What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears / Manly whinging

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I may be open minded enough to contemplate a club like the Roosters losing it's origins/fabric? Complying to these weak thoughts I've thought of a suitable relocation name for the club into the futute; East Coast Roosters. That may work as they can have a generic name that will comply to many coastal areas throughout Australia's east coast. Just an idea for the weakening the code lobbyist! May even work! Lol

You are happy for the bears to go up there though.......

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How about you start to respect history and established supporter bases that have been ripped off by a flawed agreement in 1997!?

The bears weren't removed following the SL war. They played the 1998 season. They chose to merge with Manly as they were having financial troubles, then they went broke altogether.

Stallion

First Grade
You are happy for the bears to go up there though.......

Only in that context. I think the best outcome for rugby league would be the Central Coast Bears with strong links to North Sydney. Along with Manly Warringah playing out of a refurbished Brookvale oval. I believe a 20 team comp is not so far-away. After all it was shafted by superleague twenty years ago. Rugby league deserves and can easily sustain this number. Perhaps more clubs into the future. But that's a long time away from the current scenario.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The bears weren't removed following the SL war. They played the 1998 season. They chose to merge with Manly as they were having financial troubles, then they went broke altogether.

Oh no. That's not accurate. As a result of a flawed superleague agreement that insisted on the reduction of 22 teams to 14 teams gave rise to some drastic and poor outcomes (mergers/club exits)from.top flight rugby league. The superleague agreement was the catalyst of this disaster for rugby league. (for which the code is still hurting from )

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Oh no. That's not accurate. As a result of a flawed superleague agreement that insisted on the reduction of 22 teams to 14 teams gave rise to some drastic and poor outcomes (mergers/club exits)from.top flight rugby league. The superleague agreement was the catalyst of this disaster for rugby league. (for which the code is still hurting from )

The bears had every opportunity to be one of the 14 but they weren't financially viable and firstly merged then folded. Souths also showed that 14 wasn't a legally binding number and got back in. Norths also had this avenue available to them but didn't pursue it because they weren't financially viable.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Only in that context. I think the best outcome for rugby league would be the Central Coast Bears with strong links to North Sydney. Along with Manly Warringah playing out of a refurbished Brookvale oval. I believe a 20 team comp is not so far-away. After all it was shafted by superleague twenth years ago. Rugby league deserves and can easily sustain this number. Perhaps more into the future. But that's a long time away from the current scenario.

Your 20 includes all current NRL teams plus:

CC Bears
Brisbane 2
NZ 2
Perth

You have left no room for Adelaide in the longer-term future which is the 5th biggest market and crucial if we are going to be a national game.

Perth Red

Post Whore

CC Bears
Brisbane 2
NZ 2
Perth

You have left no room for Adelaide in the longer-term future which is the 5th biggest market and crucial if we are going to be a national game.

Replace CC for Adelaide and you have the NRL line up for next 2 decades. Its just a shame that it is going to take us at least 2 decades to get that line up!
CC needs to be reserved for a Sydney relocation.

Stallion

First Grade
The bears had every opportunity to be one of the 14 but they weren't financially viable and firstly merged then folded. Souths also showed that 14 wasn't a legally binding number and got back in. Norths also had this avenue available to them but didn't pursue it because they weren't financially viable.

Nope
A flawed and loaded criteria along with a proven incorrect number( which has since been forced by common sense to 16) was the feature of the "peace" outcome. You seem to think the superleague fiasco had created good outcomes for the code. This is not so. It cheapened and disrespected the code. Promoted a lack/reduction of general public faith in the NRL. It was disastrous . Mind you it helped union and AFL bigtime!

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
the Bears weren't kicked out you clown !!
they survived

look up the history of the Nthn Eagles & stop posting crap from one end of these forums to the other

Stallion

First Grade
the Bears weren't kicked out you clown !!
they survived

look up the history of the Nthn Eagles & stop posting crap from one end of these forums to the other

You are the clown if you honestly think no top.flight presence is not being kicked out. It's first grade or no grade in the eyes of most fans! That's the way it is in Australia. Like it or not.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You are the clown if you honestly think no top.flight presence is not being kicked out. It's first grade or no grade in the eyes of most fans! That's the way it is in Australia. Like it or not.

you said they were kicked out in the superleague agreement

is that correct or not ??

