What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hornby - The Tony Trudgett of Halfbacks

mickeylane

Bench
Ben Hornby gave outstanding service To the Dragons. And will
Prob go down as one of the best club men ever.

But it can't be ignored that he was one hell of a "predictable" footballer - so much so that his predictability was akin to knowing that the sun will rise the next day!!

Many moons ago Dragons had a 5/8 called Tomy Trudgett who was so predictable that his team mates would turn their back on him when he had the ball as he would never pass the ball!! He would throw 100 dummies a game and not one of them was e we taken by the opposition.

One year his outside centre Graham Quinn got the flu 4 times in the season
Due to lack of ball from this illustrious 5/8!

It got me thinking last night what a combination that Hornby and Trudgett would have made .. I believe they would have been do predictable that the commentators would have been able to call their next move before they received the ball!!

The morale to this silly ditty is;

Dragons 2013 SECURE a halfback that has the following Characteristics:
Speed, unpredictability, challenges the line, cheeky, strong kicking game..

No room for errors perfect opportunity to recruit properly - hopefully a young 20 yo aka similar to Reynolds of Spuths!!

russell border

Juniors

But it can't be ignored that he was one hell of a "predictable" footballer - so much so that his predictability was akin to knowing that the sun will rise the next day!!

Many moons ago Dragons had a 5/8 called Tomy Trudgett who was so predictable that his team mates would turn their back on him when he had the ball as he would never pass the ball!! He would throw 100 dummies a game and not one of them was e we taken by the opposition.

It got me thinking last night what a combination that Hornby and Trudgett would have made .. I believe they would have been do predictable that the commentators would have been able to call their next move before they received the ball!!

No room for errors perfect opportunity to recruit properly - hopefully a young 20 yo aka similar to Reynolds of Spuths!!

I guess it is interesting that I still remember Tony's name after all these years. I am not sure I will remember the name "mickeylane" in 30 odd years. I guess it comes down to 1 being a premiership player & the other a nobody

stgeorgegrant

Juniors
I remember Mickey Lane playing a trial for saints in early 1979 - way more than 30 years ago - he turned out to be Mitch Brennan playing under a false name.

Fire

First Grade

Cool story bro

TruSaint

Referee

Mickey you are funny and have a good memory.
Yep there is a similarility. But Tony didnt survive 13 years under the ten metre rule. Nor did he play full back for a large part.

Game has changed my friend. We can have a go at Benny over the last year or so but the fact remains his longevity is the key. Tony played in an era that was smash and bash. The whole dynamic of the game has changed.

Ben should be rewarded on his merits and not those of his predecesors.

Fire

First Grade
I'm waiting for the day when ML starts a positive thread on the Dragons (I'd say make a "positive comment", but this attention whore always needs his own thread). There's a simple word for you ML, it's wanker.

TruSaint

Referee
I'm waiting for the day when ML starts a positive thread on the Dragons (I'd say make a "positive comment", but this attention whore always needs his own thread). There's a simple word for you ML, it's wanker.

Fire. ... Lets just give Benny his dues bro.
That was my message.
To compare him to players of past eras that has similar qualities is not RIGHT.

TruSaint

Referee
Cheers bro.
13 f.... years of blood sweat and tears, lets give him a reprive .
Go well Benny.

Minh

First Grade
Ben Hornby was one of the most under rated players throughout his career, the Blues should have certainly used him more would have been a great utility in that team. When he played NSW won.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Definitely one of your better posts!

jenninga

First Grade
I won't hear of any criticism of Hornby,my memory of Benny is a player who put his body on the line for this great club.He never took a backward step on the field,and the bomb he took in the GF was brave and at a critical time of the game,on parr with the Leo Barry mark for the Swans GF win in 05.
So F#*K off anyone that wants to degrade a real champion.

Mattc

Juniors
I won't hear of any criticism of Hornby,my memory of Benny is a player who put his body on the line for this great club.He never took a backward step on the field,and the bomb he took in the GF was brave and at a critical time of the game,on parr with the Leo Barry mark for the Swans GF win in 05.
So F#*K off anyone that wants to degrade a real champion.

Agreed.
I will always remember that take in the GF it was so crucial to the result.
Enjoy retirement Ben, you have deserved it.

Latest posts