What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji retires

Modern day legend of Rugby League, Benji Marshall, has called time on his incredible career, retiring from the sport today.

Marshall, Rabbitohs first grade player number 1167, played 19 seasons in the NRL, making his debut for the Wests Tigers in 2003 and playing his final game in the 2021 Grand Final for South Sydney against the Penrith Panthers at Suncorp Stadium.

Holding Kiwi player number 717, he has represented New Zealand in 31 Test matches (21 as captain), won an NRL premiership in 2005 with the Wests Tigers and played 346 NRL games for the Rabbitohs, Tigers, Dragons and Broncos which is a record for a New Zealand-born player. He also had a short stint in Super Rugby with the Auckland Blues in 2014 but quickly returned to his main sporting love of Rugby League.

Marshall, 36, was part of the Kiwis team that won the World Cup in 2008, was awarded the Golden Boot as the best player in the world in 2010, was crowned the Dally M five-eighth of the year in 2011 and was announced as the RLIF five-eighth of the year in 2009 and 2011.

Marshall inspired Rugby League players young and old with his mesmerising style of play. His ability to step off both feet at pace, his ability to throw no-look cut-out passes to open teammates, his willingness to put his body on the line in defence and his charismatic personality, have made him a favourite player to thousands of Rugby League players, Members and supporters from all clubs and nations alike.

Marshall is regarded by many as one of the next New Zealand-born candidates to be named in the NRL Hall of Fame and is in line to become the first New Zealander to be awarded Immortal status in the sport.

Marshall reflected on his amazing career this week.

“I feel privileged and grateful to have had the career that I have had,” Marshall said.

“I started as just a young kid from Whakatane who was chasing his dreams and will leave as a better man who reached those dreams. I cannot thank Rugby League enough for everything it has given me.

“I am extremely proud of my career. I’m proud of the longevity of playing 19 seasons, proud of winning a premiership, proud to represent my country and to win a World Cup, and I’m proud of winning a Golden Boot too.

Benji Marshall
“But the thing of which I’m most proud is the countless times I have had to pick myself up and fight back from the many setbacks that were thrown at me throughout my career.

“I want to thank the Wests Tigers, the St George Illawarra Dragons, the Brisbane Broncos and, of course, the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the opportunity to play for those great clubs. Special mention goes to the Tigers where I am a Life Member and it’s a club that has always been a big part of my life.

“Thank you to South Sydney for allowing me this opportunity to finish my career this way on a high and to go out on my terms.

“Thanks to all of the referees and volunteers of our great game. Thank you to all of the players I have played with and against. Thank you to all of my coaches over my career, especially Tim Sheens and Wayne Bennett, who have had the biggest impact on me.

“I want to thank the fans. It has been a pleasure to be able to play for you guys. Thank you for embracing the way that I played the game. To show my stuff on the big stage in front of you guys is the greatest feeling ever. To run out to a roaring crowd, there is nothing like it. That’s what I will miss the most, playing for you guys.

“I would like to thank my family. My parents Mick and Annalie Doherty and my mum Lydia Marshall, my brothers Jordan and Jeremy, my extended Marshall family and my friends.

“I would like to thank my kids, Fox and Ever, who are my ‘why’.

“Most importantly, I want to thank my wife Zoe who has been my rock, my constant source of support, for always believing in me and riding the highs and lows next to me. She has always sacrificed so much in order for me to continue living my dreams.

“I’ve got no doubts that I could have played on again next year, but now is the right time for me to call time on my football career and move on to the next adventure. Now it’s time for me to put my family first.”

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly paid tribute to one of the greats of the game.

“Benji Marshall has left an indelible mark not only on our Club, but on the entire sport over the past two decades. I’m sure he has left a positive imprint on the Tigers, Dragons and Broncos too, particularly the Tigers where he spent so many years captaining their club, guiding them to the 2005 premiership,” Mr Solly said.

“He has proudly captained his country, captained at club level and represented his Maori heritage.

“He has been an idol to so many aspiring footballers, boys and girls, over the years and it was an honour to have a player of his standing represent our Club.

Blake Solly
South Sydney Rabbitohs CEO
“It’s not only the quality football that he has played on the field for us in 2021, but it’s the knowledge he has passed on to everyone in our squad, from the seasoned veterans to the rookies.

“He hasn’t put a foot wrong off the field either, connecting deeply with our Members and corporate partners throughout the year, despite the tyranny of distance at times due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“He brought everything that we envisioned he would bring to our Club and more, and I know South Sydney has also left a mark on him too.

“We wish Benji, Zoe, Fox and Ever all the best with whatever comes next for him and his family. He will always be welcome at the Rabbitohs and they will always be part of the Rabbitohs’ family.”

Biography
Name: Benji Marshall
Date of Birth: 25 February 1985
Place of Birth: Whakatane, NZ
Position: Five-eighth/Halfback
Height: 183cm
Weight: 92kg
Junior Club: Keebra Park
Clubs: Rabbitohs (2021); Tigers (2003-13, 2018-20); Broncos (2017); Dragons (2014-16); Auckland Blues RU (2014)
NRL Games: 346 (22 for the Rabbitohs, 257 for the Tigers, 54 for the Dragons and 13 for the Broncos. Also played six Super Rugby matches for Auckland Blues RU)
NRL Points: 1232 (from 12 points for the Rabbitohs [three tries], 1181 points for Tigers [84 tries, 416 goals, 13 field goals], 35 points for Dragons [eight tries and three field goals] and four points for Broncos [from one try]. Also scored ten points for Auckland Blues RU from one try, one conversion and one penalty goal)
NRL Debut: Tigers vs Knights, Campbelltown Stadium, 27 July 2003 (Rd 20)
Club NRL Debut: Rabbitohs vs Storm, AAMI Park, Thursday 11 March 2021 (Rd 1)
NRL Premierships: One (2005 - Tigers)
Rep Honours: 31 Tests for New Zealand (2005-19); World Cup (2008-champions); Four Nations (2009-11); four games for NRL All Stars (2010-13); one game for Maori All Stars (2021)
Awards and Honours: 21 Tests as New Zealand captain (2009-19); NRL most capped New Zealand-born player of all-time (346 games); Golden Boot (2010); Dally M Five-eighth of the Year (2011); RLIF Five-eighth of the Year (2009, 2011); Inducted as a Life Member of Wests Tigers (2013); Wests Tigers player #70; Brisbane Broncos player #226; St George Illawarra Dragons player #181; South Sydney Rabbitohs player #1167; New Zealand Kiwis player #717