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
you said they were kicked out in the superleague agreement

is that correct or not ??

Quite right RD they chose to merge after the SL war because they were cash strapped. They then went broke altogether and manly were the sole survivor of the merge and reverted to the sea eagles. Stallion won't admit that these are the actual facts behind the bear's demise.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Replace CC for Adelaide and you have the NRL line up for next 2 decades. Its just a shame that it is going to take us at least 2 decades to get that line up!
CC needs to be reserved for a Sydney relocation.

I agree - stallion thinks the CC is a more valuable market than Adelaide for an additional licence. I'm more than happy for a team to be based there but it must be an existing club either choosing to go or the NRL moving a failed club there. This leaves four spots open for Adelaide, Perth, Bris 2 and NZ 2 over the next 10 to 15 years

Stallion

First Grade

CC Bears
Brisbane 2
NZ 2
Perth

If you read I have left room in the long term for additional clubs. I would suggest Adelaide will take some time having little or no juniors or genuine interest atm.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion, you have your own thread to moan about the bears - lol

Not so much the Bears. It's the total ignorance of the damage the reckless ideas are perpetuating that I'm concerned with. The poor Bears are only part of this fiasco you people are manouvering for. Ultimately it's the undoing of this great code in Sydney that is at stake. On top of the credibility slump the competition has and will continue to suffer.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If you read I have left room in the long term for additional clubs. I would suggest Adelaide will take some time having little or no juniors or genuine interest atm.

Where is the room? Just adding a 21st team you mean? lol the NRL is reluctant to go to 18 let alone 21.

t-ba

Post Whore

Sorry that is just not accurate.

The Bears were in administration at the time, largely because the NS Leagues club was having argument with the football cluv and wouldn't tip in the extra funding. Since the administrator was a temporart measure and nothing explicitly stating this as excluding the club from the admission criteria, the Leagues club was just attempting to get the football club more pliable to their demands. Not a matter of being viable at all. As it is the NRL saw an easy out as it meant thet didn't have to punt Penrith. If the Leagues club had known this would happen they probably would have tipped in the cash.

The administrator forced the merger with the Eagles. The football club had no say in the matter.

1999 was a simply horrible year for the Bears. The stadium got delayed and they were homeless for most of the season.

When the bears came out of administration they were a merged entity against their will. Both the Leagues and football club tried their best to bury the JV and Manly, and almost succeeded.

For a bit if hindsight the Dragons, Knights and Titans would have all found themselves in similar situations this decade if the NRL didn't step in and assume control of those clubs. The Warriors went to the wall in a far worse manner about 11 months after the Bears. The Bears just had terrible timing.

Their ship has definitely sailed and I don't think they should be back in the comp but please learn a bit about the situation.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sorry that is just not accurate.

The Bears were in administration at the time, largely because the NS Leagues club was having argument with the football cluv and wouldn't tip in the extra funding. Since the administrator was a temporart measure and nothing explicitly stating this as excluding the club from the admission criteria, the Leagues club was just attempting to get the football club more pliable to their demands. Not a matter of being viable at all. As it is the NRL saw an easy out as it meant thet didn't have to punt Penrith. If the Leagues club had known this would happen they probably would have tipped in the cash.

The administrator forced the merger with the Eagles. The football club had no say in the matter.

1999 was a simply horrible year for the Bears. The stadium got delayed and they were homeless for most of the season.

When the bears came out of administration they were a merged entity against their will. Both the Leagues and football club tried their best to bury the JV and Manly, and almost succeeded.

For a bit if hindsight the Dragons, Knights and Titans would have all found themselves in similar situations this decade if the NRL didn't step in and assume control of those clubs. The Warriors went to the wall in a far worse manner about 11 months after the Bears. The Bears just had terrible timing.

Their ship has definitely sailed and I don't think they should be back in the comp but please learn a bit about the situation.

So why did the Northern Eagles revert to Manly in 2003?

Latest posts