What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Barba

Dazzat

First Grade
Why??????????????

The guy isn't even a 5/8. He plays Fullback for the 20's!

This year is like last year in reverse. Last year we had a 5/8 playing fullback - Corey Norman - and it didn't end well.

This year we have a fullback playing 5/8 - and guess what? It isn't working coach!

Griffin is incapable of learning from his mistakes it seems.

Barba's poor form is partly due to the crazy half combination, and partly his attitude. The fact that he is constantly dropping bombs is NOT because of confidence, but lack of commitment and putting his body on the line. Personally I think Barba needs to be dropped as soon as possible to the Queensland Cup. I don't think things will change before he is.x

Kodi is a 5/8 and played there in the trials without being outstanding, but did enough he can develop with time (something Griffin doesn't seem to give players who are coming through).

Bretto

Bench
Kodi played 1 game at 5/8 in the trails, but doesn't play there for the under 20's. He plays Fullback. He is not a natural 5/8, he is not the answer and he should not be brought in to play 5/8. His natural game is much like Hoffman - run first, look to pass, then concede in the tackle.

Dazzat

First Grade
Then why did Griffin trial him at 5/8? Desperation I guess. Kodi is listed in the team profiles as either a fullback of "halves", while Kahu is listed as a fullback.

Kahu is due back in one or two weeks - maybe he'll be the answer. If not, Griffin has some tough decisions to make. Bring in Strasser? Cullen? Pai-aua? Anyone except Hoffman at No. 6.

Bretto

Bench
Then why did Griffin trial him at 5/8? Desperation I guess. Kodi is listed in the team profiles as either a fullback of "halves", while Kahu is listed as a fullback.

Kahu is due back in one or two weeks - maybe he'll be the answer. If not, Griffin has some tough decisions to make. Bring in Strasser? Cullen? Pai-aua? Anyone except Hoffman at No. 6.

Who knows why Griffin trailed Kodi in the #6. Why does Griffin play Hoffman at #6?????

Duncan P. is about the closest to being ready from all reports, but I don't see it happening. Griffin will pick the exact same team for next week.

He's never going to achieve the same form he had in 2012. One year wonder. It amazes me how hard clubs chase players like Barba who is yet to string two quality seasons together.

Because nineteen out of twenty who have one great debut season kick on and have a second and third and great career. Barba is that one that doesnt.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Griffin doesn't make tough decisions.

Tayjack

Juniors
Because nineteen out of twenty who have one great debut season kick on and have a second and third and great career. Barba is that one that doesnt.

What absolute dribble this is, 19 out of 20 that have a season like that- never kick on, what the hell have u been watching, I bet u can't even name 1, that had ever kicked on after a season like that , there is not 1.

Spot On

Coach
What absolute dribble this is, 19 out of 20 that have a season like that- never kick on, what the hell have u been watching, I bet u can't even name 1, that had ever kicked on after a season like that , there is not 1.

He might be saying that only one player out of a lot can continue to play at the level he showed the year he won the Dally M. I have to agree somewhat. It's very rare to play at the level he did that year, year after year. He was untouchable. It was as if he had spiders on him. He couldn't be tackled. Scored tries from anywhere and even caught the high ball. He benefited a lot from the illegal play the Dogs used to score a lot of tries that year though.

He'd be an immortal before he finished his career if he could play like that every year. He'd win the Dally M every year.

ouwet

Bench
He might be saying that only one player out of a lot can continue to play at the level he showed the year he won the Dally M. I have to agree somewhat. It's very rare to play at the level he did that year, year after year. He was untouchable. It was as if he had spiders on him. He couldn't be tackled. Scored tries from anywhere and even caught the high ball. He benefited a lot from the illegal play the Dogs used to score a lot of tries that year though.

He'd be an immortal before he finished his career if he could play like that every year. He'd win the Dally M every year.

:lol::lol: yeah ok!

Anyways on Barba he has clearly lost a bit of acceleration off the mark... Without that acceleration, he has nothing!

Spot On

Coach
:lol::lol: yeah ok!

Anyways on Barba he has clearly lost a bit of acceleration off the mark... Without that acceleration, he has nothing!

And why didn't they use it last year or this year? Why not score off that play twice a week every week???

MarkC

Juniors
Ben Barba is really similar to Matty Bowen .. both are small blokes who will struggle under the high ball from time-to-time.

At the moment it is just that opposition teams have worked him out and are getting plenty of opportunity to launch bomb's in the Bronco's 20.

When he gets are dry track and room to move he may do more damage.

Having said that The Bronco's would have been better off keeping Corey Norman especially as they have signed Milford ... Milford looks the better player to me .. so I expect him to play next year at fullback.

The other factor is it sometimes takes a while for a "star" player to find his feet at a new club. Blair has finally come good for the Tigers and T-Rex is going much better this year at the dogs.

But my impression is the Bronco's expectations of Barba are higher than he will ever be able to deliver. He may not get back to 2012 form, but he can still be a good player in the right team set-up and with the right attitude. I'm not sure going to the Bronco's was a good decision.

Spot On

Coach
Ben Barba is really similar to Matty Bowen .. both are small blokes who will struggle under the high ball from time-to-time.

At the moment it is just that opposition teams have worked him out and are getting plenty of opportunity to launch bomb's in the Bronco's 20.

When he gets are dry track and room to move he may do more damage.

Having said that The Bronco's would have been better off keeping Corey Norman especially as they have signed Milford ... Milford looks the better player to me .. so I expect him to play next year at fullback.

The other factor is it sometimes takes a while for a "star" player to find his feet at a new club. Blair has finally come good for the Tigers and T-Rex is going much better this year at the dogs.

But my impression is the Bronco's expectations of Barba are higher than he will ever be able to deliver. He may not get back to 2012 form, but he can still be a good player in the right team set-up and with the right attitude. I'm not sure going to the Bronco's was a good decision.

These blokes have had years to "come good." Not sure I would class them as star players. Star players play well when the team isn't. Neither of those two can lay claim to doing that.

ouwet

Bench
And why didn't they use it last year or this year? Why not score off that play twice a week every week???

We did use it last year... Other teams were ready for it though and defended it better! Watch our games this year, we are still using it, just with more variety.

Spot On

Coach
We did use it last year... Other teams were ready for it though and defended it better! Watch our games this year, we are still using it, just with more variety.

All teams use it they just can't take an advantage like the Dogs did a few seasons back anymore.

ek999

First Grade

We did use it last year but the play relied on the speed of both Keating and Barba getting outside their men, and Barba to be able to get outside of Pritchard before he caught the ball, for it to work effectively. Didn't have Keating for most of last year (and Barba for a good chunk of it) and don't have either this year

Latest posts