What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett makes move on Dragon’s young gun.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Dragons young gun was left fuming at his ‘harsh’ axing. Now Bennett has made his move
The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield has revealed super coach Wayne Bennett has reached out to Dragons young gun Junior Amone regarding a potential Dolphins switch.
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin made a huge change to his side two rounds ago, swapping genuine prospects Tyrell Sloan and Junior Amone out for experienced players Jack Bird and Moses Mbye.
Amone’s situation in recent weeks has prompted the legendary coach to pounce as he attempts to fill his roster for the 2023 season.
“I do know Wayne Bennett has reached out in the last week to Junior Amone, he is after a halfback, he is after a five-eighth,” Rothfield said on NRL 360.
“I am sure he is not the only young half that Wayne is looking at.”
Griffin decided to drop the pair after what he deemed poor performances, revealing his decision came down to development.
After the Dragons defeat against the Rabbitohs, Griffin said that fullback Tyrell Sloan will return “when the time is right”.
Buzz Rothfield explained that Sloan ”was not okay” with being dropped from the first grade side, but The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent fired back.
“They shouldn’t be okay with it, but get over it, that is was rugby league is,” Kent said.
“Once you play first grade you don’t have this divine right to then stay in first grade for the rest of your career.
“They shouldn’t be sulking around, get better.”
“You want them to be happy about being sacked?” Rothfield asked.
“No, but I don’t want them to sook about it, I want them to get better, take your medicine go away and get better.”
While he may be displeased about being out of favour at the Dragons, the NRL360 panel was unanimous in stating that Sloan will remain at the St George Illawarra club after inking a long-term contract.
But the same couldn’t be said for Amone.
“I think they are looking back and a lot of their heartache is coming from looking at the way their replacements are playing and there has been absolutely no improvement in the side,” Rothfield said.
“And I think they believe they could do better and they have been harshly treated.”
URL LINK: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/76eeb3b81ac7de8aff38c9107c2c514d

Last edited by a moderator:

BBTB

Juniors
Dragons young gun was left fuming at his ‘harsh’ axing. Now Bennett has made his move
The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield has revealed super coach Wayne Bennett has reached out to Dragons young gun Junior Amone regarding a potential Dolphins switch.
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin made a huge change to his side two rounds ago, swapping genuine prospects Tyrell Sloan and Junior Amone out for experienced players Jack Bird and Moses Mbye.
Amone’s situation in recent weeks has prompted the legendary coach to pounce as he attempts to fill his roster for the 2023 season.
“I do know Wayne Bennett has reached out in the last week to Junior Amone, he is after a halfback, he is after a five-eighth,” Rothfield said on NRL 360.
Griffin decided to drop the pair after what he deemed poor performances, revealing his decision came down to development.
After the Dragons defeat against the Rabbitohs, Griffin said that fullback Tyrell Sloan will return “when the time is right”.
Buzz Rothfield explained that Sloan ”was not okay” with being dropped from the first grade side, but The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent fired back.
“They shouldn’t be okay with it, but get over it, that is was rugby league is,” Kent said.
“Once you play first grade you don’t have this divine right to then stay in first grade for the rest of your career.
“No, but I don’t want them to sook about it, I want them to get better, take your medicine go away and get better.”
While he may be displeased about being out of favour at the Dragons, the NRL360 panel was unanimous in stating that Sloan will remain at the St George Illawarra club after inking a long-term contract.
“I think they are looking back and a lot of their heartache is coming from looking at the way their replacements are playing and there has been absolutely no improvement in the side,” Rothfield said.
“And I think they believe they could do better and they have been harshly treated.”
Love the way Kenty" responded to Buzz , & he's right. Let's see what these two young men are made of.
Must admit both Sloan & Amone played that game against the Shonks with no
Heart.......Looking for somewhere to hide,particularly in defence. They where not ready for what the Shonks through at them.

blacksafake

First Grade
Love the way Kenty" responded to Buzz , & he's right. Let's see what these two young men are made of.
Must admit both Sloan & Amone played that game against the Shonks with no
Heart.......Looking for somewhere to hide,particularly in defence. They where not ready for what the Shonks through at them.
People forget they’ve only played against kids their own age up til now, relying on their natural talent playing “touch footy”

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Gotta love journalism and their hedging of bets:

"Bennett makes move on Dragons young gun", followed by:
"I'm sure he's not the only young half Wayne is looking at"

So, if Wayne signs or doesnt sign Jr, they are correct. The 'told you so' theorum and hook (pardon the pun), line and sinker for some.

Dragon David

First Grade
Fair call, but it might be as a form of protection rather than punishment….?
Certainly wouldn't be for punishment Inisai. Amone needs more time building himself up and learning more about awareness on the footy field. Build his confidence up, practise more variable kicking, building and bulking his body, looking at videos of the better 5/8ths' running around and train to emulate some of the things they do.

There are so many things that the young ones still need to do in their growing up transition from juniors to firsts in my opinion. I'm basically saying that they are really not just ready.

