What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBL going forward.

Timbo

Staff member
So the BBL is expanding from 8 to 10 games per team next season, with the extra home game likely to be played at a neutral venue so we will likely see BBL games in places like Canberra, The Gold Coast, Geelong etc. next year.

Each passing year it seems like fans are caring less and less about the bilateral ODI series. As a player you have to wonder too - would they rather be thrashing Pakistan in front of 12,000 people in an ODI, or playing in a Strikers-Heat game at the Adelaide Oval in front of 50,000?

The league will surely add more teams inside of the next decade, especially if crowds at these neutral games are strong in the next few years. How long until the BBL gets a dedicated window so that the best players can play in it for most of the season?

Bazal

Post Whore
Pretty shortly I would think. And rightfully so, regardless of your opinion on T20 cricket either way....at the end of the day it's a huge money spinner, but importantly there is absolutely no doubt it's getting kids involved in cricket and is very successful at generating grass roots interest.

Where that leaves ODI cricket I'm not sure...maybe start the season with it, I dunno. ODIs, Tests, BBL, Tests again if we have two series...? Although finishing with the BBL might make sense.

I suppose the big issue is school holidays, which the BBL makes good use of

some11

Referee
Each passing year it seems like fans are caring less and less about the bilateral ODI series. As a player you have to wonder too - would they rather be thrashing Pakistan in front of 12,000 people in an ODI, or playing in a Strikers-Heat game at the Adelaide Oval in front of 50,000?

Well for starters a 5 ODI series is too long, especially when those games are so one-sided.

I loved the Tri-Series, shame the neutral games killed it off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
With Sutherland's love for the dollar I think this will happen and unfortunately it will be at the cost of test cricket and we'll play most of our games away as CA dont seem to give a shit about test cricket anymore.

axl rose

Bench

Interesting. How long till these Big Bash guys start asking for a massive pay rise.

Last edited:

TIGER14

Bench
How long until the BBL gets a dedicated window so that the best players can play in it for most of the season?

Has to happen as soon as possible.
For the Big Bash to reach it's potential we have to have the best players playing.
In all honesty, it makes the comp look a bit amateur having so many Australian players unavailable.

Problem is, where does it fit in...
Domestically, I don't think we should change the Shield season too much. I also think there should always be a NYE Big Bash game.

As it is the Matador final was on the 23rd of October and the first Shield game was on the 25th. It's a fair task fitting it all in. Something will have to give.

TheParraboy

Staff member
With Sutherland's love for the dollar I think this will happen and unfortunately it will be at the cost of test cricket and we'll play most of our games away as CA dont seem to give a shit about test cricket anymore.

Money talks bullshit walks. Put yourself in his shoes

Who would do different? If anything Australia was a little slow to embrace this cash cow that is t20.

I have a mate who despises t20 in the sense that he bags the crap out of it when we talk cricket, but over the last 5 years he has been to 6 t20 games (4 bbl, 2 internationals), zero days at test cricket. Says it all.

In regards to test cricket. The ashes will survive for a long while yet, and we have built a good rivalry with India, I guess as long as they are thumping us over there then test cricket is alive and well in their eyes lol. We will also have regular rivalry with SA, But everyone else we eventually will probably play less and less test cricket with as the decade(s) unfold

TheParraboy

Staff member
Interesting. How long till these Big Bash guys start asking for a massive pay rise.

More worrying, the younger guys coming thorough that are potentially good but unproven, pay them peanuts compared to a given a marquee players ludicrous amounts of coin (though you would pay a good amount for the calibre of chris lynn or a Jacque kallis)

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This season dragged on a bit for me, if more games had to be added I would have preferred them to be because of a couple of new franchises.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more international players come out but it's probably not possible due to schedules and $$$

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Money talks bullshit walks. Put yourself in his shoes

Who would do different? If anything Australia was a little slow to embrace this cash cow that is t20.

I have a mate who despises t20 in the sense that he bags the crap out of it when we talk cricket, but over the last 5 years he has been to 6 t20 games (4 bbl, 2 internationals), zero days at test cricket. Says it all.

