What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back to the future with Gerard Beale

George Sancti

Juniors
When I heard on the radio that the Dragons were in the process of bringing an ex player out of retirement to alleviate the current injury situation, I assumed it would be Gareth Widdop. I thought that this may be a reasonable appointment as Gareth could mentor some of the young halves coming though.

I cannot see what value beyond an experienced reserve grader Gerard Beale will bring to the club.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
When I heard on the radio that the Dragons were in the process of bringing an ex player out of retirement to alleviate the current injury situation, I assumed it would be Gareth Widdop. I thought that this may be a reasonable appointment as Gareth could mentor some of the young halves coming though.

I cannot see what value beyond an experienced reserve grader Gerard Beale will bring to the club.

Yes now that you have mentioned it Widdop would had been absolutely ideal . He would had been on a larger amount than Beale , however as you have said George the experience he would pass on would had been immense.

True_Believer

Juniors
England? Reserve Grade? Norman to centre and Clune into halves?

So you think you'd be able to get someone to come from England on a train and trial for next to nothing? If we've got 13 unavailable as it is, wouldn't we already be dipping into the Reserve Grade? Who then would be playing Reserve grade? You've just got to look at the team we've fielded for this week to see we're already scraping the barrel.

Crush

Coach
So you think you'd be able to get someone to come from England on a train and trial for next to nothing? If we've got 13 unavailable as it is, wouldn't we already be dipping into the Reserve Grade? Who then would be playing Reserve grade? You've just got to look at the team we've fielded for this week to see we're already scraping the barrel.
Mate, there must be players in England prepared to pay us to come live by the beach given the shit fight over there!
And surely we can still take players from within our lower systems, can’t we look outside our 30 now?
Why is every player we get a mate of someone at the club or an ex-player coming home?
Whatever.

True_Believer

Juniors
Mate, there must be players in England prepared to pay us to come live by the beach given the shit fight over there!
And surely we can still take players from within our lower systems, can’t we look outside our 30 now?
Why is every player we get a mate of someone at the club or an ex-player coming home?
Whatever.

He's not coming forever - he's coming for the rest of the year at this stage on, what I would assume, absolute minimal money. And he's got experience - something we're desperately missing with the current situation. Like I said, I think it's a good move.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Just don't think our young blokes are ready for the grind. Don't know why we can't seem to blood one or two and have success. Maybe Max and Matt have had a feel and can get it together. In the mean time like the next 4weeks or so we need experience to keep in the fight so Gerald Beale this week maybe Moses Maybe next week and JDB the week after

mightydragon

Juniors
Geez, you truely are a True Believer mate!
I cannot see how this bloke can plug a hole, he may make a few holes.
He was an average player in his prime. Now he’s been plucked from a Queensland Cup side? Cmon, this ain’t gonna work surely!
Maybe it gets Burns out of the centres where he had a shocker last week.

mightydragon

Juniors

I would have liked it to be Widdop too but even if he got a flight yesterday, it would be three weeks before we could get him on the field with a quarantine period

Crush

Coach
Maybe it gets Burns out of the centres where he had a shocker last week.
Burns is an up and coming young player starting his career. He’s not a centre you’re right. But I would prefer Burns to learn his craft out there and make mistakes than bring an average player out of retirement to “plug a hole”.
It’s not like we are making a run at the premiership this year.

mightydragon

Juniors
Burns is an up and coming young player starting his career. He’s not a centre you’re right. But I would prefer Burns to learn his craft out there and make mistakes than bring an average player out of retirement to “plug a hole”.
It’s not like we are making a run at the premiership this year.
I think he serves us better off the bench with Maguire and Tariq out this week. Playing people out of position will give us no chance of winning.

Old Timer

Coach
We were unable to land a medium sized fish let alone a big fish when our squad was nearly at full strength and injury free and now that we are almost at half strength and riddled with injuries and suspensions people somehow think we can land a big one now.

FMD wake up and see the Beale signing for what it is and be grateful he’s coming at all.

Souths had to do this a little while ago with Bronson Goodwin and he played reggies until the last man standing in 1st grade went down injured and then he filled in as required.

It’s not ideal but necessary.

Crush

Coach
We were unable to land a medium sized fish let alone a big fish when our squad was nearly at full strength and injury free and now that we are almost at half strength and riddled with injuries and suspensions people somehow think we can land a big one now.

FMD wake up and see the Beale signing for what it is and be grateful he’s coming at all.

Souths had to do this a little while ago with Bronson Goodwin and he played reggies until the last man standing in 1st grade went down injured and then he filled in as required.

It’s not ideal but necessary.
Which people think we can land a big signature mid season?

Latest posts