BBTB

Juniors
Certainly wouldn't be for punishment Inisai. Amone needs more time building himself up and learning more about awareness on the footy field. Build his confidence up, practise more variable kicking, building and bulking his body, looking at videos of the better 5/8ths' running around and train to emulate some of the things they do.

There are so many things that the young ones still need to do in their growing up transition from juniors to firsts in my opinion. I'm basically saying that they are really not just ready.
Exactly, Sloane & Amone, are not ready & Sullivan is presently in Reserves. That's exactly the place for them.

BLM01

First Grade
URL LINK: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/76eeb3b81ac7de8aff38c9107c2c514d
Sounds like a player manager contacted a journo or even Bennett to tell him Amone is unhappy with his move to the bench and then to run with the story to pressure the coach to start him at 5/8th. That is what they do...all the time. Boring.

BBTB

Juniors
Sounds like a player manager contacted a journo or even Bennett to tell him Amone is unhappy with his move to the bench and then to run with the story to pressure the coach to start him at 5/8th. That is what they do...all the time. Boring.
Buzz wouldn't know if u where up him, until u coughed.

Exactly, Sloane & Amone, are not ready & Sullivan is presently in Reserves. That's exactly the place for them.
So why did Hook plan our season around them, only to realise after Round 3 that they weren't up to scratch? They looked plenty good at the back end of 2021. It says a lot for Hook and Co's methods that the youngsters are going backwards on their watch. If only we could have made an offer to Nicho Hynes instead of wasting our dosh on Woods / Mbye / Burgess who have, to date, given us slightly less than nothing,

BBTB

Juniors
So why did Hook plan our season around them, only to realise after Round 3 that they weren't up to scratch? They looked plenty good at the back end of 2021. It says a lot for Hook and Co's methods that the youngsters are going backwards on their watch. If only we could have made an offer to Nicho Hynes instead of wasting our dosh on Woods / Mbye / Burgess who have, to date, given us slightly less than nothing,
I guess they tried the cheapassed approach. That stands in reason with the Gordon's. Got in to our club,for next to nothing,and now won't spend one dollar.
We are now as members & fans suffering these consequences.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd say it is a case of Possm's "Millward mess" that has pervaded the club for some years and the "virus" has taken Hook in it's grasp and all of the current recruitment and retention staff are suffering as well.

There would have been so much time and attention placed on who to get and who to retain a couple on months before the end of last season surely. If so, we now know who they had in mind and the players are as per our 30 man squad. Keeping within the salary cap budget was the main thing, bugger who we sign provided they had "experience" that will do the club not will they give us the winning edge every week?

Besides all of what I have said, which probably doesn't make any sense anyway, as I have eaten too many easter eggs and gone cuckoo, NOTB is right about our dosh being wasted.

be55

Juniors
People forget they’ve only played against kids their own age up til now, relying on their natural talent playing “touch footy”

Well Hook has done the right thing. Back to Reserve grade to learn ur trade.

Fair call, but it might be as a form of protection rather than punishment….?

So basically you are all saying that they weren't ready for 1st grade in the first place. And if that's the case you'd surely have to endorse @Number of the Beath's comment below...

So why did Hook plan our season around them, only to realise after Round 3 that they weren't up to scratch? They looked plenty good at the back end of 2021. It says a lot for Hook and Co's methods that the youngsters are going backwards on their watch.

And before anyone says that their form wasn't that great last year, you would have to say it was much better than what they showed in the early rounds this year before they were dropped.

In the off season Hook was asked about the fullback and five-eighth roles and who was going to fill these positions, and if the club was going to go to market for players. Hook always stated that these roles would be filled internally by Sloan, Ramsey and Amone etc. Even Bird has said that he trained exclusively as an edge forward in the off season and not at stand-off, which undoubtedly showed Hook's belief that Amone was his man for five-eighth.

The way i see it is that by him dropping players after 3 rounds, players that he selected all the way back in pre-season to fill these positions in the spine, he is admitting that either he got these selections wrong or these players have gone backwards under his watch...

Wouldn't you agree ?

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Said before Bennett is not the good guy everyone thinks As its all about money now coaches and players (and Id do the same) , he is all about Himself and a shifty old so and so ....... But in saying that he doesn't give 2 hoots about what he does to get a winning team ......
Lol you sad pathetic merkin

So basically you are all saying that they weren't ready for 1st grade in the first place. And if that's the case you'd surely have to endorse @Number of the Beath's comment below...

And before anyone says that their form wasn't that great last year, you would have to say it was much better than what they showed in the early rounds this year before they were dropped.

In the off season Hook was asked about the fullback and five-eighth roles and who was going to fill these positions, and if the club was going to go to market for players. Hook always stated that these roles would be filled internally by Sloan, Ramsey and Amone etc. Even Bird has said that he trained exclusively as an edge forward in the off season and not at stand-off, which undoubtedly showed Hook's belief that Amone was his man for five-eighth.

The way i see it is that by him dropping players after 3 rounds, players that he selected all the way back in pre-season to fill these positions in the spine, he is admitting that either he got these selections wrong or these players have gone backwards under his watch...

Wouldn't you agree ?
That's exactly what I was saying, be55

Latest posts