What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji at 1, 6 or 7

Bald Tiger

Juniors
What position should Benji play? The question was raised again on Fox last night. Assuming they are right and he is the player the team should be built around in the next few seasons - should Benji play 1, 6 or 7?

Glennb

Juniors
Bald Tiger said:
What position should Benji play? The question was raised again on Fox last night. Assuming they are right and he is the player the team should be built around in the next few seasons - should Benji play 1, 6 or 7?

I think no. 7 with Prince at 6.

For mine, 5/8's should still be bigger than Benji.

Glenn B

Crebilin

Juniors
Agreed......Prince at 6 due to Fitzy being soooooo poor at that position. Benji at 7. We have too many possible fullbacks already and he is too short for the high ball.

Tigerpete

Juniors
While i can see the reasoning for having Beji played defensively in the line as opposed to his previous 2 games defending at fullback, i'd like to see them switch back to that. At fullback he was able to put defenders in 2 minds where as when he defends in the line players will run at him at he'll get itred of making those tackles.

B_Tiger

Juniors
I'd say 5/8 because I think he is too young to organise a first grade squad. He really hasn't gotten involved enough at half and so playing him at 5/8 will give him more freedom to put himself where he wants rather then trying to organise the backline. He could interchange between half and 5/8 with prince throughout the season as both are versatile.

Crebilin

Juniors
If you guys paid Buettner $5 for the year you guys would then be $2,000,005 over the cap so i guess you cant have him even if you wanted to :lol:

Blocker Shaw

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
I'd say 5/8 because I think he is too young to organise a first grade squad. He really hasn't gotten involved enough at half and so playing him at 5/8 will give him more freedom to put himself where he wants rather then trying to organise the backline. He could interchange between half and 5/8 with prince throughout the season as both are versatile.

just cause he plays half doesn't mean he has to organise the team. look at teams like the roosters with fittler and the dragons with barrett. until recently they didnt have any halfbacks but still those players organised the team around the park and put the kicks in downfield. prince should play a similar role with benji at half.

like at cronulla a couple of years ago with dykes and campbell. dykes still did a majority of the passing and kicking and preston just ran through gaps and through the odd pass or kick in for variety. that should be how we go for next year. prince at 6 and benji at 7. but i do also like the idea of benji at fullback returning the kicks. but with hodgson??

but whether we go to that set-up straight away or not is a different matter, and will depend on trial form i guess..

B_Tiger

Juniors
Blocker Shaw said:
B_Tiger said:

just cause he plays half doesn't mean he has to organise the team. look at teams like the roosters with fittler and the dragons with barrett. until recently they didnt have any halfbacks but still those players organised the team around the park and put the kicks in downfield. prince should play a similar role with benji at half.

like at cronulla a couple of years ago with dykes and campbell. dykes still did a majority of the passing and kicking and preston just ran through gaps and through the odd pass or kick in for variety. that should be how we go for next year. prince at 6 and benji at 7. but i do also like the idea of benji at fullback returning the kicks. but with hodgson??

but whether we go to that set-up straight away or not is a different matter, and will depend on trial form i guess..

valid points but I still feel benji will be strongest at 5/8. This isn't ideal either because I'd really like to play prince at 5/8 but I think Benji looks his best when he receives the ball from a halfback rather then playing half himself.

I also agree about fullback, he looked really good there and I'd prefer him at the position to either half or 5/8 but with the purchase of Hodgson that isn't really possible which is a shame.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Marshall perhaps should play as a fullback in the defensive line, although he would need to improve his tackling.

However, in attack i think he should be the five-eighth. Prince at half with Marshall running off him has me frothing at the mouth already.

I cant wait for next year!

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I think alot of people have forgotten Reynolds for next season.

To be honest at the start of the season I would start Reynolds at half and play Prince at 5/8th and use Marshall off the bench.

Reynolds does know how to organize a team, and he dosn't hog the ball. Prince I feel needs to be given a roving role around the park to use his full potential whilst Marshall looks like he will only get involved once the forwards appear to become tired so why start him then for?

Glennb

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
I think alot of people have forgotten Reynolds for next season.

To be honest at the start of the season I would start Reynolds at half and play Prince at 5/8th and use Marshall off the bench.

Reynolds does know how to organize a team, and he dosn't hog the ball. Prince I feel needs to be given a roving role around the park to use his full potential whilst Marshall looks like he will only get involved once the forwards appear to become tired so why start him then for?

I think you might be on to something there. If that was to happen of course there would be no place for Withers (Farah / Mears hooker).
From my memory of last year Reynolds has a super kicking game.

Glenn B

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Reynolds can play and to be honest I think he will be our best option at Half back for next year and beyond!

He is an organiser, he can kick long and short, he can pass, has vision, can defend and most of all uses the backline very well.

I really can only see Benji used mainly next season when the forwards are tired which for mind would see him start off the bench.

bonstonker

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
Reynolds can play and to be honest I think he will be our best option at Half back for next year and beyond!

He is an organiser, he can kick long and short, he can pass, has vision, can defend and most of all uses the backline very well.

I really can only see Benji used mainly next season when the forwards are tired which for mind would see him start off the bench.

wow,there is actually someone out there thinking the same as me.

next year i want to see benchi marshall for the start of the season unless his trial form makes it impossible for him to be left out of the run on team.

and you are correct about the skills of reynolds,he has it all.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
bonstonker said:
Mighty Tiger said:

wow,there is actually someone out there thinking the same as me.

next year i want to see benchi marshall for the start of the season unless his trial form makes it impossible for him to be left out of the run on team.

and you are correct about the skills of reynolds,he has it all.

Mate good to see ;-)

PINGU

Juniors
Marshall should play 5/8. I think he will give his outside backs better service than Prince. Marshall has the speed, the step and also a good long pass to be able to put his centres into holes.

His defence is very suspect as well. I noticed him playing out on the wing yesterday. Kinda reminds me of Preston Campbell.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
The only times we looked dangerous yesterday was when Benji played at 5/8. He has a fast flat long pass and vision. And he doesnt always pass back inside thank goodness.

Latest posts