What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed, but he is also a little erratic :lol:

You take the good with the bad.

I doubt we'll split halves with Sandow in the side so Roberts won't get so much ball anyway.

Geez, some of you blokes are being very kind to Roberts and his ability as a playmaker.

Probably because we didn't start watching the NRL last year and we've actually seen Roberts at his best.

Last edited:

True EEL

Bench
all those stats show is that Roberts made more kicks, and subsequently more metres gained in an almost linear relationship with respect to the amount of kicks the others had, esp KK

and sadly for us, i have never considered Roberts a great kicker, or a genuine playmaker.....only ever seen him as consistently, inconsistent

but hey, he's still young enough to turn it around, so hope he does

CrazyEel

Bench

I doubt we'll split halves with Sandow in the side so Roberts won't get so much ball anyway.

Probably because we didn't start watching the NRL last year and we've actually seen Roberts at his best.
All true and I am very happy to have him on board. Though they may have areas to work on Roberts, Sandow and Reni are ALL attacking players and that is something our team desperately needs to allow Hayne some freedom.

Was a time I had my doubts re Sandow but after watching all his games since I have to admit you were right. I expect the 3 I mentioned to make a huge difference next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
all those stats show is that Roberts made more kicks, and subsequently more metres gained in an almost linear relationship with respect to the amount of kicks the others had, esp KK

'Almost linear'?

Roberts: 32.6 metres/kick
Keating: 28.25
Hodkinson: 23.83

Now, metres per kick doesn't tell the whole story (short attacking kicks will drop your average, and there's no indication of where the kick landed) but at the moment it's all we've got unless we look at the video.

Roberts made over 4 m/k more than the next guy, which is an extra 14% of Keating's metres per kick.

The fact he made more kicks for longer clearly shows he was the team's number 1 long kicking option. This in a team with a noted long kicker.

Perhaps round 15 is a better indicator:

Roberts 7 kicks (225m)
Keating 5 kicks (137m)

and sadly for us, i have never considered Roberts a great kicker

He's not; he's a good kicker. Why do you have to resort to ad absurdum bullshit to try and prove your point? I never said he's a great kicker, and he doesn't have to be to add something to our team.

Spot On

Coach

When did you start watching Poo, 2009? Ben Roberts is ordinary. Can be a good ball runner and has a nice grubber at times but that is it.

CrazyEel

Bench
When did you start watching Poo, 2009? Ben Roberts is ordinary. Can be a good ball runner and has a nice grubber at times but that is it.
Well that alone already puts him streets in front of our current halves. Who we got you could say that about?

Ratchy

Juniors
Geez, some of you blokes are being very kind to Roberts and his ability as a playmaker.

His role will be to complement Sandow & Hayne plus prolly to a lesser extent Matuia. More than a handy player to fit that role.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
As a Parra supporter, I think it's important that we have a player we can use a scapegoat for every loss. Ben Roberts should fill that role nicely.

hindy111

Post Whore
RICHARD FAASSO -theres a guy who looked promising at Penrith-Never kicked on at the Roosters.Made a few bench spots for parra.
AT age 26 in Newcastle he started to look ok-But this year at age 27 he has turned into one of the best forwards in the game-id have to put him in the top 10 on form.
Roberts-Tautai and Paulo all fit in this category.Some players come into grade to early and it takes them longer to adjust.Roberts in the past has played some terrifc footy.Tautai is starting to hit his straps and paulo has talent-All cheap and all good signings-Compared to Hicks-walker-Phats ???

'Almost linear'?

Roberts: 32.6 metres/kick
Keating: 28.25
Hodkinson: 23.83

Now, metres per kick doesn't tell the whole story (short attacking kicks will drop your average, and there's no indication of where the kick landed) but at the moment it's all we've got unless we look at the video.

Roberts made over 4 m/k more than the next guy, which is an extra 14% of Keating's metres per kick.

The fact he made more kicks for longer clearly shows he was the team's number 1 long kicking option. This in a team with a noted long kicker.

Perhaps round 15 is a better indicator:

Roberts 7 kicks (225m)
Keating 5 kicks (137m)

He's not; he's a good kicker. Why do you have to resort to ad absurdum bullshit to try and prove your point? I never said he's a great kicker, and he doesn't have to be to add something to our team.
who cares how far he kicks the ball as long as it doesnt go out on the full

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we should have tried Humble at 6 before we paid more for someone who has produced little with a great deal more opportunity - but that's just me.

If Roberts doesn't get the first grade spot, at least we have good depth.

I'm all for Humble being given a shot, after his past couple of games for Wenty (and thank f**k for Wednesday afternoon NSW Cup on Fox). I'd like to see him come into our side next weekend (i.e. not 2 days after playing for NSW Residents).

But since we've signed Roberts out of reserve grade he won't be on much ($100k-$150k I reckon) and if we lock Humble up for a few more years I don't expect it would be any more than that.

And if we let Humble go at the end of the year it's because the coach didn't rate him. I reckon he knows more about the players than any of us.

Either way, with our halves options after Sandow being on less than regular starter's money (with the exception of Mortimer who is on a first grade half's pay), we're free to experiment with next year's 6 jersey.

Ben Roberts at his best is one of the most damaging halves in the game. At his worst he's a solid kicker and defender who makes a few errors. He's an excellent addition to the squad.

Stagger eel

Staff member
mate, Humble isn't going that great in the reggies to warrant a call up but then again Etu made the most of his chance after a mediocre display for wenty.

TheParraboy

Staff member
If Roberts doesn't get the first grade spot, at least we have good depth.

I'm all for Humble being given a shot, after his past couple of games for Wenty (and thank f**k for Wednesday afternoon NSW Cup on Fox). I'd like to see him come into our side next weekend (i.e. not 2 days after playing for NSW Residents).

But since we've signed Roberts out of reserve grade he won't be on much ($100k-$150k I reckon) and if we lock Humble up for a few more years I don't expect it would be any more than that.

And if we let Humble go at the end of the year it's because the coach didn't rate him. I reckon he knows more about the players than any of us.

Either way, with our halves options after Sandow being on less than regular starter's money (with the exception of Mortimer who is on a first grade half's pay), we're free to experiment with next year's 6 jersey.

Ben Roberts at his best is one of the most damaging halves in the game. At his worst he's a solid kicker and defender who makes a few errors. He's an excellent addition to the squad.

Well, why arent we offering him a contract extension then? :p

Spot On

Coach
His role will be to complement Sandow & Hayne plus prolly to a lesser extent Matuia. More than a handy player to fit that role.

He couldn't get a start at the Dogs for the majority of this season mate and their halves are on a par with yours.