In regards to test cricket. The ashes will survive for a long while yet, and we have built a good rivalry with India, I guess as long as they are thumping us over there then test cricket is alive and well in their eyes lol. We will also have regular rivalry with SA, But everyone else we eventually will probably play less and less test cricket with as the decade(s) unfold

Well I would do it differently, play it at the end of the season and there is more to test cricket than the ashes.

Once upon a time we had no T20 cricket and everything was fine and it never interrupted our test match preparations.

TIGER14

Bench
Sixers are keeping their extra game at the SCG

5 HOME GAMES AT THE SCG IN BBL|07 AND WBBL|02
The Sydney Sixers are very excited about the expansion of home matches for BBL|07 and are thrilled to confirm a fifth match at the Sydney Cricket Ground next season.

The strategy for the fifth match is to take the Big Bash League to new markets and the Sixers look forward to working with Cricket Australia and the SCG Trust to achieve this outcome in the future.

http://www.sydneysixers.com.au/news/5-home-games-at-the-scg-in-bbl07/2017-01-30

Timbo

Staff member
Sixers are keeping their extra game at the SCG

5 HOME GAMES AT THE SCG IN BBL|07 AND WBBL|02
The Sydney Sixers are very excited about the expansion of home matches for BBL|07 and are thrilled to confirm a fifth match at the Sydney Cricket Ground next season.

The strategy for the fifth match is to take the Big Bash League to new markets and the Sixers look forward to working with Cricket Australia and the SCG Trust to achieve this outcome in the future.

http://www.sydneysixers.com.au/news/5-home-games-at-the-scg-in-bbl07/2017-01-30

That's a bit of a contradictory statement isn't it? The fifth match is meant to be in a new market, but the Sixers will be playing it at the SCG?

Barkley

Bench
That's a bit of a contradictory statement isn't it? The fifth match is meant to be in a new market, but the Sixers will be playing it at the SCG?

I think this shows how serious teams are taking the BBL now. It used to be a hit and giggle with some ex stars. Now teams aren't willing to expand the game by giving up one home game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ideally you would want 3 more teams total of 11 teams.

Play 10 rounds one against each team. 2 year rotation, of home and away.

4 make the finals, 1(H) V 4 (A), 2(H) V 3(A).

Highest winner gets the home final.

Pretty Simple, makes every game count.

North Island NZ playing at different venues

South Island NZ the same

Darwin or Cairns, maybe Northern Australia, shared 3 and 2 there is money to be made.....

Barkley

Bench
I would be cautious adding more teams, it would dilute the quality of the competition significantly or the BBL would rely on more foreign players. Perhaps adding a team from NZ could be an option.

An alternative could be a multiple finals format. Semis and finals are a best of three format. Few Aussie sports have had the opportunity to adopt this in the past.

TIGER14

Bench
Ideally you would want 3 more teams total of 11 teams.

Play 10 rounds one against each team. 2 year rotation, of home and away.

4 make the finals, 1(H) V 4 (A), 2(H) V 3(A).

Highest winner gets the home final.

Pretty Simple, makes every game count.

North Island NZ playing at different venues

South Island NZ the same

Darwin or Cairns, maybe Northern Australia, shared 3 and 2 there is money to be made.....

Canberra are a must, I think a North QLD team should next after that.
Eventually expanding into NZ should be a long term goal.

Timbo

Staff member
I think NQ is highly unlikely due to the frequency of summer storms.

Canberra, the GC and Geelong seem the likely ones given they already have AFL stadiums which you could drop a pitch in at.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Well I would do it differently, play it at the end of the season and there is more to test cricket than the ashes.

Once upon a time we had no T20 cricket and everything was fine and it never interrupted our test match preparations.

once upon a time it wasn't the massive cash cow it is now

You play it at the end of the season and revenue and attendance drop by a lot as kiddies back at school. They wont be doing that. They have marketed the bbl really well for families during the festive season, crowds have been insane.

2 weeks

Coach
I would hold off expansion on the BBL

I doubt the comp has the depth of talent needed for expansion at the moment

I'm in the "if it 'ain't broke" camp