What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt Takes Responsibility for Dragons Woes

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
While I'm sure most of us would agree that Mary is the architect of Dragons woes while Ben is simply the builder, I wish that both of them would fall on their respective swords and resign.

Hunt is not a $1.2M/year half-back, hooker or anything. He must have been incredulous when Millward and co threw this amount of money at him for five years but it is now a serious mill stone around the club's neck. It is preventing them from going into the transfer market and buying a player they desperately need - like Jessie Ramien.

The Sydney Swans have made the same mistake with the nine year, $10M deal offered Buddy Franklin- who, unlike Hunt, is a genuine superstar. However, one person cannot make a team. and the Swans are learning this the hard way as they continue their inexorable slide down the table. The Swans haven't won a flag in the six years he's been at the club and Franklin is getting older and struggling to recover from injuries. He's still got three years to run his contract and many good judges have advised the Swans to trade him.

I'm sure that Hunt will stay for the money and my plea will fall on deaf ears but, just in case, Ben -if you're reading this and you care as I do about this club- you will save yourself untold angst and earn the everlasting gratitude of many St George supporters like me if you walk away from your contract with SGI and return to play in Queensland.

PS I hear the Gold Coast are looking for quality players

Bigdogsbedtime

Juniors
Its a funny one. I think he tries hard he just isnt a million dollar half. He has games where he looks it but he has as many when you wonder how he got signed at all.

His best position is probably at nine which I wouldn't have said before origin this year. I think he is tough and he does try hard he just has spaz attacks when he has to make decisions. That being said hes never going to oust our current 9.

Its a funny one. I think he tries hard he just isnt a million dollar half. He has games where he looks it but he has as many when you wonder how he got signed at all.

His best position is probably at nine which I wouldn't have said before origin this year. I think he is tough and he does try hard he just has spaz attacks when he has to make decisions. That being said hes never going to oust our current 9.
I think he has all the skills but isn't a hard nosed playmaker like say Maloney is.
Others that come to mind are Cronk (obviously), Townsend, Pearce, Munster to name a few.
We'll never win a title with Hunt as our main playmaker.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Yes- that's what separates true class from just the above average- consistent excellence under pressure- Joey Johns, Cameron Smith, Thurston, Lockyer etc had it, Hunt doesn't.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, Hunt isn't on 1.2m a year, its closer to the 850-900k mark, which I believe is still overs for him.

Secondly, I've never been a fan of us signing him on such a long term deal. I think 2/3 years with club options would have been the prudent way to go.

Hunt to me is like a handfull of crackers you used to buy for cracker night (for those old enough to remember), sometimes they went of with sparkle and a bang, whilst the others just fizzled with maybe a pop.

Hunt needs a dominating 5/8 as his half partner and a dominant forward pack. We don't have that, hence his current playing form.

For Hunt to realky sparkle next year, Norman has to become the dominant half, demand the ball and control the game. Then, and only then will Hunt be able to use his greatest asset, his running game.

Finally, for the 1,000th time, Hunt is not a full time hooker.

Bigdogsbedtime

Juniors
Firstly, Hunt isn't on 1.2m a year, its closer to the 850-900k mark, which I believe is still overs for him.

Secondly, I've never been a fan of us signing him on such a long term deal. I think 2/3 years with club options would have been the prudent way to go.

Hunt to me is like a handfull of crackers you used to buy for cracker night (for those old enough to remember), sometimes they went of with sparkle and a bang, whilst the others just fizzled with maybe a pop.

Hunt needs a dominating 5/8 as his half partner and a dominant forward pack. We don't have that, hence his current playing form.

For Hunt to realky sparkle next year, Norman has to become the dominant half, demand the ball and control the game. Then, and only then will Hunt be able to use his greatest asset, his running game.

Finally, for the 1,000th time, Hunt is not a full time hooker.

I agree with everything you say man. With the hooker stuff you have to admit he was good in origin this year. I dunno if he could do that each week but even if he could he wouldn't be a top level hooker compared to the other great ones going around.

This Year?

Immortal
For me he is worth every cent for what he does to the Broncos.. As long as we play the Broncos twice a season until his contract is done it'll be well worth it.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The fact is Hunt is out of form, but I'm not even close to "move him on" territory and I think those that go there are a little too trigger happy. The fact that is, Hunt is good enough to carry his team to a grand final, it has literally happened before, but he's clearly a player who needs a coach better than f**king Mister McShitfark to unlock that in him.

