What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barry Toohey article - the ones that got away

Still Nutty

Juniors
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...d-near-misses-that-haunt-the-knights/?cs=7580

How Sydney Roosters grand final heroes Boyd Cordner and Latrell Mitchell and several other NRL stars were lost to the Knights

Every NRL club has them. The hard luck stories when it comes to recruitment and retention.

Back in 1991, the Newcastle Knights signed an 18-year-old kid from Wellington, New Zealand who lasted just three weeks before he was floored by home-sickness. He was reluctantly released.

It’s now history that Tana Umaga went on to become an All Black legend and one of World rugby’s greatest ever centres.

Almost two decades later, the Knights narrowly missed out on signing another Kiwi, this one a young tearaway prop from Manly who instead linked with the Sydney Roosters.

To this day, club officials involved in the negotiations believe an extra $10,000 may have been all that was needed to get the signature of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves over the line.

There are bucketfuls of other such near misses.

But then there are the players that got away or were let go that went on to achieve great things elsewhere.

With a nursery the size of Newcastle and the Hunter and the amount of money being spent on development, there has been no shortage of really good kids coming through the system.

The secret is in the identification and knowing which ones to keep.

Because, as one Knights official told us last week, given the money in the game and the fact only a handful of NRL clubs throw big resources at junior development, “we can’t expect to keep them all”.

Newcastle hasn’t always got it right in that department.

Money has been a major issue in the past but there has also been some poor recruiting decisions made that continue to haunt the club.

Here is a snapshot of the club’s big recruitment and retention blunders and why some big names who could have become Knights stars are either kicking goals at rival clubs or have in the past.

Latrell Mitchell

It may well go down as the biggest blunder in Knights recruitment history.

The Sydney Roosters star and soon-to-be Kangaroos centre from Taree trailed with the Knights’ Harold Matthews Cup side when he was 15 back in 2012.

He had already been in the club’s Chargers development squad but was inexplicably overlooked despite “trialing terrific”.

He ended up playing juniors on the Central Coast before being spotted by the Roosters.

“I was 15 but they had Brocky Lamb and I was up against him for the five-eighth spot,” Mitchell recalls.

“They didn’t pick me. Every time I go up to Newcastle, I think about it. It fires me up. I just love beating them.”

It was Wayne Bennett’s first year as head coach and Keith Onslow was on his way out as head of junior recruitment but he clearly remembers the trials.

“He trialed terrific in a number of positions but for whatever reason, wasn’t chosen,” Onslow said.

Boyd Cordner

The Sydney Roosters premiership-winning co-captain, ironically another Taree boy, played for two seasons with the Knights in the club’s Harold Matthews side.

But then the big spending Roosters came knocking.

Their recruitment boss at the time, Peter O’Sullivan believed Cordner was one of the best players in the game in his age group.

When it came time to sit down and talk money with Cordner's father Chris, the Knights knew they weren’t going to be in the Roosters’ ball-park.

“I remember sitting down with Chris at Wests Leagues Club and he showed me the Roosters’ three year offer. It was massive,”Onslow said.

Onslow did not reveal the figures but it’s understood Cordner’s Roosters offer was worth around $320,000 all up, a whooping $180,000 more than the Knights could come up with.

“Financially back then, the club struggled to compete,” Onslow said.

Josh Jackson

It was the current Canterbury Bulldogs skipper’s body shape and not money that cost the Knights his signature back in 2010.

Jackson moved to Newcastle with his parents Paul and Judy from Gulgong [near Mudgee] in 2007 to attend Newcastle university to begin a sports science degree.

He played S G Ball for the Knights in 2009 but his cards were marked by then top grade coach Brian Smith.

At the time, Smith’s recruitment philosophy centred around signing big, fast, athletic backrowers and was importing plenty of youngsters from New Zealand to fill the junior ranks.

Jackson didn’t fit the mould and when Bulldogs recruitment boss Peter Mulholland showed interest, he picked up Jackson “for a song”.

In his first season at the Bulldogs, he was their Under 20’s player of the year and went on to represent the Junior Kangaroos.

He has now played 152 NRL games for the Bulldogs and featured in nine Origin games for NSW and two Tests for Australia.

Not bad for a kid considered too small to make it.

Willie Mason

A giant of a man and a giant recruitment mistake.

