What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji retires

Modern day legend of Rugby League, Benji Marshall, has called time on his incredible career, retiring from the sport today.

Marshall, Rabbitohs first grade player number 1167, played 19 seasons in the NRL, making his debut for the Wests Tigers in 2003 and playing his final game in the 2021 Grand Final for South Sydney against the Penrith Panthers at Suncorp Stadium.

Holding Kiwi player number 717, he has represented New Zealand in 31 Test matches (21 as captain), won an NRL premiership in 2005 with the Wests Tigers and played 346 NRL games for the Rabbitohs, Tigers, Dragons and Broncos which is a record for a New Zealand-born player. He also had a short stint in Super Rugby with the Auckland Blues in 2014 but quickly returned to his main sporting love of Rugby League.

Marshall, 36, was part of the Kiwis team that won the World Cup in 2008, was awarded the Golden Boot as the best player in the world in 2010, was crowned the Dally M five-eighth of the year in 2011 and was announced as the RLIF five-eighth of the year in 2009 and 2011.

Marshall inspired Rugby League players young and old with his mesmerising style of play. His ability to step off both feet at pace, his ability to throw no-look cut-out passes to open teammates, his willingness to put his body on the line in defence and his charismatic personality, have made him a favourite player to thousands of Rugby League players, Members and supporters from all clubs and nations alike.

Marshall is regarded by many as one of the next New Zealand-born candidates to be named in the NRL Hall of Fame and is in line to become the first New Zealander to be awarded Immortal status in the sport.

Marshall reflected on his amazing career this week.

“I feel privileged and grateful to have had the career that I have had,” Marshall said.

“I started as just a young kid from Whakatane who was chasing his dreams and will leave as a better man who reached those dreams. I cannot thank Rugby League enough for everything it has given me.

“I am extremely proud of my career. I’m proud of the longevity of playing 19 seasons, proud of winning a premiership, proud to represent my country and to win a World Cup, and I’m proud of winning a Golden Boot too.

Benji Marshall
“But the thing of which I’m most proud is the countless times I have had to pick myself up and fight back from the many setbacks that were thrown at me throughout my career.

“I want to thank the Wests Tigers, the St George Illawarra Dragons, the Brisbane Broncos and, of course, the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the opportunity to play for those great clubs. Special mention goes to the Tigers where I am a Life Member and it’s a club that has always been a big part of my life.

“Thank you to South Sydney for allowing me this opportunity to finish my career this way on a high and to go out on my terms.

“Thanks to all of the referees and volunteers of our great game. Thank you to all of the players I have played with and against. Thank you to all of my coaches over my career, especially Tim Sheens and Wayne Bennett, who have had the biggest impact on me.

“I want to thank the fans. It has been a pleasure to be able to play for you guys. Thank you for embracing the way that I played the game. To show my stuff on the big stage in front of you guys is the greatest feeling ever. To run out to a roaring crowd, there is nothing like it. That’s what I will miss the most, playing for you guys.

“I would like to thank my family. My parents Mick and Annalie Doherty and my mum Lydia Marshall, my brothers Jordan and Jeremy, my extended Marshall family and my friends.

“I would like to thank my kids, Fox and Ever, who are my ‘why’.

“Most importantly, I want to thank my wife Zoe who has been my rock, my constant source of support, for always believing in me and riding the highs and lows next to me. She has always sacrificed so much in order for me to continue living my dreams.

“I’ve got no doubts that I could have played on again next year, but now is the right time for me to call time on my football career and move on to the next adventure. Now it’s time for me to put my family first.”

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly paid tribute to one of the greats of the game.

“Benji Marshall has left an indelible mark not only on our Club, but on the entire sport over the past two decades. I’m sure he has left a positive imprint on the Tigers, Dragons and Broncos too, particularly the Tigers where he spent so many years captaining their club, guiding them to the 2005 premiership,” Mr Solly said.

“He has proudly captained his country, captained at club level and represented his Maori heritage.

