What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji's management concerned about over-use

Blocker Shaw

Juniors
From today's SMH

Meanwhile, the management of 18-year-old Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall has expressed concerns about the effect his meteoric rise to first grade has had on his schooling.

Marshall, a late inclusion against Brisbane last weekend, has again been chosen in first grade for Saturday night's game against Penrith. This is despite indications from the joint venture club that Marshall's debut last month would be his only top-grade appearance until next year.

"Benji's got his HSC coming up and we'd like him to be able to concentrate on it," said Michael Robinson, of Marshall's management, the Touber Group. "Any 18-year-old wants to play first grade but we are very intent that Benji's education is not harmed.

"He's not just a talented footballer. Benji is an extremely good student, he is a gifted basketballer and the lead singer in a band. He should be allowed to enjoy his youth.

"Having said that, I'm sure Wests Tigers will want to protect their investment in Benji. He has a lot of football ahead of
him."

Robinson said the teenager had not decided whether he wanted to eventually represent Queensland or New Zealand,
who are already vying for his services.

Manly's Solomon Haumono and Ben MacDougall were fined about $500 each yesterday for missing training.

"There was also a warning that they face sterner action if they transgress again," said Sea Eagles football manager Peter Peters.

Knights football manager Mark Sargent is planning to meet fullback Robbie O'Davis today in a bid to resolve a dispute over his new contract offer.

O'Davis described as "a kick in the arse" the club's request he take a 75 per cent pay cut.

"I don't think we make offers to kick people in the arse," chief executive Ken Conway said. "It's a fine balancing act."

Elsewhere, interchanged referees will be trialled in round 25 following a suggestion from Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens.

The club did not believe rookie match official Jason Robinson should have been given an entire game to control in round
22, when he failed to send off South Sydney captain Bryan Fletcher, who went on to score the winning try.

For the South Sydney-Cronulla and Wests Tigers-North Queensland games on August 30 and 31, young referees are
expected to be sent out in the middle of each half.

Robinson has again been given a whole game to control, however: Saturday night's North Queensland-South Sydney
game at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

BJ

Juniors
They said something on nrl on fox tonight about his school not being too happy about him being selected again this week..
all along sheens has said that he wants benji to finish his schooling and do well so i don't think now when it comes to the business end of benji's year he's not going to jeopordise that..
i'd sya if benji is training with the team he will no doubt have a tutor of some kind helping him each night..
and having completing my hsc last year i know that straight after trials you've got a good couple of months b4 ur hsc which starts mid october so one week won't hurt him..

Western Tiger

Juniors
What are they complaining about, he just finished his trials didnt he? I done nothing for the first 2 or 3 weeks after my trials, neither did most of my mates. Most boys just have a break anyway. pppfttt! study! BAH!

Tigerpete

Juniors
You can bet ur life we're not the first club of any sport in the world to do this to a school kid, he's got the talent so why not utilise it? And as for the argument of too much too soon....well we cant really use it, IF he plays every match left this season he will have played 5 games, thats nto a great deal.

innsaneink

Referee
Western Tiger said:
What are they complaining about, he just finished his trials didnt he? I done nothing for the first 2 or 3 weeks after my trials, neither did most of my mates. Most boys just have a break anyway. pppfttt! study! BAH!
.Excuse me for bein an old fart....but what are trials?
Practice exams?
18 year old dont have trials..
theyre parents do!!! LOL :lol:

Western Tiger

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Western Tiger said:
Practice exams?

They are the yearly exams set by the school. After that you have a month or so to study for your HSC exams which is worth 50% of everthing you do in year 12.

Western Tiger

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Western Tiger said:
Practice exams?

They are the yearly exams set by the school. After that you have a month or so to study for your HSC exams which is worth 50% of everthing you do in year 12.