What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Question

If Souths are to win next weekend, Benji will win a premiership 16 years after his last. Would this be the longest time between titles for an individual? Only player I can think of who comes close is Lote Tuqiri going 14 years (with a longer Rugby stint than Benji).

Diesel

Referee
Probably. Elite players seem to have a longer career than players in the pre-NRL era.

a lot of pre-Super League/mid 90’s era players held down full time jobs at the same time as playing and didn’t have the recovery & rehab available to them that the current professional players have

Floodwaters

Juniors
It would have to be, not many players with a 18 year career. It's a shame how his last few years panned out, he'd still be in the top halves in the comp.

Danish

Referee
tuquiri could be argued as the current holder of the record with 2000 then 2014although he was out of the game a long time in between.

I’d say Menzies would be the current record holder with 12 continuous years in the top grade between premierships from 1996 to 2008

:edit:

freddy also had an 11 year span between 91 and 02. Can’t think of any others than went a decade between drinks

tuquiri could be argued as the current holder of the record with 2000 then 2014although he was out of the game a long time in between.

I’d say Menzies would be the current record holder with 12 continuous years in the top grade between premierships from 1996 to 2008

:edit:

freddy also had an 11 year span between 91 and 02. Can’t think of any others than went a decade between drinks

Minichiello went 11 as well 2002-2013

The_Frog

First Grade
If Souths are to win next weekend, Benji will win a premiership 16 years after his last. Would this be the longest time between titles for an individual? Only player I can think of who comes close is Lote Tuqiri going 14 years (with a longer Rugby stint than Benji).
The longest by a player who didn't leave the sport is Luke Lewis 2003-16. As far as I know Lote is longest overall.

Benji has played in the NRL every season since he debuted in 2003, including 15 games the year he returned from his rugby stint. He would have a case for being continuous.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm happy for him...his stars have aligned and he's right where he should be this (maybe) last year ...playing 14 for bennet..in form and who knows...maybe even makes the clutch play to win it ?! It writes itself...

Fangs

Coach
And only good news story if Souffs win next week.

Legend of the game. Total rockstar.

simmo05

Bench
The longest by a player who didn't leave the sport is Luke Lewis 2003-16. As far as I know Lote is longest overall.

Benji has played in the NRL every season since he debuted in 2003, including 15 games the year he returned from his rugby stint. He would have a case for being continuous.
No case, no continuity, he left!