What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barcelona FC Ventila el Hilo

Abz

Juniors
The Barca fan Club - All talk about the glorious FCB!

barca2006.jpg

Abz

Juniors
Barcelona secured qualification for the knockout phase of the Champions League Tuesday as group E winners after French champions Lyon twice came from behind to level 2-2 with the Spanish giants.

A goal for each team inside the first seven minutes set the tone for a high-tempo match which also featured two second-half penalties for either side.

Barcelona's fourth win in five matches was enough for them to achieve their aim of finishing top of group E ahead of their final match against Stuttgart.

After Rangers' 3-2 defeat to the Germans, Lyon will battle away against the Glasgow side in a fortnight for the second qualifier's spot.

Lyon were without their injured top goalscorer Karim Benzema while Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard opted to keep embattled Brazilian star Ronaldinho on the bench.

But in a lively opening period there was no shortage of action, or goals.

Andres Iniesta gave the Catalans an early, albeit brief lead after finishing off a Lionel Messi move by latching on to Bojan's cross to beat Remi Vercoutre in the Lyon goal.

Four minutes later Juninho's freekick from 30 yards went high and missed all of its targets, but bounced over the diving Victor Valdes to level the scores.

Yaya Toure's 25-yard drive dipped just over Vercoutre's crossbar as the Spaniards toyed with Lyon's defence early on, and on the quarter hour Fabio Santos was gifted the ball as he pressurised Barca's defence, only to shoot straight at Valdes.

Vercoutre then pulled off a superb save to fingertip Toure's blast from the edge of the area around the post after Eidur Gudjohnsen had chested the ball down to the Ivory Coast midfielder.

Sidney Govou was next to miss a scoring chance, blasting an angled shot straight at Valdes from the edge of the area. Juninho picked up the rebound in a crowded area, but his effort was cleared by an alert Eric Abidal from the goalline.

Lyon then won a controversial free kick after Diego Milito was ruled to have fouled Fabio Grosso but Juninho's freekick went high and wide.

Barcelona were applying most of the pressure, but the half ended on a sour note when Rijkaard was excluded from the sidelines for protesting vigourously to the fourth official following Toure's yellow card for a foul on Juninho.

Perhaps buoyed by the news that Stuttgart had levelled against group qualification rivals Rangers, Lyon emerged a more determined team in the second half.

But they suffered a huge setback when Barca were awarded a penalty in the 58th minute when Messi was fouled by Sebastien Squillaci as he strode towards goal.

The Argentine stepped up and sent Vercoutre the wrong way with a deft left-foot shot, his joy tempered somewhat by the yellow card he was shown for walking too slowly back to the centre spot.

Govou gave Lyon brief hope when he won a soft free kick for a tussle with Carles Puyol, but Juninho's effort was again off target.

In the 67th minute Barca came close to killing off the match but Vecoutre pulled off a superb diving save to block Gudjohnsen's close-range drive.

Rijkaard then sent on Ronaldinho for Gudjohnsen, who really deserved to keep his place, but in the remainder of the match the Brazilian was conspicuous by his absence.

With 10 minutes remaining Lyon were given a lifeline as the referee pointed to the penalty spot for an Abidal foul on Abdul Kader Keita.

This time, Juninho's effort wrong-footed Valdes and levelled the scores at 2-2 in the 79th minute.

photophplg5.jpg

aqua_duck

Coach
I think we're still abit below par and cannot wait for Eto'o to get back, we need his direct approach. Ronnie needs to pull his finger out and the defence needs to communicate better, in all seriousness if the t6eam plays to their potentially they should be close to unbeatable. The only players I've been happy with this season are Messi, Iniesta, Yaya, and Krkic, I think the rest can do alot better

Abz

Juniors
Yep - we're missing Eto'o badly - I can't wait until he comes back. Will add the spark we've been missing.

hey good stuff! i was gonna start a barca thread last night, but forgot, but u did a good job, putting that cartoon picture i have on my phone background as the main picture lol.

anyone here got setanta sports? Barca TV is on it and i have seen some awesome stuff on it. There is this show called The green square, where they show interviews with former Barca greats. Ive only seen the one with Ferrer tho, which was good. Also they show Barca B and Barca U/16 match highlights and even what happened at training lol, its so good. and of course they show a lot of old matches.

Abz

Juniors
banghead.gif
I don't have Setanta sports. I'm trying to get it though. I can't wait for Henry to return... we're missing him. He's back for our next game I hear. Hope he's ready :)

Abz

Juniors
If he moves, we're pretty much gorrrn :( where did you hear this from? We can't afford to lose him. He's been working wonders with Henry

aqua_duck

Coach
IMO if we can get a nice tranfer fee for him I wouldnt mind too much, Messi is pretty much the ring leader now anyway, and it might give someone like Giovani more opportunities, although he would significantly weaken the left flank

aqua_duck

Coach
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
thanks for mark van bommel
no probs, he never really looked like he belonged at barca anyway, and he was never going to start ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Deco

Abz

Juniors
If he goes we'll feel it. He was (and in some regards still is) the guy that holds the attackers together (along with Lionel Messi) and like AD said in the other thread i'd like to see the fab 4 work together before contracts are negotiated. Results then ask for more $$$ :D

Abz

Juniors
Then again if he does go Lionel Messi will step up more and it'll give Henry more of a leadership role. He'll be close to the most experienced player out there. Dang... I'm thinking of going for France in Euro 2008 :lol: Not :p

Abz

Juniors
gunning_for_panthers said:
How's Henry doing at Barcelona?
Put it this way... we've bought someone completely different from Arsenal ;-) he's still finding his feet IMO.

hes not the same henry everyone knows. i still have faith tho.

one guy i think is easily the most under-rated player at barca but in the world

Andres Iniesta. seriously it should be called the fab 5, thats how much i think of this guy.

Latest posts