What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

johns_reds

First Grade
I think the biggest things he's changed are:
1) The attitude that the club should put local players before quality imports. The premiership was built on the efforts of Weyman, J Smith, N Fien, etc. As long as the club goes for quality over loyalty to locals we can get some squads on the park that don't have weak players which is where we have an advantage over other teams.
2) No superstars hogging the cap. No situation like in Nth Qld or Parra where one or two players hog the cap forcing the club to put dregs into the 17.
3) Standardised training across all the squad. When we lost Hunt last year it was pretty dire but others stepped up because they were ready to do so. Saved our season.
4) Consistency. The big missing factor prior to Bennett. If Steve Price can maintain the attitude of the squad we'll stay good but who knows.

Too late, Gasnier's contract was backended so he is going to take up quite a few $$$ over the next couple of years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm telling you now there is zero chance Bennett goes to Brisbane. It will be either Souths or Newcastle.

2 months ago you said he was already signed with the rabbitohs. Now it's either souths or Newcastle.
And again, where did your rd 1 prediction go?

2010Dragons

Bench
Thank you for the memories....I waited 31 years for someone to come to my club and fix my beloved Saints....mission accomplished.

He came...2009
He fixed it...2010
He conquered....2011
He left....2012

And now the PRICE IS RIGHT...work out that hint.

Zoggy

Juniors
I think the pressure is on the next club he goes to. He's won a title with the Dragons and Broncs. The Fans of his new club will be expecting a title.

The pressure is on for who ever gets him next.

CMUX

He will go to Brisbane. The only other possibilities IMO are Gold Coast (unlikely) or full time QLD coach (unlikely). If it is true that he is home sick and wants to return home then those are the only options.

to_ddeath

Coach
Thanks for everything Mr.Bennett.
Apologies for our sh*thouse CEO, he should've given you greater certainty by keeping you for
another 2 seasons.
All the best,

T.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Thanks for everything Mr.Bennett.
Apologies for our sh*thouse CEO, he should've given you greater certainty by keeping you for
another 2 seasons.
All the best,

T.

It has nothing to do with the initial contract length. Doust did the right thing in signing him for 3 years, even if we signed him for 5 years, you're deluding yourself if you think the club wouldn't have let him go after 3 had he wanted to.

Contracts are merely a formality with a coach like Bennett.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He will go to Brisbane. The only other possibilities IMO are Gold Coast (unlikely) or full time QLD coach (unlikely). If it is true that he is home sick and wants to return home then those are the only options.
It won't be the Gold Coast, they just signed their coach for 5 years. He's going nowhere even if they get the spoon.

Brisbane has the "been there done that" factor. Going back there is redundant.

We have a squad ready to win. I'd put money on a 3peat if we signed him for 3 years.

And if he doesn't go here he'll go to Newcastle.

For all you nuffys saying Brisbane is a done deal, if it was a done deal it would be announced today. Do you really think someone who doesn't like the media like Bennett would have 2 days with press frenzy around him and a press conference when he could have done it in 1?

He says he hasn't made his mind up. I believe it.

As for the supposed whispers in the rumours where our officials are supposedly saying we haven't got him...firstly that could be completely 100% fabricated (wouldn't be the first time), secondly, they could just be playing.

Remember when the Roosters lost him because it got announced too early. Well look who are the ones in the headlines who have supposedly already got him when he insists he hasn't made up his mind. The Broncos. The Broncos will not get him.

He will go for the never to be beaten record of premiership with 3 different clubs with Souths or Newcastle. 3 year contract with one of those teams. Then he will go back to the Broncos as coaching director with Lockyer as coach.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
It won't be the Gold Coast, they just signed their coach for 5 years. He's going nowhere even if they get the spoon.

Brisbane has the "been there done that" factor. Going back there is redundant.

We have a squad ready to win. I'd put money on a 3peat if we signed him for 3 years.

And if he doesn't go here he'll go to Newcastle.

For all you nuffys saying Brisbane is a done deal, if it was a done deal it would be announced today. Do you really think someone who doesn't like the media like Bennett would have 2 days with press frenzy around him and a press conference when he could have done it in 1?

He says he hasn't made his mind up. I believe it.

As for the supposed whispers in the rumours where our officials are supposedly saying we haven't got him...firstly that could be completely 100% fabricated (wouldn't be the first time), secondly, they could just be playing.

Remember when the Roosters lost him because it got announced too early. Well look who are the ones in the headlines who have supposedly already got him when he insists he hasn't made up his mind. The Broncos. The Broncos will not get him.

He will go for the never to be beaten record of premiership with 3 different clubs with Souths or Newcastle. 3 year contract with one of those teams. Then he will go back to the Broncos as coaching director with Lockyer as coach.

Why the f*ck would he go to your club? Your star player is a fat lazy tosser, your forwards are overrated and you have the worst halves combination in the comp.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Bennett won't be coming to Souths.
If you had to choose, the Broncos would obviously be the favourites.

In terms of the Saints, I would not be too worried as Pricey will do a fantastic job IMHO.

taxidriver

Coach

images

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Bennett is homesick, moving to Souths or Newcastle to coach won't happen at all.

I highly doubt he'll coach any team south of the NSW-QLD border.