What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

Country Dragon

Juniors
I get your point, but he didn’t hold a gun to the boards head to sign Price, nor he compound that error by giving McGregor the last 4 years, that’s on the inept management.
He took Darius, a no brainer he would follow, Smith, old on his last legs, Costigan, old on his last legs, Scott, who we could have used, and McKinnon, who while I appreciate the tradegdy, I didn’t rate anyway.

If he comes the condition would be JD comes too..........wait? Who am I kidding, there’s no conditions, just get us out of this hole the board has dug for us.
If I remember correctly, We had the chance to keep Scott ( which we should of) but chose not too.
Jeremy Smith was one of my favourite players in that side, but we had also seen his best.
The rest should have been covered by a competent coach/board, IMO!

Gm5

Juniors
If I'm being honest Scott leaving never really bothered me. He was a shell of himself after he left. At most we could have gotten maybe another year or two out of him

nontime111

Juniors
I like the look of your team, but I would also find room for Graham on the bench. He is still better than Korbin or Lawrie.

I wonder if Bennett would be looking to play Hunt at hooker again and therefore be looking for a new halfback. He also played Widdop at fullback for England. Would that mean that Bennett may be looking for a new 5/8? If so would he want to keep Widdop or Dufty for fullback? Just a bit of food for thought.
I think Grahams too old now so left him out and Id give Dufty more time also hes special

ju2au

Juniors
My only concern is why don’t the Donkeys want him any more?

Nothing wrong with his age, if anything his achievements and experience are priceless, as are his failures.

But why don’t the Donkeys want him?

From memory, the Broncos board was pissed at Bennett signing Matt Lodge. It brought unwanted controversy and attention to the club. But the straw that broke the camel's back was when Wayne walked out on his wife of many years and got himself a new mistress. Just not a good look for a family oriented club like the Brisbane Broncos.

possm

Coach
From memory, the Broncos board was pissed at Bennett signing Matt Lodge. It brought unwanted controversy and attention to the club. But the straw that broke the camel's back was when Wayne walked out on his wife of many years and got himself a new mistress. Just not a good look for a family oriented club like the Brisbane Broncos.

I think you are right on the money and that is the reason why the Dragons have a great chance to sign him for 2019. After he left he said he enjoyed his term and like the Club and it's location. It would be a new start for him and his partner.

ouryears

Bench
I don't understand this Bennett love as people have short term memories. He left Saints with the biggest mess it was not funny as they were in great shape when he got the club. He also had no care in the world by taking their key players and a few juniors. Then he recommends Price. That is probably the worst of the lot. OK he gave us one of our greatest memories for a while but he has given us a world of pain since which I don't want to go through again when he leaves us high and dry AGAIN. He left the Knights in a bigger mess so he does have good form and will leave the Bronco's in bad shape as well.

Bring in his assistant Demitriou if Maguire is unavailable before they consider Bennett. Demitriou will have the Siebold, Robinson and Maguiore effect and have the team flying from day 1 as a rookie coach.
He didn’t do any of what you list.
Except say price was a good replacement.

The few players who left did so because our offers were shite.

We did all this to ourselves, hopeless board, and putting up with Mary for years, not offering decent money to some players who did move on......blaming others instead of doust and co is a cop out.

saints4ever

First Grade
I cant understand the hate Bennett gets from some fans that say he left the club in bad shape?
How? What did he do?
Left the salary cap in a mess? Bullshit. He was hired to do one thing. Win a comp. He wanted five years to do it. They gave him three. He did it in two.
He ripped our playing roster apart. Bullshit. Who did he take? Boyd? Was always going to happen. Smith and Cuthbertson were recruits during his time as well. And Alex M. Wow. Four players, only 1 of which was a genuine starter. Costigan was already gone.
Scott went the year after. We offered him puzzling money because we went after Frizzell instead.

I cant understand the hate Bennett gets from some fans that say he left the club in bad shape?
How? What did he do?
Left the salary cap in a mess? Bullshit. He was hired to do one thing. Win a comp. He wanted five years to do it. They gave him three. He did it in two.
He ripped our playing roster apart. Bullshit. Who did he take? Boyd? Was always going to happen. Smith and Cuthbertson were recruits during his time as well. And Alex M. Wow. Four players, only 1 of which was a genuine starter. Costigan was already gone.
Scott went the year after. We offered him puzzling money because we went after Frizzell instead.
Yep, we did it to ourselves by appointing nufties as coaches for the next 7 years.

Just watched the latest Bennett interview.

He seems hell bent on finishing his career in Brisbane.

Broncos don't want to offer him an extension.

No suggestion they intend to sack him.

Darius Boyd, probably Bennett's greatest supporter says JD is ready to coach FG.

For Bennett to get a contract extension in Brisbane, JD would need to be thrown under the bus again and be prepared to wait another 2-3 seasons.

If Broncos backflip and extend Bennett, we should have a crack at JD.

If Broncos sack Bennett we will be one of several clubs that ought to attempt to sign him.

Can't see our club appointing JD as they had the chance to position him for FG position before he left for Brisbane.

Come on Paul White, sack the old bastard, you don't want him. f**k him off !!!!!!!! PLEASE ..

cussy

Juniors
My take on this- Seibold will coach 2020. Broncos need Bennett to coach next year then will punt him. WB knows this and wants out. They don’t want to pay him out and have an interim coach next year.
No mail just an opinion

WepnutV

Juniors
How? What did he do?
Its not necessarily hate.. But its true if we sign Bennett again, the pain will start again the day he leaves.. Bennett is not a long term solution, but a quick fix

Slackboy72

Coach
Yeah look how that last quick fix worked out for us...

891222-jason-nightingale-dragons.jpg

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
How? What did he do?
Stockholm Syndrome. We'd rather be safe in cosy mediocrity

SGMax

Juniors
I actually thought this was a shrewd move by Bennett. I see it all as an attempt by Bennett to force the club into making public their decision so he can make his about his next move. He mentioned a couple of times he wouldn’t make the decision for them this time, which surprised me as I thought he’d jump before being pushed.

I have no doubt some clubs have sharpened their pencils and have made informal enquiries.

Makes sense RV4L.
Bennett is definitely shrewd and it is one of the reasons for his success.
My take on refusing to make the decision for the board is that he knows they want to move him on after this season.
Bennett also knows that the Dragons will need to pay out McGregor and will be short of funds.
The result is the Broncos sack him with a payout and he signs with the Dragons for a reduced amount in the first year (2019) ashe is being paid from Brisbane.

Might be wishful thinking but I sense Bennett wouldn't mind twisting the knife a little as he departs Red Hill this time.

blacksafake

First Grade
My take on this- Seibold will coach 2020. Broncos need Bennett to coach next year then will punt him. WB knows this and wants out. They don’t want to pay him out and have an interim coach next year.
No mail just an opinion
My mail says you are spot on.
Siebold will be coach in 2020.Unless there is a swap between them this is how it probably plays out.
Our mob won't do anything, they'll let nature run it's course as usual. Unless Wayne contacts Doust & offers his services.