What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Rumour

DanOz

Juniors
There is a rumour that Benji will be granted a release at the end of this year to play rugby. No idea how true it is but I think it would be for the best on both sides. Build a team around Woods and Farah.

BrotherJim05

Bench
As long as we back the extra salary cap space up with some good f**king signings.

Letting Benji go will be a make or break decision.

Matchball

Bench
Benjis management always uses the Rugby threat against us.
Time to call his bluff and if it's true, bye bye and take Moltzen with you.

We have lots to look forward to with our juniors.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Benji Marshall quoted at the press call this morning –*"You guys know more than me. My contract negotiations have been the furthest thing from my mind"

Tiger05

First Grade
We have to call his bluff on this because the reality is he might not be any use to us going forward.

My understanding is that he has two years left. His contract from that period on should be worth the level of footy that he is producing up until that time period. If he chooses to leave early and we aren't paying his contract out that might be a positive.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Honestly believe him leaving would be best for both parties. Thanks for the memories, but it is time to move on.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
he still has a year to go on his contract I believe.

If he were to be released, we better make sure that we aren't paying a red cent to him next year.

We have to stop paying salaries to people who are no longer with the club, its killing us right now!

Matchball

Bench

If he were to be released, we better make sure that we aren't paying a red cent to him next year.

We have to stop paying salaries to people who are no longer with the club, its killing us right now!

I read that it ends 2015 so 2 more seasons.

Marshall is in negotiations to extend and upgrade his current deal, which runs through until the end of 2015, into a new five-year contract that will potentially be the last of his career.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...oach-mick-potter/story-fni3gpz1-1226649252527

Last edited:

Bench
Honestly believe him leaving would be best for both parties. Thanks for the memories, but it is time to move on.
I agree,Brooks and Moses are the future,and if Moses isn't ready Sirro can play 6 till he is,then move into the forwards.

Fordy20

Juniors

I'd like to think that one of the options available as part of renegotiating his contract would involve having it end at the end of this year.

Benji is lucky that he has an existing contract let alone a possible chance of a new contract extension,any other player that dribbled out that display last monday would of been hooked from the field and tapped on the shoulder telling them 'you are free to look else where as you are not in WT future plans'

Tiger05

First Grade
Benji is lucky that he has an existing contract let alone a possible chance of a new contract extension,any other player that dribbled out that display last monday would of been hooked from the field and tapped on the shoulder telling them 'you are free to look else where as you are not in WT future plans'

To be fair he has been great for the club but he is fast moving towards the no future contract to be offered list.

Blair must already be on that list. I assume Moltzen and Ayshford are as well and Lawrence is close.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I feel that the situation with Benji has become the same as it was with Sheens. 'Thanks you've done us proud but we need fresh blood and ideas and you need to move on elsewhere'.

He needs fresh challenges to reinvigorate him and hopefully get his mojo back. WT cannot do that for him.

Thanks Benji, I'll forever remember that 05 grand final flick pass, but time to move on. It is 2013 now.

hutch

First Grade
The best thing that could happen is that he plays his way into form. Why anyone would let him go before his contract finishes astounds me.

Tiger05

First Grade
The best thing that could happen is that he plays his way into form. Why anyone would let him go before his contract finishes astounds me.

I agree however we shouldn't be extending his contract until we have a better idea if he is worth another contract.

I'd love to see him play another 4 years at the top level and leave with another premiership whilst changing his game so that he shows he wasn't just a flash runner of the footy who lost that ability when he got older and then couldn't compete. To do this though he has to defend well , get his overall game in good order and most importantly to me take the right options 9 times out of 10.

super_coach

First Grade
He is under contract till 2015, now Iam not sure if that is to the end of season 2015?? Anyway the club is about to honor a deal that Humpty made with Benji, and that was to grant him a increase in line with the cap increase.So the bottom line we are about to pay the little oxygen thief more money. Madness is a word that comes to mind, I highly doubt their is any substance in him going to rugby, but fingers and toes crossed it might come true

Vic Mackey

Referee
I know great juniors don't always go onto be great first graders but Moses and particuarly Brooks look like they can't miss. Holding onto benji and risking losing one or both of these blokes is crazy

BrotherJim05

Bench
Aaron woods is off contract at the end of 2014......whatever happens we must retain Woodsy. Its such a shame Fifita was released. They would have made such a brutal pair.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
There is a rumour that Benji will be granted a release at the end of this year to play rugby. No idea how true it is but I think it would be for the best on both sides. Build a team around Woods and Farah.

I can't believe there is any thing in this because I can't believe there would be a Rugby club that would want him on his current form. If there was a rugby club crazy enough to want him I doubt they would pay more than what his current contract is worth.

Benji should take control of the contract negotiations and admit to playing poorly and say he doesn't want any contract discussion until his form deserves an upgrade.