Halves are the hardest position on the field to play when those around you are out of form, and it just gets magnified when they are expected to be the spark in a side. For me, I put a lot more focus on our pack, who have well and truly shit the bed most of the year. That's not necessarily the fault of the players either. It's obvious Tyson Frizzell was handled poorly at the start of the year when injured, and that has caused a domino effect all over the pack. Graham being expected to knock out more minutes, young blokes being asked to step up suddenly when they've been ignored by Mary for years, coupling all that with poor form and it's just a recipe for disaster

Just put your heads down and move on from this horrible year. Even under Mary I don't think 2020 would be this bad again, but it will still never be at the level this playing roster is capable of reaching. Sack Mary in the off season and bring in Geoff Toovey!

Just quietly, anybody noticed Mary's contract expires at the same time as Craig Bellamy? If we really stuck with this tosser I would hope we get in with a chance there

It's not our backs either. They were crap last year too, still see, but the difference is well and truly our dominant forward pack are in shocking form. JDB was core of this team and they MUST replace him next year!

The fact is Hunt is out of form, but I'm not even close to "move him on" territory and I think those that go there are a little too trigger happy. The fact that is, Hunt is good enough to carry his team to a grand final, it has literally happened before, but he's clearly a player who needs a coach better than f**king Mister McShitfark to unlock that in him.

Halves are the hardest position on the field to play when those around you are out of form, and it just gets magnified when they are expected to be the spark in a side. For me, I put a lot more focus on our pack, who have well and truly shit the bed most of the year. That's not necessarily the fault of the players either. It's obvious Tyson Frizzell was handled poorly at the start of the year when injured, and that has caused a domino effect all over the pack. Graham being expected to knock out more minutes, young blokes being asked to step up suddenly when they've been ignored by Mary for years, coupling all that with poor form and it's just a recipe for disaster

Just put your heads down and move on from this horrible year. Even under Mary I don't think 2020 would be this bad again, but it will still never be at the level this playing roster is capable of reaching. Sack Mary in the off season and bring in Geoff Toovey!

Just quietly, anybody noticed Mary's contract expires at the same time as Craig Bellamy? If we really stuck with this tosser I would hope we get in with a chance there

It's not our backs either. They were crap last year too, still see, but the difference is well and truly our dominant forward pack are in shocking form. JDB was core of this team and they MUST replace him next year!
While I agree with some of your post Bellamy won’t/didn’t come here because of the shit wreck that is the front office and hunts 2 years into a 5 year deal and that contract is anvil around our neck and if he doesn’t lift for year 3?anything past that he’ll be in cruise control to go home I say the club makes the hard decision and it might be in bens best interest and ring the broncos and do a deal look for a half like Shaun Osullivan for the next decade anyway the debate rages have a good one

18to87

First Grade
I'll worry about Ben Hunt or any other player only when the Dragon's Board and all media associated with the NRL start taking responsibility for this eight-year long disaster.
I agree, but I made a subtle change.

denis preston

First Grade
While I'm sure most of us would agree that Mary is the architect of Dragons woes while Ben is simply the builder, I wish that both of them would fall on their respective swords and resign.

Hunt is not a $1.2M/year half-back, hooker or anything. He must have been incredulous when Millward and co threw this amount of money at him for five years but it is now a serious mill stone around the club's neck. It is preventing them from going into the transfer market and buying a player they desperately need - like Jessie Ramien.

The Sydney Swans have made the same mistake with the nine year, $10M deal offered Buddy Franklin- who, unlike Hunt, is a genuine superstar. However, one person cannot make a team. and the Swans are learning this the hard way as they continue their inexorable slide down the table. The Swans haven't won a flag in the six years he's been at the club and Franklin is getting older and struggling to recover from injuries. He's still got three years to run his contract and many good judges have advised the Swans to trade him.

I'm sure that Hunt will stay for the money and my plea will fall on deaf ears but, just in case, Ben -if you're reading this and you care as I do about this club- you will save yourself untold angst and earn the everlasting gratitude of many St George supporters like me if you walk away from your contract with SGI and return to play in Queensland.

