terrible defence. Yeah our defence needs improvement but we probably not in the bottom two for defence either.

Roosters/cowboy games were terrible but

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ha, you can't just take away half of the score. What about all the other teams that have been flogged? Do they get to take some points away too?

No see my post above. We have been flogged twice but apart from that our defence hasn't been as terrible as our for and against indicates.

If we were consistently getting 30 to 40 points scored against us then yeah it wouldn't be good.

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
No see my post above. We have been flogged twice but apart from that our defence hasn't been as terrible as our for and against indicates.

If we were consistently getting 30 to 40 points scored against us then yeah it wouldn't be good.

I kinda take your point we have defended pretty good on occasions and pretty bad on others.
But If we are ranked 2nd of third last for points conceded then we are the 2nd or 3rd worse defensive team. Pretty cut and dried isn't it?

Surely for and against is really good indication of how well a team defends and attacks ?

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
Re: Norman, seeing too much of

Passing to the first row of the crowd
Making crucial handling errors
Kicking to full back on the full
Kicking over the dead ball line gifting the opp 7 tackles

Not enough of

Scoring tries
Setting up tries
Putting people into holes
Threatening the defence with either his running or passing game.
A solid kicking game putting the full back under pressure

As some have mentioned he has been solid defensively so certainly not a disaster but I think we should be getting more out of him.

Two crucial errors last night the dropped ball and the pass over the side line came when we had the ascendency and looked likely to score. Against better teams those type of shifts in momentum can be the difference between winning and losing.

This.

He has been disappointing to be honest but like you said not quite a disaster. Would Kelly even be a better option?

84 Baby

Referee
I agree that Norman hasn't been playing outstanding football, but in the games I've watched I have noticed he is probably the player doing the most talking and that is usually a very good thing.

Someone made an error last night and I recall Norman yelling at them to get back in defensive line because they were just lying on ground. It may have even been Hayne who made the error.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I kinda take your point we have defended pretty good on accession. But pretty bad on others.
If we are ranked 2nd of third last for points conceded then we are the 2nd or 3rd worse defensive team. Pretty cut and dried isn't it?

Surely for and against is really good indication of how well a team defends and attacks ?

Yes we are definitely the 2nd worst defensively side which isn't good and I am sure Arthur is losing sleep over it.

But my point was I reckon only two games showed how poorly we can defend and contributed to our extremely poor for and against. Yet in the remaining games defence has been ok (but still needs improvement) which isn't indicated in our for and against. In games against Penrith, roosters, broncos we defended pretty bloody good.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This.

He has been disappointing to be honest but like you said not quite a disaster. Would Kelly even be a better option?
Sandow and Kelly defending together in the halves???

No thanks, Norman has been steady without doing anything outstanding. With guys like Hayne, Sandow and Hoppa we don't need him to do anything really flash. His handling has been pretty good up till last night.

emjaycee

Coach
Let's not forget that Norman spent most of the off season training primarily with the chosen one as his halves partner. Sandow and Norman combination needs time to gel, however apart from the odd mistake (which everyone has in them) Norman has been pretty solid in a team that is 5/9 and coming third in points for.

Last edited:

Euphoria85

Juniors
The chemistry of the team looks really good so far. The Hayne, Hoppa and Tonga look very happy. If we can keep the team happy and motivated then we will go well at the back end of the year.

I just want to beat lolsouffs and dogs then ill be one happy chap!

Forty20

First Grade
I loved Sio's response after he scored the penultimate try of the game.

He knew just how brilliant Hopoate's lead up work was and pointed to him immediately after planting the ball.

Latest posts