While he would eventually get to wear his home town’s jumper at the back end of his career, how the tearaway Toronto forward was missed by the Knights when his career was kicking off is a mystery.

To make matters worse, the Knights ignored him not once but twice before he was forced to move to Sydney to further his career.

After missing junior selection for the Knights, Mason ended up signing for the Hunter Mariners in the Super League when he was 17.

But after the war ended and the breakaway competition folded at the end of 1997, the Knights, who were coming off a top grade ARL grand final triumph over Manly, had first crack at the Mariners players.

Mason was again overlooked and despite hating the thought of moving to Sydney, signed with the Bulldogs for 1998 and made his NRL debut two years later.

He won the Clive Churchill Medal for the player of the match in his side’s 2004 grand final win over the Sydney Roosters and finished his career with stints at the Roosters, Manly and North Queensland.

In all, he played 24 Tests and 13 Origin games.

Anthony Tupou

Tupou was another player the Knights lost because of the big dollars on offer elsewhere and again it was the Roosters who did the poaching.

The backrower, who was schooled at Francis Xavier College, was in the Knights’ system when he helped NSW Under 19’s knock over Queensland back in 2002.

He was a self-confessed over-weight forward and lacked discipline at the time but then Roosters coach Ricky Stuart and chief recruiter Artie Beetson watched him closely in the rep game and wanted him badly.

Former Knights chairman Michael Hill remembers losing Tupou.

“He was one of our best juniors but we couldn’t get near the Roosters three year deal so we lost him,” Hill said.

Luke Burt

Redhead surfer who was a Valentine junior and played Harold Matthews Cup for the Knights in 1997.

He played Australian Schoolboys the following year but by the time he did, he was already on the books of the Parramatta Eels.

Eels recruitment boss Noel Cleal had seen him play at a schoolboy carnival in Perth and signed him for the 1998 season, right from under the noses of the Knights.

Burt even remained in Newcastle to finish school in 08 with his father Dave driving him to Sydney a few times a week for training and games.

He scored 24 tries in S G Ball in his first season for the club.

Burt debuted for the Eels at the age of 17 and nine months in the opening game of the 1999 NRL season in front of 104,583 fans at the opening of the Olympic Stadium.

He went on to have a great career, playing 264 NRL games for Parramatta over 14 seasons.

Greg Inglis

The Knights can justifiably be accused of letting some big name players slip through the net over the years but Inglis isn’t one of them.

It is a myth the club erred in not signing him when he spent time at Hunter Sports High back in 2002.

Fact is Melbourne Storm already had him under contract when he was sent to Newcastle to attend high school by his parents.

The Storm recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan had already scouted the young Kempsey-born Inglis, seeing him play for Group 2 in a junior representative game in Smithtown the previous year when he was still only 14.

Inglis played for Hunter Sports in the Arrive Alive Cup before he was sent to Brisbane to attend Wavell High before linking with the Storm in 2005.

Some of these I knew about but some came out of the blue...Tana Umaga - wow!

Knight Vision

First Grade
Ennis, Greg Bird, Kimmorley ....the list goes on. It really is a shot in the dark as to if any go on with it. Injuries, women, drug n alcohol, fragile mental state, etc etc etc anything could pop up in a young persons life to prevent them from making it. We sure havent had much luck though

Yosh

Coach
Alot of them got away because we couldn't match the offers of other clubs... Will this stop happening now since we joined hands with Wests?

But Brock Lamb over Latrell?

slotmachine

First Grade
Well that article just sums up what I said somewhere else, cordner is really the only junior still running around that was outright poached.

Seeing as we stole ponga, we're probably ahead.

Back in the boom time some really good players had to leave to get regular first grade. Kimmorley, Ennis, John Morris etc.

I dont really regard Mitchell as a loss. By all reports he showed up to one trial and even if we did sign him with the struggles he had up until 18 months ago with attitude he would have likely bailed during the spoon years anyway.

Swarzey

Bench
I'm not sure why people are surprised we picked Lamb over Latrell. Lamb ended up having as successful of a junior career as you could have; made every rep team he possibly could, stood out in every one of those teams. Latrell also had a shit attitude, similar to Leilua's.