“He has been an idol to so many aspiring footballers, boys and girls, over the years and it was an honour to have a player of his standing represent our Club.

Blake Solly
South Sydney Rabbitohs CEO
“It’s not only the quality football that he has played on the field for us in 2021, but it’s the knowledge he has passed on to everyone in our squad, from the seasoned veterans to the rookies.

“He hasn’t put a foot wrong off the field either, connecting deeply with our Members and corporate partners throughout the year, despite the tyranny of distance at times due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“He brought everything that we envisioned he would bring to our Club and more, and I know South Sydney has also left a mark on him too.

“We wish Benji, Zoe, Fox and Ever all the best with whatever comes next for him and his family. He will always be welcome at the Rabbitohs and they will always be part of the Rabbitohs’ family.”

Biography
Name: Benji Marshall
Date of Birth: 25 February 1985
Place of Birth: Whakatane, NZ
Position: Five-eighth/Halfback
Height: 183cm
Weight: 92kg
Junior Club: Keebra Park
Clubs: Rabbitohs (2021); Tigers (2003-13, 2018-20); Broncos (2017); Dragons (2014-16); Auckland Blues RU (2014)
NRL Games: 346 (22 for the Rabbitohs, 257 for the Tigers, 54 for the Dragons and 13 for the Broncos. Also played six Super Rugby matches for Auckland Blues RU)
NRL Points: 1232 (from 12 points for the Rabbitohs [three tries], 1181 points for Tigers [84 tries, 416 goals, 13 field goals], 35 points for Dragons [eight tries and three field goals] and four points for Broncos [from one try]. Also scored ten points for Auckland Blues RU from one try, one conversion and one penalty goal)
NRL Debut: Tigers vs Knights, Campbelltown Stadium, 27 July 2003 (Rd 20)
Club NRL Debut: Rabbitohs vs Storm, AAMI Park, Thursday 11 March 2021 (Rd 1)
NRL Premierships: One (2005 - Tigers)
Rep Honours: 31 Tests for New Zealand (2005-19); World Cup (2008-champions); Four Nations (2009-11); four games for NRL All Stars (2010-13); one game for Maori All Stars (2021)
Awards and Honours: 21 Tests as New Zealand captain (2009-19); NRL most capped New Zealand-born player of all-time (346 games); Golden Boot (2010); Dally M Five-eighth of the Year (2011); RLIF Five-eighth of the Year (2009, 2011); Inducted as a Life Member of Wests Tigers (2013); Wests Tigers player #70; Brisbane Broncos player #226; St George Illawarra Dragons player #181; South Sydney Rabbitohs player #1167; New Zealand Kiwis player #717

Benji Marshall Announces His Retirement - Rabbitohs

Jono078

Referee
Great career. Provided plenty of highlight reel moments that will live on forever and made plenty of kids try and replicate what he would do, in their backyard or down the park and now those kids are playing NRL. Can’t put a price on his contribution to the game.

mozza91

Coach
Brilliant player who was as good to watch as anyone who’s ever played the game. Made Tigers games compulsive viewing for a number of years and has done a job for every club he’s played at since.

To play well over 300 games is an amazing achievement for a someone who had so many injury problems early in his career.

Absolute legend who hopefully will stay involved in the game in some capacity.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Enjoy retirement Champion.
Inspired a lot of people young and old and was literally dazzling in his early years. That pass in the 2005 grand final will always be one of the enduring moments of the game.

Apart from, and this is just allegedly, rumours that he once took 9 items through the 8 items or less checkout a couple of times he was a top bloke off the field always willing to give up time for the fans.

He'll be missed but never forgotten.

Fangs

Coach
Great player, huge hit with all fans during the 2000s and 10s. The most entertaining player on the field I have seen.

Back when the Tigers had a bit of charm he was pulling the strings. Sunday afternoon Tigers games were always fun.

