What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy is wrong!

Bezant

Juniors
I have not done this very often and don't expect to again as I have great respect for the man and what he has done for the Storm but Bellamy has come out saying that union has got it right and rugby league wrong in relation to the crocker/gregan tackles on the weekend.

No way! Seeing both the tackles I thought the Gregan one was worse and that getting just 1 week is plainly sending out the wrong message. When it come to dangerous play no quarter should be given, even if that means our club wasting thousands of dollars as a consequence. Sure things go wrong on the field and there was no intent but that is a poor justification for going easy on actions that could potentially paralise players. There is no place for careless or dangerous play in our game and if we want even greater media coverage and junior participation then we need to keep sending out a strong message that we wont accept it. Sorry Craig but your wrong on this one.

Keep up the great work with the team though. your working your magic with them once again this year.:D:D

Karl deKroo said:
Angry coach says Crocker victimised
09may06

A FURIOUS Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy last night claimed Michael Crocker had been crucified for past sins as the rugged back-rower faced the prospect of a 12-match ban.

"I can't believe it," Bellamy said. "They (the NRL judiciary) see Michael Crocker as a bad bastard and they were just waiting for him to fall."

Crocker received a grade-four charge for his lifting tackle on South Sydney lock Shane Rigon on Saturday night.

The charge carries a base penalty of 725 demerit points (seven matches). But loadings from previous charges will blow the suspension out to a minimum of nine matches.

Should Crocker elect to fight the charge at the judiciary in Sydney tomorrow night and be unsuccessful, he would be out for 12 matches.

In a major blow for the Queensland enforcer, the ban is also set to rule him out of the entire State-of-Origin series.

"They are trying to rub him out for half a season for what was nothing more than a tackle gone wrong," Bellamy said.

"It was an accident. He hit and lifted, which was great technique, but as he's lifted Shane's gone up and went to twist to off-load the footy.

"Michael realised late that he was in a bad position, he let go. No one goes out to hurt anyone -- they're good mates."

Crocker was told by Storm not to comment yesterday as it summed up its options.

Storm officials pored over footage of similar tackles and have also requested vision of a tackle made by Wallabies captain George Gregan in a Super 14 rugby union match on Saturday night. Gregan was yesterday suspended for one match.

Storm will make a decision today on whether to contest the charge, but the risk of an extra three-match ban would appear too great.

Queensland selectors have pleaded with Storm to contest the grading of the charge.

"I just thought he got him in the wrong position. It was a good tackle gone wrong," Queensland selector Des Morris said. "It was an accidental thing. He didn't intentionally spear-tackle the player. He lost control."

Crocker's past judiciary record is poor, but he has been a model citizen since joining Melbourne from the Sydney Roosters.

"It has been very refreshing to get out of Sydney," Crocker told the Herald Sun last week.

"I have been a lot more relaxed and I think it shows in how I've played. I think people have had it in for me a bit in the past, but I guess I gave them plenty of ammunition. I've looked to change that."

Crocker was also sin-binned for 10 minutes on Saturday night for being third man into a fight. But video footage showed Crocker was trying to separate Storm's Ryan Hoffman and Rabbitoh Jaiman Lowe.

"I just think it's ridiculous," Bellamy said. "Everyone's making out that Michael Crocker's back to his bad old ways, the bad old days."

Bellamy called for touch judges Paul Holland and David Abood to be sacked after their reports led to Crocker's sin-binning.

"Everyone agrees it was a ridiculous decision," he said.

Storm has lost its only two matches without Crocker this season and has an unbeaten record with the powerful forward in the side.

"He's going to be a huge loss for Melbourne, but he's going to be a huge loss for Queensland, too," Bellamy said.

:(.

LESStar58

Referee
That article says it all. Crocker is being punished for an accident and nothing more. I'm having shades of that suspsension that Mooks got in 1999....and we went on to win the comp.

Crocker is gonna be filthy by the time he gets back that I think he'll take it up a notch!

shadow grinder

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
That article says it all. Crocker is being punished for an accident and nothing more. I'm having shades of that suspsension that Mooks got in 1999....and we went on to win the comp.

Crocker is gonna be filthy by the time he gets back that I think he'll take it up a notch!

speaking of mooks...he is looking fit. what ya reckon chances of him throwing on a jersey to cover the loss of crocker? :lol:

Surandy

Bench
kia ora storm said:
Crocker got sentenced on reputation and it pees me off to see that happen.

He might have been sentenced on reputation, but he was charged on what he did.

Surandy said:
He might have been sentenced on reputation, but he was charged on what he did.

I am not disputing the charge...it is the stupidity of the grading and suspension that pees me off :evil:

riccardo

Juniors
I think after 7 weeks to Billy and 9 to Crocker is it an obvious Sydney centric anti-Melbourne bias. The Big League had all the commentators smugly announcing Crockers worthlessness and the "inveitable" big controversy he seems to bring with him. Funny, I thought he was doing marvellously until his season was hijacked by a Sydney competition with egg squarely on its face.

Oh well, we answered in the best way possible on Saturday night. Lets keep in going.

LESStar58

Referee
The words "Michael Crocker" and "worthless" do not belong together in the same sentence. he was playing brilliant football cos someone was prepared to give him a chance and a sense of belonging to a club.

he should have been able to appeal the grading without the danger of the extra weeks suspension. I think the AFl do it like that...

Speaking of which, this was in the Australian last week! Fair dinkum, I can't beleive Patrick Smith is writing a balanced article for once!

Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19093904-12270,00.html

Terminal 'ignorosis' tends towards poor sportsmanship
COMMENT
Patrick Smith
May 11, 2006
THERE must be a term for it. A label. Something that identifies the condition. Maybe we should call it 'ignorosis'. Might just be the word to describe the feeling club officials, players and supporters get when they feel all their good work, all their goodwill has come to naught. Ignored.
It describes aptly the Fremantle cretins who booed Chris Judd when he was named medal winner in the Dockers-West Coast derby at Subiaco last Saturday.

Melbourne Storm is showing early symptoms. The condition is not full blown but an early diagnosis suggests plenty of bed rest is required. The club - from top to bottom - has criticised the NRL decision to ban second-rower Michael Crocker for nine weeks after he dumped Rabbitoh Shane Rigon on his head last round.

Chief executive Brian Waldron says it is pointless taking his case to the judiciary because it won't change the decision, no matter how good the evidence presented. Crocker thinks that, had he not been a Queenslander on the eve of State of Origin, he may have been treated more leniently, while coach Craig Bellamy is convinced the game's judiciary has been stalking his player.

Add all this up and Melbourne must think the NRL is a lot of vindictive dills. That is not the case and Waldron was determined to note that all the judiciary were people of integrity. Just that his man got a bum decision.

Waldron's version is not shared by many others in the NRL. Crocker had form, the tackle was dangerous and his record multiplied the penalty out to 12 weeks. A guilty plea reduced it back to nine weeks. In the end, Waldron decided the risk would be too great if he took it to the judiciary. Crocker's penalty would default to 12 weeks, if he failed to make his case.

There is more to this than Crocker. Waldron and the Storm reckon that they are mostly ignored in the NRL. No matter that they are second on the ladder. He also claims that the NRL and ARL have no enthusiasm to spread the league gospel in Victoria. The club, in the eyes of the heavies up north, is more outhouse than outpost.

He has more sympathy on that point than he does defending the recidivist Crocker. The chief executive points out that Melbourne has been given just two opportunities out of a possible 160 to appear on Sunday free-to-air broadcasts. The Cowboys had a similar beef two years ago. They now get a fair whack of the prime-time market but only after they began winning a slab of matches. Channel Nine always has an eye to the ratings and not rantings.

This change in scheduling for the Cowboys would suggest that, when you are not in that bubble of popular Sydney clubs, then being good does not cut it. You must be great. The Cowboys meet the Storm in an appetising top of the ladder confrontation this Saturday at Olympic Park. According to the Channel Nine formula, great meets good.

Waldron's argument that the Storm has been abandoned is hardly without merit. The ARL-NRL does not have the zeal of the AFL to take their game across the nation. It is only this year - and it is through government funding - that the Storm has money to spread the gospel. It has raised $23million to advance the cause over three years.

The league heavies have committed to one State of Origin match this year and a Test match. More are planned. A new stadium will be online soon enough and that will become the Storm's home. The NRL's only commitment has been to schedule Storm games there. Melbourne is a sophisticated sports city. Its major games are played in the very best stadiums. At times rugby league has looked as run down as Olympic Park, its present home ground.

The league's tribunal system, while not as flawed as the one used by the AFL, has done Crocker no favours. It is excessive and unfair that Crocker must risk a further three-game penalty to put his case. As in the AFL, the NRL dares you to prove your innocence. It is a sop to convenience and a snub to justice.

The Storm argues that it was burnt when officials took Billy Slater's kicking case to the tribunal this year. The still-miffed chief executive said the Slater presentation convinced the Storm the NRL had a ridiculous system. And the Crocker case does show it has manifest shortcomings.

If the AFL and league judiciary systems are defective - Essendon's Dustin Fletcher was only reprimanded after being found guilty this week of his fourth tripping charge - then rugby union's is shameful. If union wants to run a world competition, then it should do it to world's best practice. Brumbies halfback George Gregan's one match ban for his dangerous throw has left the sport open to ridicule. It appears the Super 14 does not care for the health and safety of its players.

'Ignorosis' is often eased by drawing attention to your plight. That is what the Storm has done on several fronts. No doubt the club feels better for it and can take solace that the sporting world is aware that, on one level at least, the Storm is being roughly treated. Waldron's angst was not wasted.

Fremantle's dose of 'ignorosis', though, may be terminal. E-mails this week have defended the booing of Judd. The reasons have been varied and vapid. The crowd was not booing Judd but the decision of the judges; that Glendinning spelt his first name Ross; no-one takes Fremantle seriously; that Judd walked to the microphone; that the judges were drunk; that the media hated Fremantle; everybody hated Freo; this was the making of Freo; it was a Scientology conspiracy; Damian Drum should have got the medal; it was a cooler day than expected; Judd had it coming (well, not the medal); lots of other people are bad sports; their golden retriever drools.

Compelling e-mails all of them. Fremantle supporters at Subiaco, fundamentally and loudly, have proved from Saturday to this morning to be the very worst of sports.

riccardo

Juniors
Just look at the writer.

Partick Smith is the biggest moron in the history of newspaper writing, that he hasn't been run out of town yet is likley due to the fact that The Australian has a readership of about 6.

Crocker rules, with a premiership medal around his neck at the end of the season, the peanut gallery will shut up fast.

Surandy

Bench
riccardo said:
Just look at the writer.

Partick Smith is the biggest moron in the history of newspaper writing, that he hasn't been run out of town yet is likley due to the fact that The Australian has a readership of about 6.

Crocker rules, with a premiership medal around his neck at the end of the season, the peanut gallery will shut up fast.

Nope, they'll keep on whinging and complaining and bitching and moaning. Case in point: Ray.