Hindsight is a tremendous thing.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not sure why people are surprised we picked Lamb over Latrell. Lamb ended up having as successful of a junior career as you could have; made every rep team he possibly could, stood out in every one of those teams. Latrell also had a shit attitude, similar to Leilua's.

Hindsight is a tremendous thing.
Mate Latrell got knocked back by us and made Nsw under 16s like 3 months later, and it's not like Mitchell could only play 5/8th. As for attitude, this is for a spot in the Harold Mats squad it a 6 figure contract, if you can't recognise a potential in a guy like Latrell Mitchell then you should not be a scout/junior coach.

Swarzey

Bench
Mate Latrell got knocked back by us and made Nsw under 16s like 3 months later, and it's not like Mitchell could only play 5/8th. As for attitude, this is for a spot in the Harold Mats squad it a 6 figure contract, if you can't recognise a potential in a guy like Latrell Mitchell then you should not be a scout/junior coach.

He trialed for five eight and lost out to two kids who went on to play in that NSW U16's team, played in the Australian Schoolboys and continued to hold every rep honour at junior level until they were thrown into first grade AND he likely wouldn't have trialed for any other position.

Try looking at it without hindsight.

aqua_duck

Coach
He trialed for five eight and lost out to two kids who went on to play in that NSW U16's team, played in the Australian Schoolboys and continued to hold every rep honour at junior level until they were thrown into first grade AND he likely wouldn't have trialed for any other position.

Try looking at it without hindsight.
So you're telling me that a kid with his size and atheleticm shouldn't have been considered for any other position?

Also it's not hindsight when Latrell literally made NSW under 16s like a few months later and its not like Latrell was a late bloomer, he made the same under 16s and Australian schoolboys teams that Lamb and Cogger made.

Swarzey

Bench
So you're telling me that a kid with his size and atheleticm shouldn't have been considered for any other position?

Also it's not hindsight when Latrell literally made NSW under 16s like a few months later and its not like Latrell was a late bloomer, he made the same under 16s and Australian schoolboys teams that Lamb and Cogger made.

Kids trial for a position and usually only have a day to impress. His attitude makes it pretty clear Mitchell was only trialing for 5/8. What's hard to understand about that?

Actually, it still is because if Lamb and/or Cogger kicked on and became tremendous first graders, nobody would be 'mystified' over Mitchell losing out to those two and would be celebrating the club for nurturing two good halves. Should Lamb and Cogger have been picked over Mitchell? Can you honestly say that without hindsight? If you can't, don't waste my time replying yeah?

aqua_duck

Coach
Kids trial for a position and usually only have a day to impress. His attitude makes it pretty clear Mitchell was only trialing for 5/8. What's hard to understand about that?

Actually, it still is because if Lamb and/or Cogger kicked on and became tremendous first graders, nobody would be 'mystified' over Mitchell losing out to those two and would be celebrating the club for nurturing two good halves. Should Lamb and Cogger have been picked over Mitchell? Can you honestly say that without hindsight? If you can't, don't waste my time replying yeah?
Mate why do you have to act like such a dick? Regardless of Cogger and Lamb Mitchell was an absolute monster in age footy, I mean if the structure of the trial is as you describe than its a bloody stupid system as most first graders don't even stay in the same position they play in juniors by the time they reach first grade, also you're telling me there wasn't a back up or utility spot available for someone of Latrell's size, speed and power? However you try to spin it, whether it's the way the system was set up or what have you its quite obvious we f**ked up by letting a someone of that ability slip through our net

slotmachine

First Grade
Of course it was a monumental f**k up.
They didn't like latrells attitude, any one could have seen his talent. His attitude still sucks at times, but he just won a grand final clowning Chambers, who is no slouch.

To me, it seems the knights have prioritised trying hard over other qualities in their juniors for a while.

Yosh

Coach
Of course it was a monumental f**k up.
They didn't like latrells attitude, any one could have seen his talent. His attitude still sucks at times, but he just won a grand final clowning Chambers, who is no slouch.

To me, it seems the knights have prioritised trying hard over other qualities in their juniors for a while.

Regan Tanner bro

I'd love to have Latrell in our team but even if we had have picked him up as a 16 year old does anyone think he would have stuck out the spoon years? By all reports he struggled with attitude when the roosters had a bad patch.

I remember roosters supporters wanting him punted at one point.