What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Johns Magic

Referee
Reporter #346: "Wayne, have you made a decision about where you're going to go next year, and you're going to wait until the end of the season to announce it?"
Bennett: "Have you been sleepin' over there?"

:lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Official release - Bennett to leave Dragons at seasons' end

The St George Illawarra Dragons today announce that Head Coach Wayne Bennett has decided not to extend his contract with the Club and will depart at the end of this season.

Bennett, 61, joined the St.George Bank Dragons after 21 years at the Broncos in 2009 and has successfully led the club to back-to-back Minor Premierships and the NRL Premiership and World Club Challenge.

“My time at the Dragons has been some of the most enjoyable of my coaching career,” said Bennett. “I have worked with a Board and CEO who have been totally supportive of all things required to make a rugby league club work from a coaching point of view.

“I have also worked with an extremely dedicated and outstanding group of young men that is the football team and the staff that supports the team has also been a pleasure to work with.

“However, I believe that we have achieved what my arrival at St George Illawarra was all about, the Premiership and in view of that, I think it is right for me to leave at the end of the season.

“I indicated to Peter Doust in the off season that I probably wouldn't extend my stay but that I was not 100 per cent sure and would consider my future.
“Since this time the Club have far exceeded my expectations in a bid to have me remain as Coach at the Dragons and whilst I am aware that the great majority of officials, staff, players and fans would be happy if I continued as Head Coach, there is an overriding feeling within me that says the job has been done and it is time to move on.

“I told Peter Doust when I arrived at the Dragons that I would remain as long as it took and if it didn't fall within a reasonable timeframe then I was extremely confident that they wouldn't be too far off.

“Whilst there were no certainties that we could win a Premiership, I was always confident that we would put ourselves in a good position either on my watch or for the next Coach at the Dragons.

“The financial offer from the Dragons was extremely gracious and far exceeded my expectations but for me it is not about the money, it is about moving onto the next challenge and so it is with sincere gratitude and thanks that I express my appreciation for the way I have been received by all who are either a part of the Club or the magnificent members and supporters of the big “red v” who have stood behind me since my first day at the Dragons.

“My commitment and dedication to the Club will not waiver with this decision, we still have a long season ahead of us and it will be business as usual for me, the staff and players,” added Bennett.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said the Club supported Bennett's decision, despite trying to entice him to extend his stay.

“Wayne will forever hold a special place in the Club's history,” said Doust. “It is no secret that we wanted him to stay and we certainly tried a number of avenues to get him to stay but we respect his decision and we will thank him and wish him well at the end of this season.

“Wayne first indicated to me in the off season that he was thinking that it was time for a new challenge. Since this time I have presented a number of different options to him to try and get him to extend his stay, whilst at the same time conducting ‘due diligence' should he definitely confirm that it was time for him to move on.

“Wayne confirmed to me recently that he had made up his mind that it was time for him to move on. I discussed this with the Board and also updated them as to where I was up to with the ‘contingency' and as a result we have secured Steve Price for two years from next season”.

“Steve is a very astute and professional coach who has been a part of our coaching staff since 2002,” added Doust. “Steve is highly respected by our playing group and indeed Wayne Bennett and we believe he has served the best possible apprenticeship under Wayne.

Dragons Captain Ben Hornby indicated that players were keen to see Wayne stay on at the Club, but totally respected his decision.

“Wayne has done and will continue to give everything he has to us and we all respect his decision,” said Hornby.

“Naturally we wanted him to stay but it would be selfish of us to expect him to stay when his head and heart are telling him he needs to move on. We are grateful for what he has brought to us as individuals and to our Club.

“We know that he will continue to support us and the Club for the remainder of this season and we are only up to Round 4 so there is a long way to go”.

“The players and I are confident our Club will continue to be successful with Pricey at the helm after Wayne leaves and are happy that he has been chosen to fulfil this role from next year”.

*Please note that Wayne Bennett is yet to make a decision on his Coaching future beyond this season

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20712

Perth Red

Post Whore
Damn was hoping he'd stay another year and then take on the big challenge of developing an NRL team in WA!

Mr Saab

Referee
Reporter #346: "Wayne, have you made a decision about where you're going to go next year, and you're going to wait until the end of the season to announce it?"

And people wonder why Wayne has very little time for the ding bats in media. (apart from ABC Grandstand)

jonno_knights

Juniors
Maybe he hasnt made a decision yet, because the 'decision' could be in the hands of the Newcastle members tomorrow night.

_Johnsy

Referee

Russell "The new wake up Jeff" Fairfax

user_nat

Coach
I don't think he will be back to Brisbane.

Whilst we aren't going as well as we have in the past, I hardly think coming back here would be the challenge he keeps talking about.

I also think Lockyer would have played 1 more if he was coming back (and he probably knows what WB is doing).

BunniesMan

Immortal
Key word Bennett used is "challenge". What would be challenging about going to a 1 city team in "rugby league heartland" and doing the same thing he did for 2 decades?

It's not about money. Bennett has plenty of it and whoever he goes to, he will be choosing between 7 figure contracts.

Souths, Newcastle...perhaps the Cowboys as an outside chance. They're the only places that best fit the words the man himself has used.

What could be a bigger challenge than ending Souths 40 year drought?

Dragon Dave

Bench
Key word Bennett used is "challenge". What would be challenging about going to a 1 city team in "rugby league heartland" and doing the same thing he did for 2 decades?

It's not about money. Bennett has plenty of it and whoever he goes to, he will be choosing between 7 figure contracts.

Souths, Newcastle...perhaps the Cowboys as an outside chance. They're the only places that best fit the words the man himself has used.

What could be a bigger challenge than ending Souths 40 year drought?

There's a difference between a challenge and a death wish. Ask John Lang.

Mr Saab

Referee
Wayne would have a big challenge at the Broncos. A bunch of kids he can help mould into champions.
Besides, he has his family up there and being away from them for another three yrs seems unlikely.
Coaching Souffs and dealing with Russell Crowe seems like a major migraine

Patorick

Staff member

LOL @ Fairfax.

Bennett owned him there.

Latest posts