JJ

Immortal
Great career, and some moments that will be remembered forever

great that he finished playing pretty well too

Last Week

Bench
He's in the immortal conversation. His impact on the game with the way he played, they way he inspired kids to want to play like him, winning a World Cup dethroning Australia for the first time in 3 decades.

He's in the conversation.

At his best he was one of the best attacking players to watch, maybe in the history of the game. Overcame a heap of injury concerns early in his career to carve out almost 20 years of first grade footy. Brought an element of backyard footy to the NRL that will probably never be seen again, with flick passes, fancy footwork and a wide range of disguised passes. Delivered my club a premiership which seems less and less likely to ever happen again by the day.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Quite a unique career, in that he was clearly no longer an ‘elite’ player past about 2013 (he peaked early to an extent), yet went on to have an extremely long career. Has there ever been a comparable case of an elite player continuing on in a second iteration as ‘sub-elite’ for the better part of 8 years?

I don’t hold that against him either - there have been heaps of top players whose athleticism waned in their late 20s. It just usually meant they retired. Benji’s longevity is entirely to his credit.

Easy to forget too that his prime was hardly a flash in the pan. 2005, 2008, 2010-11 were all good Benji-eras.

Has to be the last of pre 2005 debutants in the game unless Karmichael Hunt is still playing.

Loved this guy from the start even if he wasn’t in my team and then, he ends his career at my club and in a GF.

Peak Benji was just magic. And when people talk Immortals, the guy took our breath away.

Genuine nice guy, no controversy and crazy to think that 2003 was 18 years ago!!!

Thanks for the memories Benji.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He's in the immortal conversation. His impact on the game with the way he played, they way he inspired kids to want to play like him, winning a World Cup dethroning Australia for the first time in 3 decades.

He's in the conversation.
He's not even close. Absurd to suggest he is really

Eelectrica

Referee
Congrats on a great career Benji.
18 years is a hell of an effort.

Great player and always played the game in thw right spirit

Munky

Coach
Quite a unique career, in that he was clearly no longer an ‘elite’ player past about 2013 (he peaked early to an extent), yet went on to have an extremely long career. Has there ever been a comparable case of an elite player continuing on in a second iteration as ‘sub-elite’ for the better part of 8 years?

I don’t hold that against him either - there have been heaps of top players whose athleticism waned in their late 20s. It just usually meant they retired. Benji’s longevity is entirely to his credit.

Easy to forget too that his prime was hardly a flash in the pan. 2005, 2008, 2010-11 were all good Benji-eras.

I was thinking this myself. Benji to 2011 was enigmatic with some amazing seasons between the injuries.

Since returning from Union (2014?) would he even be considered in the top 50% of halves?

The Benji special since then was a cut out landing in row three.

Still a great career and played a hell of a lot of games.

stryker

First Grade
He's not even close. Absurd to suggest he is really
He ticks a lot of boxes.
His game play changed the game AND had an impact beyond his career. He brought a huge amount of fans and commercial support to this game. He inspired a generation of kids to play this sport. He achieved most things possible, accolades wise.
Probably not in the highest echelons of players when it came to being a complete footballer, but due to his natural talent he could do things they couldn’t do without much fuss, he was a marketing dream for the code, kept cleanskin and had amazing longevity.
There is no doubt he is a giant of the sport

I was thinking this myself. Benji to 2011 was enigmatic with some amazing seasons between the injuries.

Since returning from Union (2014?) would he even be considered in the top 50% of halves?

The Benji special since then was a cut out landing in row three.

Still a great career and played a hell of a lot of games.

he lost half a yard of pace which was what made him so dangerous, but did reinvent himself as a solid game manager. Watching his early career he had the brilliance in his locker but had some shocking errors in his game. When he called time he was a more consistent player who didn’t have the howler in him.

Also, I think Sheens was an old school coach who would get the best out of Benji. Had he played under a coach like Bellamy his whole career, I don’t know if he’d have been the same player - he’s not a player to shoehorn into a structure, you want him to play what he sees.