First of all Buddy Franklin brought extra sponsorship to the Swans which offsetted a lot of what they are paying him ( Tippett was the real dud ) and the Swans have made 2 grand finals ( one which they were cheated out of ) in his tenure so this is not a fair comparison. The real issue is our forwards and their lack of domination. Give Hunt a pack that at least can match it with 80% of the sides and you will notice a different player. Agree he is not a superstar but he arguably could be the best halfback we have had since Billy Smith ( or Goldie/ Morris if you want to split hairs ) which is precisly the reason we chased him so much. a potential very good signing which will not be relised under this present coaching rabble.

BennyV

Referee
LOL@ this thread.

Hunt is not a hooker. Anyone who thinks he should be playing hooker full time, let alone in place of McInnes, needs to re-learn the game. He was decent in SOO, but majority of the good he did were halfback-style plays. He also came back completely drained both physically and mentally. To put that on him full time during the season is silliness.

As mentioned, the $1.2m/year is rubbish; it started as a beat up by the Courier Fail to justify the fact that he was leaving Broncos, and now people run with it because he’s an easy target. The real figure is around the $850k mark, which is about right. Only problem I have is that a 5 year deal is too long, but not the end of the world. We needed a halfback - we’ve gone from an aging Hornby to an aging Fien, to Michael Witt, Sam Williams and Josh McCrone. We NEEDED a high quality half.

FInally, Hunt is NOT our problem. If you look at our backline 1-7, he is about the 7th biggest issue. When you then build in the misuse and subsequent domination of our forwards, that goes down to about 11th biggest issue. If you then consider our concerns around player selection, depth, development of youth, bench usage, strength and conditioning and COACHING (which is comfortably issue #1, and arguably issue #2-#100) then the conclusion is that the criticism of Hunt is bullshit. WIth a half-brained coach and something resembling a modern game plan, Hunt would easily form a valuable piece of our puzzle.

The criticism on him is warranted but TBH, him as an issue is not even worth talking about until the coach is removed.

BLM01

First Grade

Sorry delusional post as is the wording of the title. Your first statement words are the most accurate and you should of stopped at woes.
The only problem with Ben Hunt is his own onfield mental demons which hold him back trying stuff when things go wrong. Bennett in the main got the best out of him because hes a good coach and had a good squad around him which is what every half needs.
We may have paid overs but whose fault was that we were in such a position we needed to do that.
Hunt is surrounded by a team with no go forward, no second phase, no support play, limited nouse in the backs, worst defensive record and a team brainwashed to stay in their lane following set tackle plays, making sure they are in position for the next. Lets not play football and when Hunt did what he did in the 1st half last week his backs should of been there, reacting and supporting to collect that crossfield kick before going into touch and scoring.
Why dont you start picking on the other similar paid players at clubs that are underperforming and ATM there is a stack of them not just highlight the couple of standouts
How about Josh Reynolds, Klemmer, Ash Taylor, Russ Packer, Foran, Milford, Cleary

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My word some people are full of shit..

Where has Hunt taken responsibility for our woes?

And his salary appears to get bigger every week..

Kayln Ponga isn’t going to be the first player to get $1.5m a season.. By this time next week Hunt will already be earning it..

Old Timer

Coach
First of all Buddy Franklin brought extra sponsorship to the Swans which offsetted a lot of what they are paying him ( Tippett was the real dud ) and the Swans have made 2 grand finals ( one which they were cheated out of ) in his tenure so this is not a fair comparison. The real issue is our forwards and their lack of domination. Give Hunt a pack that at least can match it with 80% of the sides and you will notice a different player. Agree he is not a superstar but he arguably could be the best halfback we have had since Billy Smith ( or Goldie/ Morris if you want to split hairs ) which is precisly the reason we chased him so much. a potential very good signing which will not be relised under this present coaching rabble.
Very intelligently put opinion.
I have fears that our pack will diminish in quality & output over the next 3 years so that will further complicate the issue for Hunt.
I also have fears that Norman is an out & out dud but we will persist with him at 5/8 and that will also further complicate the issue for Hunt.
So in the end IMO we have signed yet another player we have been unable to get the best out of and opportunities to compete at the highest level have been pissed up against the wall.