Benji Marshall Announces His Retirement - Rabbitohs

Charlie124

First Grade
Broke my heart in 2005 but he's easily been my favourite non-Cowboy player for well over a decade.

Congratulations on one hell of a career, Benji. You've been a pleasure to watch for 19 seasons.

Wizardman

First Grade
I am a Wests Tigers fan through and through. Some people have suggested making him an immortal on this thread. He is a LONG WAY AWAY from any immortal conversations. Beautiful player to watch, ultra skilful. I would not have got to see my team win a premiership without him....he is all those those things.
The big thing where he falls way short was consistency. All of the immortals showed excellence for a significant portion of their careers. Benji's years past 2011 are a long way short of what an immortal looks like.
No way should players like Allan Langer be overlooked for a player like Benji.

In saying that, league owes him a massive thanks for his contribution to our game. Some tigers fans (including myself at times) have mixed feeling about the bloke.....certainly without him, the Wests Tigers would be in a significantly worse place history wise than what they are today. Massive thanks Benji!

mxlegend99

Referee
he lost half a yard of pace which was what made him so dangerous, but did reinvent himself as a solid game manager. Watching his early career he had the brilliance in his locker but had some shocking errors in his game. When he called time he was a more consistent player who didn’t have the howler in him.

Also, I think Sheens was an old school coach who would get the best out of Benji. Had he played under a coach like Bellamy his whole career, I don’t know if he’d have been the same player - he’s not a player to shoehorn into a structure, you want him to play what he sees.
I always thought it was remarkable the way he reinvented himself. As he aged and lost a bit of that x factor he looked like he was becoming a bit of a joke.

But he changed him game up a bit and managed to extend his career being a damned fine half for probably another 100+ games after that.

Not sure about the immortal debate. But to be able to successfully extend your career as long as he did after losing the magic that made you great is pretty amazing.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Why DID his speed and footwork seem to fall off a cliff so dramatically circa about 2013? I mean I know I said it was common for guys to lose a yard, but Benji seemed to really drop off a cliff at a relatively young age. Like all of a sudden in his late 20s he went from a fast guy to a slow guy without any particular injury or anything to pin it on.

Willie Ray

Bench
great career with one of the best highlight reels,
had all the dash and flash when he was young,
then had to change his game when he got older.
showed a ton of heart and resilience to come back
from all those injuries early on...that's alot of rehab and physio.
his book is a good read also.
always seemed like a nice fella too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Great player to watch and very hard to dislike but my favourite play from him came in the 2010 finals games between the Roosters and West Tigers when Benji punched and started a scuffle with Mitchell Pearce when the Tigers were scoring a try and it was disallowed and it was one of many things that cost the Tigers a win in that wacky finals game.

Thoroughly enjoyed Bunji throwing cut-out passes onto Beverley Park Golf Course during 2014-16.

Seriously though the guy was a f**king legend in his prime. An absolute humdinger to watch.

Inspired every half playing today.

That pass in the 2005 Grand Final *chef's kiss*

Top bloke both on and off the field.

Even once punched Mitchell Pearce in the face which automatically puts him in the Immortal conversation.

Wish him all the best and good health for the future.

Why DID his speed and footwork seem to fall off a cliff so dramatically circa about 2013? I mean I know I said it was common for guys to lose a yard, but Benji seemed to really drop off a cliff at a relatively young age. Like all of a sudden in his late 20s he went from a fast guy to a slow guy without any particular injury or anything to pin it on.

he debuted in 03 and weighed about 70kg. After a million busted shoulders he packed on some weight to protect himself. By 2012ish he would have been around 90kg. My guess is the additional weight hurt his pace off the mark. Once he was in the clear he still had plenty of pace about him, it was just the explosiveness of the mark he lost.

^Yeah, I was gonna say he did gain a bit of weight. When he was at the Dragons he seemed slightly overweight though. When he was under Maguire, he got back to a good level of fitness but by then he was a lot older.

He's no doubt one of the most important players of all time for what he did for the Tigers and Kiwis. He gave the joint venture Tigers credibility with that 05 premiership, and he helped bring us the WC in 2008 breaking the Kangaroos stranglehold on the trophy.

I hated how Kearney & Kidwell froze him out of the Kiwis. Disgusting.

It's one of the great shames that he didn't play more tests with SBW. They only played 1.5 games together.

Grapple

Bench
Probably the greatest Kiwi NRL player to play the game. Absolute freakish one of a kind when he was younger. One of the bes t to watch in terms of attack. Only a handful come close to his skill and instinct.. Though it didn't always pay off, you gotta love that player. We all mature, and the same for Benji, which meant there were less highlights in his later years.

But he took his talent and went for it, and made a name for himself.

An Iconic great player who will be missed.