What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt - Best Season to Date

BLM01

First Grade
I have to be honest, i wouldn't mind if he moves on. Whoever comes in for the rebuild is going to want to tinker with the roster - they will want the cap flexibility that moving BHunt on provides

As great as an individual player he is I don't think he is worth the 1Mil+ price tag to us. He is an incredible clutch player, great runner of the ball and picks his moments really well. However, for me he is not a great game manager, has a poor short kicking game which doesn't help us maintain pressure and leads by action rather than speaking and guiding a team around the park (for me this is what young players need) I also don't think he really makes people around him better. Not a knock on him at all, I just don't think his skillset or time of career aligns well with where we are with a club over the next 3-4yrs.

I hope he leaves and goes to a club that is well established and needs his skillset to be title challengers.

Moving him on along with one other mid-range forward would allow us to recruit three really important pieces in a rebuild.
All that might be true. But finding an available decent 7 is impossible in todays games without taking huge risks. That is why other clubs are trying to sign good veteran 7's now.
Be careful what you wish for

Lovemedragons

Juniors
All that might be true. But finding an available decent 7 is impossible in todays games without taking huge risks. That is why other clubs are trying to sign good veteran 7's now.
Yeah see your point, undoubtedly things would get worse at first if he were to move on but you have to ask whether at 34 he is the future and whether his presence there is stifling rather than enhancing the team. We certainly cannot seriously entertain unearthing a talented young 7 while he is there and if Hunt were to ever have been the answer then that time has surely passed by.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hunt can pack his bags.
Problem is Gus DOES NOT want him.
IMO No way will Gus buy Hunt. NO WAY
Hunt is being used by Gus
Hunt is just a smoke screen for Sullivan.
Happy to be proven wrong.
BUT IMO GUS WILL NOT BUY HUNT.
Lets just see what Gus DOES.
So what you’re saying is he’s still a chance of going to the dogs 🙄😂😂

hewi

Bench

Rivals ready to ramp up Hunt pursuit as de Belin eyes one-club deal​

Dan Walsh

By Dan Walsh

June 5, 2023 — 5.45am

Rival clubs are growing increasingly bullish at the prospect of Dragons skipper Ben Hunt hitting the open market as St George Illawarra look to make Jack de Belin a one-club player, pending a final sign-off by their next coach.
Despite Hunt signing a two-year deal worth around $900,000 just days after the 2022 grand final, the Dragons’ disastrous campaign and sacking of Anthony Griffin has seen the
declared his commitment to the Dragons as recently as Magic Round, he has largely held his counsel since Griffin’s departure two weeks ago.
No official offers can be put to Hunt by rivals unless he is given permission to negotiate elsewhere by the club. Hunt, 33, is contracted to the club until the end of 2025 and while he

But informed sources have indicated that both Canberra and the Gold Coast have discussed making a play for the Queensland and Australian Test playmaker, who also met with Bulldogs boss Phil Gould last year.
The Raiders’ interest is understood to have been relayed to Hunt’s management by a third party recently given Jack Wighton’s move to South Sydney frees up a significant portion of their salary cap
The Titans, meanwhile, have made similar moves and offer a potential trump card given Hunt’s desire to move his young family back to Queensland once he retires.
Hunt told this masthead after Origin I to “interview me in a week or two and I’ll have more answers for you” regarding his future, while Dragons CEO Ryan Webb also acknowledged his captain’s angst around the club’s vacant coaching post after negotiations with Jason Ryles broke down.

“Ben’s frustrated at the moment, like a lot of people, because we’re not winning,” Webb told 2GB on Saturday.
“We built a base, we had 12 wins last year, and we came into the season with Anthony as coach and a lot of the squad was hoping that we’d take another step forward and maybe be on the edge of finals
“Ben’s a competitor. He wants to win. There’s frustration there, but I can’t say he’s alone in that. The coach is the first part in trying to correct this and show a plan moving forward.”
De Belin, who was knocked out and stretchered off after making an attempted tackle on Sunday night against Penrith, has told club officials he will take up a 2024 option in his contract, reportedly worth around $800,000 in the final season of what was initially a three-year deal.

The prospect of another two-year extension beyond 2024 has also been discussed by de Belin’s management and Dragons officials.
Final sign-off on tying de Belin down, in what would likely be his last NRL deal given he is already 32, would rest with whoever eventually takes charge as coach.
De Belin’s form in a struggling Dragons side this season prompted his consideration for a NSW recall by coach Brad Fittler before Origin I.
Sidelined for more than two years under the NRL’s no-fault stand down policy as he fought sexual assault charges stemming from a night out in 2018, de Belin told this masthead in April that “I’d like to add three years” beyond 2024, because, “in that time off I looked after my body. I’m a young 32, and still feel fantastic body-wise.”
After two separate court hearings, a jury in a second trial found de Belin not guilty of one sexual assault charge and couldn’t reach a verdict on five others.

He returned to the Dragons after the Director of Public Prosecutions opted not to pursue a third trial and withdrew the charges.
“I love the Dragons and have only ever envisaged myself being a one-club man,” de Belin said recently.
“The club has been loyal to me and I have been loyal to the club. It’s a two-way street, and we have both been good to each other. I would like to think it continues on in the future.”

My take is for $800,000 a year JDB will stay as long as they will let him and as for Hunt and his $900,000 some other club can have him and Bird as a package deal.

Parko1310

Juniors
Surely the club in that extra two year deal won't have de Belin on anywhere near 800k. If they do, they just shoot themselves in the foot again. For 2024, they have no choice, the deal was stupidly agreed whilst he was on trial. But 25 and 26 they may as well pack up shop if they're continuing to pay overs as big as that.

Only let Hunt go if he really really wants to go. It's no use having someone that is defiant in not wanting to be here, but don't just role over. If some club wants to take our best player, well great, but he's under contract. So make sure we're getting someone we want in return. I do hope Hunt does not go, people who want him gone make me laugh from how ludicrous it is. If we don't have Ben Hunt last night, the scoreline is ugly.

Think we need to start setting up for life post Ben Hunt though at the same time. Sullivan to me doesn't look like an organising half, I think he's a 5/8th. Amone, well, he might not be able to play the game shortly so we should prepare for the worst. Toby Sexton at the gold coast isn't getting a crack in firsts despite being clearly better than Tannah Boyd. He's an organising half who could be good to have next to Sullivan in the future. Attempt to bring him on board, tell him he's the successor to Hunt and could even force Hunt to hooker if his form warrants it.

possm

Coach
Such players have been available in the past but we just don't chase them hard and fast. The right football staff would address this problem.

SGMax

Juniors
If the Bulldogs are so desperate for a halfback then why do they target Sullivan / Hunt when Walker looks to be available...or is it only the Dragons that get raided despite having players signed up long term...very disrespectful.

If we do lose Hunt, then I would be going after Walker before anyone else...always looked the goods when roosters played us...and he can kick goals.

I doubt the Bulldogs can afford another marquee player with Hunt going for around $1mil, I think its just a destabilising tactic against the dragons roster and their cap.
No way do the bulldogs have a spare million just waiting in case Hunt decides to jump ship.

possm

Coach
Given that I believe that Sullivan and Sloan are our future halves and that Liddle is an adequate hooker, it would not phase me if we lost Hunt and a few first-grade forwards at the end of this season. In this way, we may be able to blood the halves and afford a marquee fullback. Maybe even try Lomax at fullback this year to see how he goes.

We definitely need two good props.

BLM01

First Grade
If the Bulldogs are so desperate for a halfback then why do they target Sullivan / Hunt when Walker looks to be available...or is it only the Dragons that get raided despite having players signed up long term...very disrespectful.

If we do lose Hunt, then I would be going after Walker before anyone else...always looked the goods when roosters played us...and he can kick goals.

I doubt the Bulldogs can afford another marquee player with Hunt going for around $1mil, I think its just a destabilising tactic against the dragons roster and their cap.
No way do the bulldogs have a spare million just waiting in case Hunt decides to jump ship.
Well they are looking at Frizz. They can afford it
CBRLFC are a smart landlord