What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Barba

Joker's Wild

Coach
Ben Barba is really similar to Matty Bowen .. both are small blokes who will struggle under the high ball from time-to-time.

At the moment it is just that opposition teams have worked him out and are getting plenty of opportunity to launch bomb's in the Bronco's 20.

When he gets are dry track and room to move he may do more damage.

Having said that The Bronco's would have been better off keeping Corey Norman especially as they have signed Milford ... Milford looks the better player to me .. so I expect him to play next year at fullback.

The other factor is it sometimes takes a while for a "star" player to find his feet at a new club. Blair has finally come good for the Tigers and T-Rex is going much better this year at the dogs.

But my impression is the Bronco's expectations of Barba are higher than he will ever be able to deliver. He may not get back to 2012 form, but he can still be a good player in the right team set-up and with the right attitude. I'm not sure going to the Bronco's was a good decision.

I hope you are not drawing a line between small players and a lack of ability to catch a ball

Fair enough they can get out jumped by taller blokes but dropping sitters when no one is near you there is just no excuse for.

BennyV

Referee
We did use it last year but the play relied on the speed of both Keating and Barba getting outside their men, and Barba to be able to get outside of Pritchard before he caught the ball, for it to work effectively. Didn't have Keating for most of last year (and Barba for a good chunk of it) and don't have either this year

Right..."before" ;-)

Jason Maher

Immortal
I hope you are not drawing a line between small players and a lack of ability to catch a ball

Fair enough they can get out jumped by taller blokes but dropping sitters when no one is near you there is just no excuse for.

To be fair, I can't recall Barba dropping any sitters against the Tits. The one he dropped in the first half was one of those swirling bombs where picking where the ball will drop is difficult. The one in the second half was a one on one strip. His real issue was he lost confidence after dopping a difficult kick and started letting balls bounce that he could have easily caught.

MarkC

Juniors

What I am saying is small blokes can get out jumped or bumped out of the way.

Or they can be driven back into the in goal after catching the ball.

I saw one game in the NYC where Barba caught bomb after bomb only to be smashed back into the in goal each time. It is an obvious tactic against him and a real test of his character.

If Barba is dropping sitters is is probably a mental issue as much as anything ... but it will never be easy for him to catch bombs particularly in the wet.

Billythekid

First Grade
Barba is playing like dog sh*t and i think he is and was over rated but i think he will turn things around. Will have to wait and see but i think some people could end up looking pretty stupid for their comments.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I dunno, Barba may very well struggle again this weekend, but if Griffin isn't completely braindead, I know what the majority of Barba's training during the week will entail.

Sujskiez

Juniors
From what i can see doggies are doing better without barba and about small blokes getting outjumped look at slater he hardly drops the ball. Barba has had his days the reason he's form was so good in 2011 was because he was just put into FB in that year and majority of the team didn't consider him a threat so he allowed to move freely.

Tommy Smith

Referee
From what i can see doggies are doing better without barba and about small blokes getting outjumped look at slater he hardly drops the ball. .
Firstly, Slater isn't small.

Secondly, his weakness has always bee his ability under the high ball. Particularly in Origin where he fumbles every second bomb.

Tayjack

Juniors
Firstly, Slater isn't small.

Secondly, his weakness has always bee his ability under the high ball. Particularly in Origin where he fumbles every second bomb.

Correct- slater's worst trait is under the high ball 100%, not sure what he has been watching for the past 10 years.

Latest posts