What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to be axed.

Dragon for life

Juniors
If Bennett came to the Dragons, I'd welcome him with open arms. He showed us he had the ablility to mould a team of players together and instil the discipline needed to win a competition. He is a good coach when his heart is in it and I believe the politics he faced at Newcastle and now at Brisbane effects his performance. He can pull the good players for less and improve them in a way that gives players the confidence to perform to their ability. Did wonders for Boyd, Hornby, Young and Weyman. Fixed our soft underbelly with Cosigan, Smith and Scott. Sometimes people have very short memories.
If your chasing a new coach you would be throwing your cheque book at Bellamy. Love him or hate him he has proven year after year that he can keep a team consistently in the top eight or even top four and this is with players coming and going. Maybe leaving in their boats but that’s who I would be chasing.

If your chasing a new coach you would be throwing your cheque book at Bellamy. Love him or hate him he has proven year after year that he can keep a team consistently in the top eight or even top four and this is with players coming and going. Maybe leaving in their boats but that’s who I would be chasing.

Ok, I take issue with this.
Sure the Storm have stayed relevant a lot longer than other teams, they cycle through a lot of players that seem to get better at the Storm.
Now is that Bellamy? Or is it the fact that they have had the Australian spine of Smith, Cronk and Slater to guide those young guys around for ten years.
I guess time will tell.

At least Bennett left his comfort zone at the Broncos and proved he could take a club who were, let's face facts, a basket case when he took over, to a premiership.

BennyV

Referee
Ok, I take issue with this.
Sure the Storm have stayed relevant a lot longer than other teams, they cycle through a lot of players that seem to get better at the Storm.
Now is that Bellamy? Or is it the fact that they have had the Australian spine of Smith, Cronk and Slater to guide those young guys around for ten years.
I guess time will tell.

At least Bennett left his comfort zone at the Broncos and proved he could take a club who were, let's face facts, a basket case when he took over, to a premiership.
They werent the Australian spine when Bellamy took over.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah, I get your point, Mary would've ruined them.
Mary wouldnt have played them!
Really though, it's easy to say that Bellamy has the luxury of the Australian spine but you look past that and over his whole career, it's easy to see how damn good he is.

When Kimmorley left everyone thought Melbourne would faulted, until Bellamy created Cooper Cronk. When Inglis left, he pulled Widdop into 5/8 and they didnt miss a beat. Lost Slater for a year and everyone thought they'd be gone, but in steps Munster and they go to a GF. The only time he didnt immediately recover was the 2008 GF, and I'd argue its near impossible to cover the most influential player in history in the space of a week.

But you look at the mid tier players to see the value of Bellamy. Guys like (Adam and Cheyse) Blair, Proctor, Hinchcliff and Lawrie and they look like world beaters in the Storm team, while elsewhere they are solid at best. Even now, look at Kafusi and FInucane and ask who they were before Bellamy got to them. He has succession plans in place for all the stars moving on, and if they dont work (i.e. Croft) then he finds a back up. He is just that f**king good.

possm

Coach
Our club can't afford him.

BalmainBoy_1969

Juniors

Hate him!

The Chicken Wing. The Grapple. The Crusher. The Cannonball. The Reverse Cannonball. Grego Roman Wrestling and the exploitation of Pressure points. Plus, lets not forget the ever reliable Christmas hold!

Did I leave any out?

People of his ilk are ruining the game. Personally, I think that his style of coaching is the kind of pox that NRL researchers need to find a cure for.

Remember that game a couple of years ago where we scored tries at will and looked a completely different team, then we learned Mary was out for the week with his sick mum and didn’t coach them, that was his death knell
Thrashed Cronulla in round 23 at Kogarah and we looked like world beaters.
Scored some great tries against the ultimate Premiers.
Down 6-12 at half time - scored 26 points and 4 tries in the second half - final score 32-18.
Cronulla at full strength.

Soon after we showed JD the door...
Hail Mary!

Hate him!

The Chicken Wing. The Grapple. The Crusher. The Cannonball. The Reverse Cannonball. Grego Roman Wrestling and the exploitation of Pressure points. Plus, lets not forget the ever reliable Christmas hold!

Did I leave any out?

People of his ilk are ruining the game. Personally, I think that his style of coaching is the kind of pox that NRL researchers need to find a cure for.

Yep, don't want him.

Down 6-12 at half time - scored 26 points and 4 tries in the second half - final score 32-18.

Hail Mary!

That's the one, was there with a great mate who was a Wobegongs supporter, it was glorious

Hail Mary!
Oh BTW - finished 11th that year with 10 wins all year

The old bloke has been a tremendous coach.

Doesn't appear himself at the moment. Bennett may have lost his passion to coach.

The blonde may have secured his focus below the waist line.

I would prefer someone much younger if Mary were to fail this year.

If Broncos sack him I would expect him to retire or head to Super League.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If the criteria is winning Premierships
Would have Demetriou at the helm in a heartbeat.
He would have this squad ripping the comp apart and solving any weakness that exist now.
Having said that, I for one, will never write of Bennett no matter what.
What he did at our club was magical during his tenure.
After an inauspicious start to 2018, the Broncos are now starting to look dangerous once again.
The guy just has so much experience - he knows how to coach.
I would not say no, if he fell into our lap.

Based on what exactly would you have Demitrou at SGI...his first grade experience at NRL level?

The perpetual fawning over an unproven bloke has reached hysterical proportions.

If Demetriou was capable of leading an NRL club, he wouldn't currently be overlooked at Brisbane. After all, it was Bennett who 'headhunter' him a couple of years ago.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's not as crazy as it sounds. Bennett has had coaching relationships with Widdop and Graham for England and brought great form out of them both. And also Hunt of course, although I actually believe Mary has been better coaching Hunt than Bennett ever was.

Either way, I see retirement or GM of footy role as far more likely for old Wayno

Bennett knows an NRL first grade comprises 17 players (including reserves).

McGregor thinks it's only 16.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Based on empirical evidence only, the notion of Bennett returning may not as fanciful as some may believe.

One aspect overlooked is his friendship with Peter Doust - this may (although unlikely) be influential with any decision.

I also feel the Board would have him back in a jiffy.

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that he still has it , however I must agree that he does not appear to be the same ' Bennett ' that he was - he has experienced personal problems of late and the man being only human may have been affected in some way .

As a coach , imo he is still one of the best , behind Bellamy without a doubt but still more then capable of winning a Premiership . He made me damn happy for that 3 year period of ' 09 - '11 .

Brutalitops

Juniors
Wayne Bennett has not lost it at all. I mean, he went to a prelim last year and a grand final 2 years ago (and let's be honest, it probably should have been a premiership if not for a few brain snaps). And 2016 was semis I think?

I'm not saying I would sack Mary for him, but the notion he has lost it based on 12 up and down games always makes me chuckle.