What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Rogers

K-Man

Bench
Rather than comparing him to Dureau or focusing on whether or not Mullen should be at five-eighth etc, I'd like to discuss Rogers for the job he is doing regardless of any alternatives currently available.

Purely looking at his performances on the field, how do you think he is going? Has he exceeded your expectations? Would you trade him to have Bailey back or would you keep him if a straight swap was on offer?

Personally I'm very impressed. He's got that Fittler/Daley/Barrett type game where he runs to the line with the ball in two hands and can put on a big step and break through or throw a neat pass to one of his runners. He is a genuinely dangerous player on the fringes.

Consistency issues aside I don't believe there are many more threatening five-eighths in the comp. His strike rate for minutes played to line breaks and line break assists would be phenomenal. In fact he barely goes through a match without having a key involvement in at least one or two excellent tries - whether that be busting the line himself or providing the crucial pass.

It was nice to see in the Roosters match that rather than just the neat short ball to Taia type play he put Sau through a yawing gap with a good cut out pass. He also dug us out of trouble with a massive kick down into their in-goal area.

His jink at the line and offload for Taia's second try was so smooth as to almost be overlooked. That was brilliant attacking football, he created that try on his own from absolutely nothing. If Thurston had done it would've been 'magical' or 'brilliant'.

He needs to stop giving away silly penalties though. Overall I think Brian has made an excellent purchase and is using him well.

Please don't let this turn into a debate about Dureau. Stick to your opinion on Rogers alone.

Jono078

Referee
Liking his contribution so far, he makes our team better, I think that's a good compliment to give him.

I always said he would potentially be good for us, I knew he had talent, he has shown it at other clubs. Just the other clubs expected him to be a halfback and run the show.

As Gould said on the Sunday Roast last week, Brian identifies talents and tells them what he tells them what he thinks their good at and how they can help the team. I think this is a perfect example. He knows Rogers can't run a team, but he knows he has the talent for some plays that are very hard to defend against.

roopy

Referee
I think Smith has done a Kurt Gidley with him.
I think both he and Kurt were being asked to be the main playmakers in sides, and really they should just be playing for themselves mostly and putting something on if it seems like a good idea, rather than trying too hard to make things happen.
Early in the season he didn't understand the whole sit back and take opportunities thing, and he was doing nothing for a game or two, but each week he is understanding his role better.
Just as long as we have someone else to do the thinking he will improve I think, and is a potential equal of Kidley in the 5/8 role (but not fullback obviously).

K-Man

Bench
And on the fact that he has basically been a direct replacement for Bailey?

I wouldn't have Bailey back, and that's not what I thought I'd be saying last year before Rogers was picked up.

Alex28

Coach
Swap Bailey for Rogers? No thanks.

Rogers has certainly exceeded expectations. I didn't think he'd last a few games in First Grade. Now he's a weekly starter. Good job really.

Johns Magic

Referee
I wouldn't swap Keith Lulia for Bailey. Bailey sucks.

I was glad when we signed Rogers because he obviously had the talent but never played under a quality coach(Taylor, Brown). I also think giving the extra responsibility to Mullen is a good thing for his development. So far he has played as well as I thought he could.

My friend from Souths actually said he was the most talented player they had since Trindall.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Bailey was a lock playing 5/8 (and still is) where as Rogers is a genuine 5/8 so no, I would not take Bailey back.

Ben's form has been well above my expectations from what I saw of him last year and I am very happy with him being in the side. If he can get those 1 or 2 silly plays/penalties out of his game then he will be an outstanding FGer.

Rogers season so far is a very repectable 7/10 from me

antonius

Coach
I predicted early on before the season started that Rogers could be one of our best signings. Must admit I had doubts on that prediction after a few rounds, but he is getting better every game. Definately prefer him to Bailey. As I said in a post somewhere else here, Rogers, Mullen, DeGois, and Kidley are building a formidable and leathal attacking combination.

Karmawave

Bench
Prefer him over Bailey.

He has always had points in him. He has been a matchwinner in the past at previous clubs, but is a classic example of a confidence player - when he is on, he is deadly, but when he has a bad day, he can be completely awful.

If he can limit the bad days, even if it means taming the deadly days just a bit, it would be better, but he does battle for general popularity with the fans because of the player he keeps out the team.

I think he is well liked by his team mates as well, and has fit into the team very well - which helps alot.

Serc

First Grade
Nice try there Karma...

Overall I'm impressed by Rogers, who has exceeded my expectations a little bit so far. Wouldn't trade him for Bailey, and if he keeps up the improvement we've seen so far he'll be of serious value to us by the end of the year. Well done to him and to Smithy :)

voltron

Juniors
yeah
when i heard this signing, i hated it to be quite frank
but he is doing a great job for us
he doesnt kick much though does he?
i cant seem to remember him kicking much....
but he runs hard and aims for holes, so i love that, when he gets the ball you wonder if something is on, and thats pretty cool

Alex28

Coach
he doesnt kick much though does he?
See...I think this is a bit of a myth to be honest. He put a great kick in during the first half of the Roosters game - kicked from our own 40 and got it to finish in goal. I think he can kick but Mullen is a better option.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Nice try there Karma...

Overall I'm impressed by Rogers, who has exceeded my expectations a little bit so far. Wouldn't trade him for Bailey, and if he keeps up the improvement we've seen so far he'll be of serious value to us by the end of the year. Well done to him and to Smithy :)
Agree on all fronts. Still waiting for the regulation one or two terrible plays which cost his side the game, but no sign of them yet :crazy:

hes not robotic in his plays which you can almost predict the kind of plays a team is going to do..i think he looks for different options at times..good on him...!

BG

Juniors
See...I think this is a bit of a myth to be honest. He put a great kick in during the first half of the Roosters game - kicked from our own 40 and got it to finish in goal. I think he can kick but Mullen is a better option.

His kicking is another example of his being suited to the role of selective playmaker. He isn't effective as a principal kicker but when he picks his moment, he can do good things with his boot both long and short--nicely placed and weighted bomb for Houston to score a couple of weeks ago I thought. Obviously we don't want to see too many of the brain explosions like that chip kick against Saints--but it was only the context of the time and score that made it dire... it was on and almost worked, and he could easily win us a game with something like that too.

Ben Rogers' vision in attack is as good as anyone's on his day but he isn't as consistent as a JT. Thurston is a freak of nature. No way is Dureau even close to the class of Rogers as far as ability to hurt a team is concerned. If Mullo gets injured Rogers is good enough to fill the breach. His short passing game is plain lethal.

African Monkey

First Grade
I've always rated the guy and people laughed at me about it last year. I thought he had a massive future with us at Souths but it's good to see him going so well with you guys.

Spot On

Coach
He's a genuine 5/8. Deceptive runner of the ball and good hands. Has a bit of toe of the mark. Can kick as well. Who was our last genuine 5/8?

Pika

Bench
No one has mentioned his defence......I can't recall him missing many tackles

Though it wont be counted as a missed tackle as he never got a hand on Prince, falling for that dummy in round one was shocking.

In his defence, he is certainly not the only person to fall for it.