What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji

MasterTiger

Juniors
Thanks for the memory's Benji. One hell of a player who didn't conform to stereotype football and provided entertainment. Never forget the flickpass in the 2005 GF and the day at Sharkpark when stepped , shimmied bamboozled the defence then threw a no look pass to support. One of the most brilliant plays I have ever seen.

stryker

First Grade
Played with passion and a flair that a generation tried to copy.
His highlights vids on YouTube still amaze me, and I saw some of them live.
Won a GF, won a WC, captained his country, won a golden boot….the bloke achieved a lot.
This club and the game of Rugby League are both the better for him having played for them.
Congrats Benj, you done well.

Das Hassler

Bench
If you gathered. ..as has been done. .the best of Benji's highlight moments and clip them at 20 seconds each it would go the length of a feature movie....he'd own the the bulk of the top 50 if not 100 . I've also been a massive fan of Valentino Rossi who's career in MotoGP has been a bit of a parallel of Benji's...both retired this year after astonishingly long careers of out and out individual brilliance and have both been the once in a lifetime icons and the biggest mainstream attractions of their respective sports. Funny thing is that so many commentators seem uncomfortable in mentioning Benj as a future immortal...it's really funny actually when you consider the defining attributes required to be mominated.
Also i hope whatever can be resolved to get him to do a lap at LO whenever the ground is filled next year...he may have had an issue with the management but that has nothing to do with the fans.

Das Hassler

Bench
A couple of years ago a guy who i'd helped along the way in the sport we're both involved with called to say he wanted to drop by with a little thank you gift ....he does ok so i was expecting maybe a bottle of something expensively good but instead it was a signed Benji jersey he'd picked up at a charity auction ....he's not a WT supporter at all but he bought it for himself as he's a massive fan of Benji's...that says a lot.

Saw his 1st game out at the Leumeah Stadium, great career, fondly remembered as possibly the best NZ rugby player of all time. As Robbie Farah called him, the rock star of rugby league.

On the back of 5 shoulder reconstructions by the age of 22.

Thanks for the memory.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
To have the long career that he did following the injuries early in his career is remarkable and says alot about the qualities that made him such a great player.

I had a feeling that this might be on the cards.

Benji Marshall will work as a pundit on Fox Sport's coverage of the NRL, but his old club Wests Tigers are hoping to lure him back to the place his career started.

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis has revealed plans to reunite Marshall with two more club legends, Robbie Farah and Tim Sheens, on the team's coaching staff.

stryker

First Grade
Hey Benji, come on back to the club that’s f**ked you off twice..we’ll get you to sell some hats…

Das Hassler

Bench
Actually as is being widely reported we never got rid of him the first time ..he was offered a more modest contract than he wanted on the back of a lengthy spell of career worst form so he got upset and left...he's admitted that was the case when he returned but as per usual never let the truth get in the way of a chance to give the tigers another kicking

The Rosco

Bench
Saw his 1st game out at the Leumeah Stadium, great career, fondly remembered as possibly the best NZ rugby player of all time. As Robbie Farah called him, the rock star of rugby league.

On the back of 5 shoulder reconstructions by the age of 22.

Thanks for the memory.
Yeah, OTT I was there too. Took my then 10yr old daughter ( Knights fan). Couldn't properly celebrate the win, couldn't properly celebrate what I just witnessed . . . didn't want to rub it into the poor kid.
Later . . I was lucky enough to meet Benji at the Leichhardt game vs Souths where Skando and Peachey retired. In the dressing room before and after, on the ground to form the guard of honour for Skando & Peach. Met dawn Fraser that day too !.
Benji was a great bloke, happy to listen to me jibber on. We shared a laugh and a beer.
My bestest father's day ever.

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah, OTT I was there too. Took my then 10yr old daughter ( Knights fan). Couldn't properly celebrate the win, couldn't properly celebrate what I just witnessed . . . didn't want to rub it into the poor kid.
Later . . I was lucky enough to meet Benji at the Leichhardt game vs Souths where Skando and Peachey retired. In the dressing room before and after, on the ground to form the guard of honour for Skando & Peach. Met dawn Fraser that day too !.
Benji was a great bloke, happy to listen to me jibber on. We shared a laugh and a beer.
My bestest father's day ever.
Good to know it not only here, you jibber on😂

But a good story.

simmo1

First Grade
Just about every run of good form this club has had in its history has come off the back of Benji. I daresay, we'd be playing out of Perth or in NSW Cup if not for him. A fantastic player and role model for the game. Deserves all the best in retirement.

WA Tiger

Bench
Best player to play for the club, and there is no close second. Farah, Tedesco, Ellis, Prince, Hodgson - none come close to the impact he had on the game or the club.
With time, instead of Benji being judged for what he is doing now, he will be judged next to all the greats, when they were at their best, on the field. Then, The other dramas that seems to surround him for some people, may seem less important.

As you say, he changed how the game was played. He had the courage to try things that others were afraid of…In fact he would then go on to master them.

That flick pass in 05 couldn’t have landed better…insanely accurate. Benji was as comfortable with that pass as virtually any other then.

I was impressed when asked recently, about when he changed his style as he got slower..He said in fact he’d been adding things to his game for the last 12 years ….He said you simply have to add things to your game every year to stay competitive....That’s new, and explains a lot..

Ive loved every minute of watching Benji play, from start to finish. Although I missed a lot of his very early stuff..

Last edited: