What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of the Codes

Timbo

Staff member
Timbo said:
The primary reason Perth went belly up was because they were:

a-Forced to field a reserve grade side

and

b-Agreed to pay for their opponents airfares to and from Perth

Go to Qantas.com and check what it costs to fly from Sydney to Perth. Then multiply in by 40 (two teams of players plus coaches and support staff) and the fact that they had a poor deal with the WACA for ground rental didn't help either.

Incidently I just did that. As these professional sportsmen fly business class these days, you're looking at about $60,000 EACH WAY.

That's $120,000 the Reds were up for every time they had a home game.

And people wonder why they struggled to make profit?

Sharkie™

Juniors
sharks v warriors last year in perth got a decent crowd of upwards of 12000 people....anyone got the offical crowd figures.

wittyfan

Referee
I clearly remember Gallop saying that there were no plans for any more new teams in the future, so it's interesting that the NRL have now changed their tune!

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Timbo said:
b-Agreed to pay for their opponents airfares to and from Perth

Go to Qantas.com and check what it costs to fly from Sydney to Perth. Then multiply in by 40 (two teams of players plus coaches and support staff) and the fact that they had a poor deal with the WACA for ground rental didn't help either.

what about the a-league players... players from perth have to travel around the nation and they earn much less than NRL players do

glockers

Juniors
Of course we have to go to Adelaide and Perth before another New South Wales side.

I would even say after we go Perth and Adelaide that we need to then go second Brisbane and Cairns.

Port Moresby and Wellington should also be looked at.

Angry_eel

First Grade
does the new teams mean that the season is gonna get longer. if yes then the players will scream for more money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could possibly mean that not all teams will play each other home and away there by keeping the fixtures at the same amount.

Perth Red

Post Whore
MES holds 18,000 and there are plans for a major upgrade of the stadium in the next couple of years taking it to 28,000 (possibly more if the Force keep drawing in big crowds and agree to move there)

The games last year drew approx 12,000 for the pre season and 14,000 for the regular season game. Interestingly they were two very different sets of fans from what I saw. At the first game was stacks of Sths and Bulldogs jerseys (most from many moons ago!) and at the second it was full of Kiwis.

A Perth team would hopefully bring all RL fans together plus some interested but bored Force fans plus a new generation eventually. Perth has the biggest influx of English migrants of any city with majority from the North of England.

Nuke

Staff member
This concept upsets some people, but in my mind, the obvious solution to the Central Coast problem is relocation. I firmly believe Souths are the team to move. If Rabbitohs fans are gonna start crying about it, then they should cast their minds back only a few years when they didn't even have a team. They should be thankful that they have their team to support. Souths would play pretty much every 2nd week in Sydney anyway, so they shouldn't complain about not being able to see them play.

I cannot wait for the day Perth is re-admitted into the NRL. Perth and Adelaide should never have been cut in the first place.

Personally, I find it difficult to understand how basketball, soccer, netball water-polo, ect can have national competitions, yet with all the money and exposure League has, it still is an Eastern seaboard competition (+ the Warriors).

If Perth gets re-admitted for 2010, I would like to see them having a name that reflects the previous endeavour, yet isn't a complete re-admission of the Western Reds. A name like the Perth Redbacks would be my suggestion.

I'm ranting on now. Off to bed for me!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stop stealing my name Nuke! The Redbacks was my idea! (Think the mascot might scare the children though!)

Timbo

Staff member
ozzy_ozman said:
what about the a-league players... players from perth have to travel around the nation and they earn much less than NRL players do

The Perth Glory don't have to pay the airfares for their opponents though.

t-ba

Post Whore
Isn't the WARL committed to getting WA NRL representation by 2010? methinks somebody has taken that for a little ride and turned into 'NRL commitment for a side by 2010'. It'd be awesome for WA to get back in though.

I think Adelaide's initial inclusion into SL was a big mistake, but the kicking out was an even bigger one.

Perth Red said:
Stop stealing my name Nuke! The Redbacks was my idea! (Think the mascot might scare the children though!)

imo, Norths should get involved with a WA bid. It's as clear as day the NRL wants nothing to do with a CC, so why not tie thier long and proud (if somewhat pathetic)? I reckon the Perth Grizzlies, in Red and Black, would be pretty awesome.

p.s: I've copped ALOT of sh*t from my fellow Manly fans for being a little too defensive of the Bears in the past, but my opinion has shifted from they should get a license on the CC to any representation is enough representation over the last year or so.

t-ba

Post Whore
Timbo said:
The Perth Glory don't have to pay the airfares for their opponents though.

Don't we have a commercial agreement with QANTAS these days anyway? If the NRL doesn't have a deal with an airline, they're pretty stupid!

Knightmare

Coach
Kingytek said:
Do we need to introduce 2 sides in 2010 so we dont have the bye...
1 from WA and the second? SA perhaps?

It would be better to admit a Perth team and the Central Coast Bears. The Central Coast has more juniors and larger projected population growth than Adelaide, and now that Souths have been privatised there is no way in hell they'll ever relocate.

Knightmare

Coach
wittyfan said:
I clearly remember Gallop saying that there were no plans for any more new teams in the future, so it's interesting that the NRL have now changed their tune!

Yeah but remember in 2004 the NRL gave the red light to further expansion saying the game wasn't in the right state to expand and that they'd wait at least a year before reconsidering. Not even a year later- bang- Gold Coast Titans are given the green light. Like it or not, the only way the NRL can save face is by finally letting the Bears achieve their goal, as well as giving the green light to Perth.

ali

Bench
The next new team should be from NZ. We need to give them another professional outlet so that their players don't have to continually move off shore to get a game. Furthermore it gives the Warriors a rival.

The Tank

Bench
I reckon we should go Wellington, Perth, Central Coast, Second Brisbane, Adelaide, then third NZ.

ledzep

Bench
If I was running the league:
2007 - GC
2008 - CC
2010 - Perth
2012 - 2nd NZ team and Adelaide

Thomas

First Grade
I had no idea that the Reds had to pay for their opponents airfares.

What a f**king stupid idea!!!!