What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts

Interesting to read us again linked to Cooper Cronk in the papers - one of four clubs chasing, apparently. Cronk could be that extra option we'd need along with the proposed Roberts-Sandow halves partnership - assuming Morts will still not be up to being a back up, and that they aren't interested in retaining Humble (yet to give him a shot this season).

As for what or who we need to add into the hooking mix for next year... who knows?
we already have sandow and roberts what are we going to do with cronk as well are the eels going to be the first team in the nrl to have an interchange halfback? maybe morts is going to be interchange hooker to replace mitchell

Stagger eel

Staff member
Interesting to read us again linked to Cooper Cronk in the papers - one of four clubs chasing, apparently. Cronk could be that extra option we'd need along with the proposed Roberts-Sandow halves partnership - assuming Morts will still not be up to being a back up, and that they aren't interested in retaining Humble (yet to give him a shot this season).

As for what or who we need to add into the hooking mix for next year... who knows?

I wouldn't imagine that Cronk would be available next but 2013, however I don't think we'd be in the running at all..

Parraren

Bench
This place seems pretty divided on Roberts.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy so I think he'll come good for us.

I think he plays his best when he's alongside a dominant half and isn't burdened with too much organising/controlling - hence I think he's well suited to playing alongside Sandow.

He's an instinctive player and that's why he tends to come up with the odd brain explosion.

What I like about him, and what I think will be his biggest asset to Parramatta, is that he has the triple threat - pass, kick, run. It always puts the defense in 2 minds and allows the men outside him (be it Hayne, Loko, Maitua..) to get that extra half yard of space.

Pazza

First Grade
I think he plays his best when he's alongside a dominant half and isn't burdened with too much organising/controlling - hence I think he's well suited to playing alongside Sandow.

True, very much like a Brett Finch!

A question to the forum! Ben Roberts attacks down the left while Reni Maitua attacks down the right? i have just picked up on this from other posts on the forum. If so we could have these guys operating exclusively down those sides of the field with Sandow and Hayne attacking both.

How do you guys think Ben Smith would go wide on the left, given Maitua would take Ben's spot on the right?

Eels Dude

Coach
Cause, as Shane Richardson keeps saying, Sandow is yet to officially put pen to paper. Although he has agreed to a deal in principle.

It's after round 13. The contract he has committed to or signed would have been registered already. Richardson has actually already admitted Sandow is gone and they'll be going into 2012 with Adam Reynolds as their halfback.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True, very much like a Brett Finch!

A question to the forum! Ben Roberts attacks down the left while Reni Maitua attacks down the right?

Pretty sure Reni prefers the left side. He mostly played on the left for the Dogs and he has a left foot step.

To be honest there's no issue with Reni playing on the same side as Roberts anyway. Plenty of teams stack their left side with their best attacking players.

jono

Juniors
Pretty sure Reni prefers the left side. He mostly played on the left for the Dogs and he has a left foot step.

To be honest there's no issue with Reni playing on the same side as Roberts anyway. Plenty of teams stack their left side with their best attacking players.

IIRC in the second half Reni made 2 surges to the right hand side and stepped off his right , as well as the no-try , when he stepped off his left.
All in all, a very positive acquisition.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep.

I told all the doubters he'd be back in first grade within 4 games, and I told them he'd be good.

I f**ken told them so!!!

What!

True EEL

Bench
You reckon Roberts should have played hooker?

ni, i just meant the Dogs actual hooker couldn't play....you know Mick Ennis he's playing for NSW?!
hence why Roberts got a gig in NRL again this week....and finally, how did that work out for the dogs???

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
ni, i just meant the Dogs actual hooker couldn't play....you know Mick Ennis he's playing for NSW?!
hence why Roberts got a gig in NRL again this week....and finally, how did that work out for the dogs???

Well clearly Keating wasn't up to it at hooker just like he's not up to it at 6.

Kicking stats were interesting though:

Keating 4 kicks (113m)
Hodkinson 6 kicks (143m)
Roberts 10 kicks (326m)

Anyway, it looks like the coach who rates Keating over Roberts could be gone this time next week. Hopefully Ben gets more of a run.

True EEL

Bench
Well clearly Keating wasn't up to it at hooker just like he's not up to it at 6.

Kicking stats were interesting though:

Keating 4 kicks (113m)
Hodkinson 6 kicks (143m)
Roberts 10 kicks (326m)

Anyway, it looks like the coach who rates Keating over Roberts could be gone this time next week. Hopefully Ben gets more of a run.

so what your saying is that with the extra kicks that Roberts had, he made more meters than the other two, is that what you mean?
almost identical numbers between KK and Roberts actually if you projected KK's metres out if he had the same kicks....so not really a biggy there is it??

but yes, you could be right about the other bit, at least Roberts getting time back in NRL-level matches will help, i just have big doubts over this guy, always have

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
so what your saying is that with the extra kicks that Roberts had, he made more meters than the other two, is that what you mean?
almost identical numbers between KK and Roberts actually if you projected KK's metres out if he had the same kicks....so not really a biggy there is it??

The fact is Roberts made more kicks, and especially more attacking (short) kicks. He's got a great grubber up the sideline that is lethal when coupled with a good chase.

That Roberts made more kicks in that game (for more metres per kick) shows that he was the primary kicker in that match. Not bad considering Hodkinson was bought on the strength of his long kicking game.

Roberts' kicking game alone will be worth whatever we pay him. On top of that he's a genuine playmaker.

CrazyEel

Bench
The fact is Roberts made more kicks, and especially more attacking (short) kicks. He's got a great grubber up the sideline that is lethal when coupled with a good chase.

That Roberts made more kicks in that game (for more metres per kick) shows that he was the primary kicker in that match. Not bad considering Hodkinson was bought on the strength of his long kicking game.

Roberts' kicking game alone will be worth whatever we pay him. On top of that he's a genuine playmaker.
Agreed, but he is also a little erratic :lol:

Latest posts